FOR GLORY! Sword & Sorcery Boardgame...

You know... whatever.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

Maxwell Luther
Wild-Eyed Zealot

FOR GLORY! Sword & Sorcery Boardgame...

Post by Maxwell Luther »

The FOR GLORY! Print & Play Demo is up and can be downloaded for free here: http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/1 ... ay-Demo%29

You can find more info on it at my website (http://www.jabberwocky-media.com), but in summary, it will be a big box Sword & Sorcery adventure game based on the Barbarians of Lemuria RPG, produced in conjunction with Chronicle City for release at Gencon 2014.

I'm looking to get folks comments on it over the next few months so that I have any bugs worked out before the Kickstarter begins and ends in January. ..
Skars
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Re: FOR GLORY! Sword & Sorcery Boardgame...

Post by Skars »

I will take a look, will this be a roll and move adventure game ala Talisman or something closer to HeroQuest?
Skars
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Skars »

Oh, and I am willing to playtest.

P.S. I'm "skars" on BGG if you want to check my adventure board game creds ;) I think I own or have played just about all the major ones and most of the obscure ones.
Maxwell Luther
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Maxwell Luther »

It has more to do than Talisman, more choices to make, more flavorful magic, etc. Think of it as an entire RPG campaign that can be played in a single evening.

By the way, I'm moving the Kickstarter to February due to the results of my Crowd-Funding research. There are some birds I need to put in a row to ensure its success on Kickstarter. One of those birds is having something smaller succeed in funding, like Void Hunters or possibly a Mobile App project. Until then, however, I'm very open to opinions on the game. I've had 200+ downloads so far so I expect I'll get some feedback on it shortly.

If you'd like to be an active play-tester, sign up on my Forum at: http://www.jabberwocky-media.com/forum/ and let me know what you think...
Skars
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Skars »

Well, following the flash in the pan that was the HeroQuest kickstarter and looking to Myth, for whom got about a million bucks you can see a couple things:
1. People want a HeroQuest/AHQ/Warhammer Quest update and MB/GW or others trying to capitalize on it through loopholes aren't going to be able to do it anytime soon.
2. Myth and a bunch of what I call "3D Roleplay" after the genre GW coined in the late 80s have now been funded with tons of plastic minis to boot. The pool might be getting a little crowded.

So, what will FOR GLORY do that scratches those powerful itches, while not being redundant? I will absolutely check out the forum to see for myself and try out playtesting, but I thought I would share some initial thoughts.

A product that did it right within the past 10 years, IMO, was called DORN but the obscurity of its origin kept it from hitting mass market and it also didn't quite achieve the campaign feel as it was significantly lighter than your standard rpg. Anyways, thanks I will check out the site.
Maxwell Luther
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Maxwell Luther »

Skars wrote:Well, following the flash in the pan that was the HeroQuest kickstarter and looking to Myth, for whom got about a million bucks you can see a couple things:
1. People want a HeroQuest/AHQ/Warhammer Quest update and MB/GW or others trying to capitalize on it through loopholes aren't going to be able to do it anytime soon.
2. Myth and a bunch of what I call "3D Roleplay" after the genre GW coined in the late 80s have now been funded with tons of plastic minis to boot. The pool might be getting a little crowded.

So, what will FOR GLORY do that scratches those powerful itches, while not being redundant? I will absolutely check out the forum to see for myself and try out playtesting, but I thought I would share some initial thoughts.

A product that did it right within the past 10 years, IMO, was called DORN but the obscurity of its origin kept it from hitting mass market and it also didn't quite achieve the campaign feel as it was significantly lighter than your standard rpg. Anyways, thanks I will check out the site.
It's not Heroquest. For one thing, it's competitive. Players may occasionally trade or cooperate at completing adventures, but there can be only one in the end.

Another difference is that it isn't a 'dungeon-crawler.' Adventures span the width and breadth of Lemuria in search of glory, through defeating random encounters, undertaking mighty adventures and dueling other heroes. There is a dungeon or two in the game, but they are all resolved with a few rolls and maybe a combat encounter or two. Every Round is a Lunar Month, so you can see the scale of campaign we're talking about here.

It's also not 3D role-play. You have (hopefully) some miniature character figures, but everything else is cards and tokens like Talisman or Runebound, although its far more developed than Talisman and far more interactive than Runebound.

Return to “Everything Else”