GoodmanGames BookClub - Sci Fi and Fantasy suggestions

You know... whatever.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

I can't say that I read a lot of science fiction or fantasy, but I did recently finish a book called The Time Traveller's Wife.

My wife had been given a copy by her boss, and about 50 pages in wanted me to read it along with her, so we could discuss it and she could ask about the time travel paradoxes and such (which, as a geek, I was more deeply versed in). Cue a trip to the library....

The basics of the time travelling could make a cool premise for an RPG character in a super-hero or sci-fi setting.

It was a good read and I would recommend it as a book to share with your spouse or [insert appropriate significant other here].
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
fathead
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by fathead »

GnomeBoy wrote:I can't say that I read a lot of science fiction or fantasy, but I did recently finish a book called The Time Traveller's Wife.
It was a good read and I would recommend it as a book to share with your spouse or [insert appropriate significant other here].
My wife had read this novel as part of her book club. She had recommended it to me, and I have yet to read it...

When I finish with my current book (Sword in Red Ice...the latest in the J.V.Jones series of 5 books), I'll have to read this one...
Dark Oracle of Gaming
Jeff LaSala
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Jeff LaSala »

Hey, guys.

This is a one-time-only bit of self-promotion (for these boards, anyway—I yap away on my own website). Yesterday my first novel hit shelves. And in honor of oldschool D&D (DCC-style, to be sure!), there's a tiny bit of dungeoncrawling in the book and even a very oldschool monster which I believe Gary Gygax himself may have created. After yesterday, that now means even more to me. So I hope I've done right by him.

Anyway, that's it. If anyone's interested in this, it's available now!

Back to your regularly scheduled book thread. :)
Goodman Games: DCCs: #29, #31, #35, #48, #49, #51; Hero's Handbooks: Dragonborn, Tieflings; Level Up
Wizards of the Coast: The Darkwood Mask
Blindsided Books: Savant
Ashlock.org; NY Speculative Fiction Examiner
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

Jeff LaSala wrote:Yesterday my first novel hit shelves.
Yes, but can you recommend it as a good book...? :twisted:
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
Jeff LaSala
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Jeff LaSala »

D'oh! Good point, GnomeBoy!

I'll have to defer to someone with an objective opinion. :)

But I'll venture to say....yes! :roll:
Goodman Games: DCCs: #29, #31, #35, #48, #49, #51; Hero's Handbooks: Dragonborn, Tieflings; Level Up
fathead
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by fathead »

This seems to be an appropriate reading suggestion, considering the recent news - has anyone read "Master of the Game" by Gary Gygax. It's non-fiction, but contains some good advice on creating your compaign, running games, adventures for conventions, etc. Anyway, it's been a LONG time since I've read it, and I have it packed away somewhere currently (long story)...but I recall it being a decent read.
Dark Oracle of Gaming
fathead
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Shelfari!!

Post by fathead »

Anybody hear of Shelfari? A friend of mine introduced me to it...kinda like a MySpace for bookworms.

I don't normally sign up to those things, but I rather like it.

If anyone wants to form a GoodmanGames Readers Group, let me know. It would be nice to have other scifi and fantasy suggestions available.

Also, I've checked, and they have comic books as well. Joseph, you'll be happy to know that you can share your adoration of Alien Legion and Metabarons with others...

Anyway, just thought I'd pass it along.
Dark Oracle of Gaming
DCCfan
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer
FLGS: The Comics Club

Re: GoodmanGames BookClub - Sci Fi and Fantasy suggestions

Post by DCCfan »

Try Jack Whyte's The Camulod Chronicles. I found the first book in this series by chance at the library. I was killing time while my wife finished up some homework. I wondered into the historical fiction section and began pulling books off the shelf at random. When I pulled The Skystone down and saw the picture of Roman soldiers I was intrigued. I decided to get it after I read that it was a retelling of the Arthurian legend infused with real world history. Whyte is definitely a straight forward mans author. I love his style. Even when he is describing very feminine things like nurturing and love I can understand what he is getting at with absolute clarity. He is the opposite of Anne Rice who I enjoyed but sometimes felt lost or off track with her poetic style of history. I would highly recomend this series.
"When creating your character,choose an ethical system that can justify nearly any fit of temper, greed, cowardice, or vindictiveness, for example, Chaotic Violent..."

THE PROTOCOLS, ADVANCED PROTOCOL #10
xredjasonx
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Re:

Post by xredjasonx »

Jeff LaSala wrote:Hey, guys.

This is a one-time-only bit of self-promotion (for these boards, anyway—I yap away on my own website). Yesterday my first novel hit shelves. And in honor of oldschool D&D (DCC-style, to be sure!), there's a tiny bit of dungeoncrawling in the book and even a very oldschool monster which I believe Gary Gygax himself may have created. After yesterday, that now means even more to me. So I hope I've done right by him.

Anyway, that's it. If anyone's interested in this, it's available now!

Back to your regularly scheduled book thread. :)
I know many people here may not be fans of Eberron, which I think is an amazing campaign setting that I have spent the last 2+ years adventuring in, but I must say that this book is really really good.
Jeff LaSala
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Jeff LaSala »

Thanks for the kind words, xredjasonx. :)
Sunderstone
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Sunderstone »

The Malazan Book of the Fallen series by Steven Erikson are excellent. Be prepared for a long epic stay.
The Obsidian Trilogy by Mercedes Lackey and James Mallory. I didnt expect much from the first book as I bought it on a whim. The series manage to hold my attention through all three books. These books do elves justice (as im not a fan of elves in general).
The Kingdoms of Thorn and Bone series by Greg Keyes.

Lately Im drifting back to some decent sci-fi and Im currently reading Off Armageddon Reef by David Weber.
Before this I read Julie Czerneda's Species Imperative and enjoyed it.
a.k.a. Mithriltooth
fathead
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by fathead »

Well...I haven't read much worth sharing lately but, I'm really looking forward to a couple of new releases (coming out in October and next week, respectively):

The Hero of Ages by Brandon Sanderson (3rd in the trilogy)

and

The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman

The Graveyard Book is another foray into young adult literature for Gaiman, but I've heard a lot of good things about this book...so I have high hopes.
Dark Oracle of Gaming

Return to “Everything Else”