Tannhauser

You know... whatever.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

Jengenritz
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer

Tannhauser

Post by Jengenritz »

So following the advice of our own ynnen, I checked out the Fantasy Flight demo for Tannhauser...and by "checked out" I mean I walked by briskly in the 20 minutes I had during the entire event to scope the dealer's room.

STILL, in that blur, Tannhauser jumped out. Crazy occult stuff? Zombies? An endless WWI? A completely badass looking board?
What's not to like?

So I was wondering if any of the good folks who frequent this board also saw Tannhauser, what they thought, and if anyone picked it up...
Co-Author: The Almanac of the Endless Traders, DCC #13, DCC #29, DCC #49, DCC #51, DCC #52, DCC #63

Author: DCC #55: Isle of the Sea Drake, DCC #61: Citadel of the Corruptor, more to come....
fathead
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Re: Tannhauser

Post by fathead »

Jengenritz wrote:So following the advice of our own ynnen, I checked out the Fantasy Flight demo for Tannhauser...and by "checked out" I mean I walked by briskly in the 20 minutes I had during the entire event to scope the dealer's room.

STILL, in that blur, Tannhauser jumped out. Crazy occult stuff? Zombies? An endless WWI? A completely badass looking board?
What's not to like?

So I was wondering if any of the good folks who frequent this board also saw Tannhauser, what they thought, and if anyone picked it up...
Well, if the recommendation came from ynnen, who is the resident board game guru, I'm sure it was a good one.

I was able to fit in an Arkham Horror demo (something I've been meaning to do). It was a blast. We'll definitely be playing that in the future.

I kept looking at the Tannhauser table, and it was always full. I'd be interested in hearing impressions on the game as well.

Is it just me, or does it seem that Fantasy Flight put out a LOT of cool board games? I always check out their booth each GenCon.
Dark Oracle of Gaming
tadk
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

I want it

Post by tadk »

I discovered it a month plus ago
I don't own
didnt make Gencon

But I plan to pick it up in the english version when it comes out
Over 30 years spent gaming, all sorts of systems, feel free to ask me anything, no guarantees I will have an answer.
Jengenritz
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer

Post by Jengenritz »

I was able to fit in an Arkham Horror demo (something I've been meaning to do). It was a blast. We'll definitely be playing that in the future.
I researched it a ton before buying in...read reviews that said some good and some bad, so I waffled quite a bit...but then my Castle Whiterock co-author Chris Doyle bought it for me as a present, and my personal verdict is in:
I love that game. It's one of those "board tries to kill you so you best work together" kind of games that really appeal to me. Sure, there's a prize for the ultimate single winner, but after (for example) preventing Shudde M'elle from cracking the world in half, getting the key to the city of Arkham seems like small potatoes.
Co-Author: The Almanac of the Endless Traders, DCC #13, DCC #29, DCC #49, DCC #51, DCC #52, DCC #63

Author: DCC #55: Isle of the Sea Drake, DCC #61: Citadel of the Corruptor, more to come....
fathead
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by fathead »

I'm definitely a fan of Arkham Horror, and I wouldn't be surprised if it quickly makes its way up as one of our favorites. The collaborative games are great (this way, there is no threat of having to sleep on the couch).

Ummm...so....anyone played Tannhauser?

ynnen? Do you have a condensed review for us?
Dark Oracle of Gaming
ynnen
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by ynnen »

i've not played it myself, but have been reading a lot of the buzz about it over at the FFG web site and BoardGameGeek.com -- here's the Tannhauser page for more details:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/25261

I'm a big fan of coop or "hybrid" games that combine some RP and boardgame elements... If you liked Arkham Horror, I'd check out the coop Lord of the Rings boardgame by Reiner Knizia, or try to snag a copy of the GDW classic Minion Hunter based on the Dark Conspiracy boardgame.
Crypt of the Devil Lich, Dungeon Interludes, The Mask of Death, Adventure Begins, Vault of the Dragon Kings, the Power Gamers Wizard Strategy Guide, The Adventure Continues, Palace in the Wastes and PhoenixCrawl Open
fathead
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by fathead »

Thanks ynnen. I actually did drop by BGG and read up a bit on Tannhauser after I responded to Jengenritz's post.

We have LOTR already, and Tim & Nic have a copy of Arkham Horror. I'll definitely take a look at Minion Hunter though. I had read through Dark Conspiracy (ran a couple adventures in it, but never any prolonged campaign), so the theme definitely interests me.

Yeah, I'm fond of the coop board games, so thanks for the recommendation!
Dark Oracle of Gaming

Return to “Everything Else”