D&D Next Edition

You know... whatever.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

reverenddak

D&D Next Edition

Post by reverenddak »

Yup, it's been announced. The following statement, by Mearls, is very reassuring:
"We seek to build a foundation for the long-term health and growth of D&D, one rooted in the vital traits that make D&D unique and special. We want a game that rises above differences of play styles, campaign settings, and editions, one that takes the fundamental essence of D&D and brings it to the forefront of the game. In short, we want a game that is as simple or complex as you please, its action focused on combat, intrigue, and exploration as you desire. We want a game that is unmistakably D&D, but one that can easily become your D&D, the game that you want to run and play."
(Emphasis mine.)

It's a bold statement, but it makes me happy. Since I stopped playing 4e, I've decided my home campaign will always be some sort of "home-brew", by taking the best of what I like from other games (D&D, official & otherwise), sprinkled with some of my own inventions. DCC RPG encouraged this kind of play, plus the "core" rules hit a sweet-spot for me. 3e was always "too much", and 4e went in a direction that disenfranchised players that "liked" some of the old ways, i.e. Vancian magic, etc.

I suspect that the "core" of the next edition will look a lot like 3e & 4e, which will probably influence the "Living" campaigns and Tournament play. But there will be a lot of extra or optional rules in there that can be used to make the game our own. This is what I'm hoping for. What I liked about DCC RPG was it was "mostly" compatible with every other "D&D" game (official & their simulacra.) A 1-level fighter in DCC worked fine in 1e, 2e, 3x, LL, S&W, LotFP, with minor modifications. While had to be completely re-done for 4e, that was the deal breaker for me (and it took 2 years to come to this.)

The last two sentences, (in bold) from Mearl's statement, clinches it for me. I hope they figure this out, and I totally see it being possible.
Reverend Dakota Jesus Ultimak, S.S.M.o.t.S.M.S., D.M.

(Dungeon) Master In Chief of Crawl! fanzine. - http://www.crawlfanzine.com/

"[...] there is no doubt that Dungeons and Dragons and its imitators are right out of the pit of hell." - William Schnoebelen, Straight talk on Dungeons & Dragons
Devil Swine
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Re: D&D Next Edition

Post by Devil Swine »

The Rumor on the street is that Greyhawk will be the default setting again. Mostly this rumor is caused by me going around saying that with no proof or any clue other than one rumor that keeps getting repeated by me.

Just saying.
mythfish
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by mythfish »

Devil Swine wrote:The Rumor on the street is that Greyhawk will be the default setting again. Mostly this rumor is caused by me going around saying that with no proof or any clue other than one rumor that keeps getting repeated by me.

Just saying.
Maybe if we all start saying it enough, it will become true.
Dieter Zimmerman
[[Faceless Minion of the Dark Master]]
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

Devil Swine wrote:The Rumor on the street is that Greyhawk will be the default setting again.
I heard that Forgotten Realms would be the default. A bummer, since I'd much prefer to see Greyhawk.
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman

Return to “Everything Else”