Pick a MOVIE for me.

You know... whatever.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

reverenddak

Pick a MOVIE for me.

Post by reverenddak »

It has to be on netflix, play instantly. It's got to be fantasy, and preferably something I haven't seen recently.

Bonus prize to the guy who can remember the movie with the archer guy that would get more arrows magically. I can't remember because it was around 30 years ago when I saw it. I've been obsessed with this since returning to playing D&D...
Reverend Dakota Jesus Ultimak, S.S.M.o.t.S.M.S., D.M.

(Dungeon) Master In Chief of Crawl! fanzine. - http://www.crawlfanzine.com/

"[...] there is no doubt that Dungeons and Dragons and its imitators are right out of the pit of hell." - William Schnoebelen, Straight talk on Dungeons & Dragons
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Re: Pick a MOVIE for me.

Post by goodmangames »

Krull!!!

Watched it a couple months ago on instant download.

Or, if you're an Appendix N fan: The Raven. This one, the 1963 movie -- it's the origin of a portion of the D&D magic system:
http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/The-R ... kid=438403

I watched it a couple months ago but now it doesn't seem to be showing as "available" anymore on Netflix, though.
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
reverenddak

Post by reverenddak »

Krull?! I keep forgetting about this movie. I don't think I've seen it in 30 years. If I stay awake, The Raven will follow.

I just watched Vidocq (aka Dark Portals: The Chronicles of Vidocq) on Netflix, wowza. Cheezy, French, but Weird Pulpy goodness. Gerard Depardieu as an action hero?! Mysterious and fantastic murders, virgin sacrifices and a soul sucking end monster! Yep.

"[...] there is no doubt that Dungeons and Dragons and its imitators are right out of the pit of hell." - William Schnoebelen, Straight talk on Dungeons & Dragons
DCCfan
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer
FLGS: The Comics Club

Post by DCCfan »

I loved Krull when I was younger. I even tried to make a monster army with a spear that shot a magic missile out of one end. Just like the movie.
"When creating your character,choose an ethical system that can justify nearly any fit of temper, greed, cowardice, or vindictiveness, for example, Chaotic Violent..."

THE PROTOCOLS, ADVANCED PROTOCOL #10
mshensley
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by mshensley »

I've been hearing a lot of good reviews from gamers for Black Death-

http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Black ... id=2438336

I haven't watched it yet myself though. It is in my instant queue.
mythfish
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by mythfish »

I never cared for Krull even when I was a kid. My cheesy 80's fantasy movie of choice was Dragonslayer. Or maybe Beastmaster.

Or...what was the name of that one where the guy had a sword with 3 blades and 2 of them could shoot from the sword? Now that was a cheesy fantasy movie.
Dieter Zimmerman
[[Faceless Minion of the Dark Master]]
reverenddak

Post by reverenddak »

Thanks guys for the suggestions.

OK, so I watched Krull! I only remembered three things from that movie from when I saw it as a kid; the "Glave", the main character and the Cyclops and his "Time to die." It was totally worth watching, if anything for the nostalgia. The whole time I was thinking about how I could create those items for D&D. There was a bit of Sword & Planet, but everything else was classic Pulp. From the Widow of the Web and the dopplegangers. Lots of logic thrown out the door. Some actions made no sense and there were some characters there with no purpose. Good stuff.

I forgot about Black Death, I'm going to look into that too.

I liked Sword & the Sorcerer as kid, I need to see it again, and see if it holds up. Also if you haven't seen Hawk the Slayer in a while, you need to see it.

finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

mythfish wrote:what was the name of that one where the guy had a sword with 3 blades and 2 of them could shoot from the sword? Now that was a cheesy fantasy movie.
Was that "The Sword and the Sorcerer" starring Lee Horsley?
I think they were supposed to make a sequel of that one but I'm not sure it ever got done.
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
mythfish
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by mythfish »

Yeah, that's the one!
Dieter Zimmerman
[[Faceless Minion of the Dark Master]]
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

mythfish wrote:Yeah, that's the one!
Actually, Wikipedia claims that there is a sequel, but I've never heard of it. And the sequel seems to hint at a third movie. :shock:

Took 'em how long to make #2 and then they actually think they'll get around to #3? :lol:
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman

Return to “Everything Else”