monster help needed

Talk about rules, campaigns, worlds, products, other companies, D&D in general, and anything else d20 or D&D related.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

Hind
Ill-Fated Peasant

monster help needed

Post by Hind »

Hi all. I'm the author if several DCCs (Aerie of the Crow God, legend of the Ripper, etc.) and I need your help. I am working on an adventure for my playgroup that heavily features a wax golem, which I understand appeared in a past issue of Dragon (Issue #341 i believe), and considering buying that issue to save me time in creating my own wax golem. Does anyone have that issue and have thoughts on the monster as presented? Can someone summarise it for me (in broadstrokes, of course) to give me an idea of its presentation is how I envision my golem to be?

As an aside, I'd be interested in heraing general thoughts on wax golems---how should they look, what powers/weaknesses should they have, etc.

Thanks in advance for your time

Andrew Hind
JediOre
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by JediOre »

I don't have the magazine, but I would suggest a wax golem's worst nightmare is going to be fire or heat.
Hind
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Hind »

I agree, fire would defiently get a wax golem quite nervous. I think cold-based spells might actually heal damage inflicted by fire, but possibly result in grotesque disfigurement (like what happens to a rapidly cooled candle).
Barrataria
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Barrataria »

There's some discussion of wax golems in B1 In Search of the Unknown. Don't have a citation offhand...

BB
Goblin
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Goblin »

The Wax Golem in the Dragon Magazine is part of the Lesser Golems.
These Golems are mostly for beginners casters. i.e Paper golem.

The Wax Golem was nothing special, except for it's large bonus in disguise skill. The Wax Golems are very popular among paranoid leaders, because they are most useful as decoy.

That is the strength of the Wax Golem, the sculptor can make it look like anybody. Fire damage whether magical or mundane slows the Wax construct.
Blackdirge
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Blackdirge »

You, my friend, are in luck. Wizards used to run a series of short, free adventures on their website called cliffhangers. One of them featured a new monster: the wax golem.

Here's the link to the critter. It's 3.0, but shuld be a cinch to convert.

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp? ... h20001218b

BD
tadk
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

well

Post by tadk »

well that is a little light for a CR3 critter
Almost just a CR1.5 the way I like to run things

So let us know how the party fares against it

Return to “d20/D&D Conversation”