Combat systems

Talk about rules, campaigns, worlds, products, other companies, D&D in general, and anything else d20 or D&D related.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

Warduke
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Combat systems

Post by Warduke »

Does anyone know if "Iron Heroes" accounts for exaustion in combat? Does anyone have a home rule that does this?
walrusjester
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by walrusjester »

I don't believe the core IH books cover exhaustion -- it's rare that Conan (the archetypal IH-style hero, I think) needs a Gatorade break. My first thought on creating such a system would be to use the hero's CON score as the number of rounds/minutes/desired time increments that they can exert themselves before they need to start making Fortitude saves. Hope that helps.
DragonMech line developer, freelance writer, tall guy named Matt.
Warduke
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Warduke »

Hehehehe. Good point.
jstater
Gongfarmer

Post by jstater »

I don't know how useful this is to you, but 2nd edition AD&D's Player's Option: Combat book had a system for this. My recollection is that each PC could fight for their Constitution score in rounds (I think double that for warrior types) before becoming fatigued. They would then begin the countdown again before becoming exhausted. I don't remember how they defined fatigued and exhausted, but the 3rd edition definitions should suffice.
mudpyr8
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by mudpyr8 »

Hackmaster actually has a good rule for this.

Fatigue Factor is CON/2
Fatigue Check is (CON+WIS)/2; d20 less than or equal to

FF is the # of rounds you can fight without exhaustion. After that, make a Fatigue Check every round. If you fail: -1 STR & DEX

To d20-ize it, I'd make the FF CON/2 and the FC a DC 10 Wisdom Check - the will to keep fighting. CON is already factored in directly as the # of rounds to fight.

OPTION #2
Allow players to make a DC 10 CON check. If they make it, they can gain +1 to Hit, +1 Damage, or move 5' extra, pushing themselves. If they fail, they can't get the bonus and are -1 STR & DEX.

OPTION #3
Look at a game like the Hero System that has an Endurance system built into all actions.
Legendsmiths presents: Narosia * Sea of Tears, a complete fantasy setting for the Hero System. Visit www.narosia.com

Return to “d20/D&D Conversation”