Paizo sticks to 3.5 for Pathfinder

Talk about rules, campaigns, worlds, products, other companies, D&D in general, and anything else d20 or D&D related.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

Argamae
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Paizo sticks to 3.5 for Pathfinder

Post by Argamae »

As it turns out Paizo Publishing (Pathfinder, GameMastery) will release a special Pathfinder-RPG based off of the 3.5 rules, thereby keeping the rules in circulation. An alpha version of their rulebook (scheduled for August 2009) is available for download from their homepage.

Since I am one who will not switch to 4E I find this announcement quite appealing. On the other hand this move seems quite daring if not downright foolhardy. Will there be enough 3.5 fans to keep the sales up? What do you think about this?
The lucky guy who gets to translate DCCs into German!
Done so far:
DCC#1, DCC #11, DCC #28, DCC #17, DCC #17.5 :)
Cardinal
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Cardinal »

the alpha playtest files sure look nice - and they may open up this Pathfinder RPG to other companies!!!
trancejeremy
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by trancejeremy »

Well, the trouble (IMHO) is that it's not 3.5, but closer to 3.75. That reduces its appeal to me.
Hybban
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Hybban »

trancejeremy wrote:Well, the trouble (IMHO) is that it's not 3.5, but closer to 3.75. That reduces its appeal to me.
That is exactly what I was thinking. I am one the guys that think DD4 will be fun to play. I don't give a d... that it is called DnD or whatever. I like the rules they have proposed so far.

But the idea of being able to go on with 3.5 was nice too, especially for all my DCC modules and being able to play them with new players that could have bought another core books for them. But it won't be 3.5.

And instead of creating another 3.75 core book, why not use one already published, with fans waiting for that (like Arcana Evolved, Iron Heroes, True 20, C&C, Book of experimental might, etc.)

Paizo are great module/campaign writers, but this decision is strange.

Hyb'
moriarty777
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by moriarty777 »

Hybban wrote:<snip>
Paizo are great module/campaign writers, but this decision is strange.

Hyb'
On the contrary... I think the decision makes perfect sense. As soon as 4th Ed is out, you can bet that WOTC won't be printing anymore of the 3.5 books (if they haven't stopped already). They're just making sure that their is some sort of rule book which is in print for their endeavors.

;)

M
Hybban
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Hybban »

moriarty777 wrote: On the contrary... I think the decision makes perfect sense. As soon as 4th Ed is out, you can bet that WOTC won't be printing anymore of the 3.5 books (if they haven't stopped already). They're just making sure that their is some sort of rule book which is in print for their endeavors.

;)

M
Sure, if they were really sticking to 3.5. But Pathfinder is fa from 3.5, it's as close than Arcana Evolved, Iron Heroes or Book of Experimental Might. Maening that all your 3.5 books won't have a place in PRPG. I'd go with Monte cook if I wanna stay close to 3.5. But I'll go with Goodman and 4th editition :)

Hyb'
joela
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

PFRPG

Post by joela »

Hybban wrote:
moriarty777 wrote: Sure, if they were really sticking to 3.5. But Pathfinder is fa from 3.5, it's as close than Arcana Evolved, Iron Heroes or Book of Experimental Might.
AE and IH are variant PHs while BoXM provides optional rules from Cook's campaign that DMs can incorporate into their games. PRPG, or 3P, is being designed to replace the Core books once WotC stops publishing them.
What do you mean no?
tadk
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Paizo

Post by tadk »

I am not going to 4.0
Heck I didnt go to 3.5 I stayed at 3.0

So I like what I am seeing so far in 3.75
Heck I mostly just use Modern anyways if I am going to game regular d20 anyways
Over 30 years spent gaming, all sorts of systems, feel free to ask me anything, no guarantees I will have an answer.
The Desert Yeti
Gongfarmer

Post by The Desert Yeti »

I think that IF Paizo manages to stick to their stated goal of backward compatibility with 3.5, such that those who want to do so can run Paizo's adventures using their old 3.5 books, it's a fantastic idea.

Tough to say at this point whether or not it's a good decision from a business standpoint, but simply as a gamer, I applaud it and look forward to seeing how they iron out the final release with such a massive "play test."
The Desert Yeti
Goodman Games Shipping
trancejeremy
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by trancejeremy »

Well, compatability is a somewhat nebulous thing. Almost anything can be compatable with something else, depending on how much work you do as GM. As is, based on the Alpha rules, it will be less compatible than 3.5 was to 3.0 (and vice-versa).

Anyway, I don't see that they had a lot of choice. Since WOTC hasn't even produced a GSL for companies to look at, to see what they can or can't do for 4e, much less the rules themselves, they were in a pretty tight situation.

Most other d20 companies jumped ship to their own systems long ago, seeing this coming. And some, like Necromancer, are basically part time companies (they don't even publish stuff themselves, but use other companies). But Paizo has several full time employees.
tacojohn4547
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by tacojohn4547 »

trancejeremy wrote:Well, compatability is a somewhat nebulous thing. Almost anything can be compatable with something else, depending on how much work you do as GM. As is, based on the Alpha rules, it will be less compatible than 3.5 was to 3.0 (and vice-versa).
<snip>
Well stated! :D

Despite conventional wisdom to the contrary, material for all of the later versions of D&D (AD&D 1st Edition, AD&D 2nd Edition, D&D 3.0, 3.5 Ed) can be converted back to OD&D or any previous version, if one is willing to 'invest' the time and effort to do so. :)
Hybban
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Hybban »

Yeah it's a question of the level of compatibility you want. Some DD3.x PNJ have some strange classes. For old D&D versions or C&C, you just have to do with...

But if the wizard 5/rogue 5/Arcane Trickster 5 (and I only use SRD classes) becomes an Illusionist 12 in C&C with spells used for rogue actions, I will consider my conversion is good enough.

I think that using paizo's stuff and other publishers' stuff together won't be 'much' of a problem. Some monster may be stronger, some waeker, some classes or races may require some additional work, but as long as everybody have fun...

Hyb'
Seben-PistonRager
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Seben-PistonRager »

yeah... From what i can tell the real reason they are putting it out is to make money since a lot of people are reacting very badly to 4th ed.
I've got a bionic ear!

But, there is no mechanic to support it!
Hybban
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Hybban »

Seben-PistonRager wrote:yeah... From what i can tell the real reason they are putting it out is to make money since a lot of people are reacting very badly to 4th ed.
I hope they want to make money. When you see what happended to WEG... They are not here to live on fresh air :)

There seems to be a market. People want to go on using their 3.5 books because they have invested hundreds (thousands?) of dollar on them. I understand that. Paizo wants to give these players what they want, and that is good.

But when the 4th edition will be out for several months, if the content is appealing to the masses and if Paizo is too far from being completely compatible, and mostly when the 'it's new, it's great' effect will have worn off, will see if their idea was good.

What is great is that with Necromancer, they will still publish 4th edition material :)

Hyb'
Seben-PistonRager
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Seben-PistonRager »

eh... I'm very excited for 4th ed...

and hopefully the guy in my group that is ancy about it will like it more after this weeks game(we'll be doing another one of the premade 4th ed dungeon beat'em ups) And he's one of those obsessive need to buy all the third party game stuff, kinda guys. Though he is the one that started the group on playing Dragonmech, so at least that wasn't bad...
I've got a bionic ear!

But, there is no mechanic to support it!
PeelSeel2
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Re: Paizo sticks to 3.5 for Pathfinder

Post by PeelSeel2 »

Flaky decision for them. Won't work. Too bad for them.
Stile De Mornay
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Stile De Mornay »

I would suggest folks to check out the new Alpha 3 they just released. It's not any more different than a splat book imo...

Some of the skills they've combined makes sense.. some don't.

I like the added features for the classes.

They changed some other things, like getting +1 HP if you in your favored class.

It isn't that different.

They produce great adventures and I'm glad they're sticking with 3.5 (in a sense.)

Even better.. they're sticking with 3.5 without their version until August 09 - which is when they'll publish their Pathfinder RPG.

Just my thoughts...
Jengenritz
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer

Post by Jengenritz »

I liked what I've seen for Pathfinder...most of the changes are welcome and well-done.
Co-Author: The Almanac of the Endless Traders, DCC #13, DCC #29, DCC #49, DCC #51, DCC #52, DCC #63

Author: DCC #55: Isle of the Sea Drake, DCC #61: Citadel of the Corruptor, more to come....
Jonathan_Shade
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Jonathan_Shade »

I haven't been up to date with Pathfinder products for a long time, been GM'ing 2nd edition for years now. But I did take a look at Pathfinder RPG and I do like what I see. I am really impressed by the class features, and "fixes" they claim are in 3.x. Grapple rules are excellent. It is really worth the look and decide if it is what your group would enjoy.
Knight of Roses
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Knight of Roses »

I am quite excited about Pathfinder and I imagine my game with become some sort of nightmarish 3.x/Pathfinder hybrid once the rules are officially out . . .
"Walk with Honor."

Visit the scenic and magical Sea of Stars!
Kodyax
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Kodyax »

I have been a loyal fan of Paizo for many years. Pathfinder to me is what 4E should have been.

Return to “d20/D&D Conversation”