How big is your group?

Talk about rules, campaigns, worlds, products, other companies, D&D in general, and anything else d20 or D&D related.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

Argamae
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Argamae »

Some years back I decided to have a maximum of 4 players in my group, although this sometimes depends on what RPG we are playing.
With 4 gamers + 1 DM (me) there is less distraction from players who aren't "on stage" and I have more opportunites to involve the players and their characters' stories within the campaign. Also, with less players there it is more likely to agree on a date for the next gaming session. :wink:

There have been occasions when I DMed 5 players - but this ususally happens only on Cons or the like.
The lucky guy who gets to translate DCCs into German!
Done so far:
DCC#1, DCC #11, DCC #28, DCC #17, DCC #17.5 :)
kgeilman
Ill-Fated Peasant

Re: How big is your group?

Post by kgeilman »

LVSUBARU wrote:I am curious to know how many people are in everybody's gaming group. And what size of a group do you prefer.
I play with 4 guys total, 3 PC's and 1 DM. It's a small group, but we are all really good friends and enjoy a smaller group.
I dont know if this counts, but we have national club with Judges Guild and Eostros Games called Game base 7 and have a group of about 200 members, we dont all play together, but we do at Gen Con.

Otherwise, my local group is about 25 members, and yes, sometimes it gets crowded, up to 15 at the table, the others play occasionally or in games on other nights. Our normal is about 8 players.

Kara Geilman
Eostros Games
Kara Geilman
Mistress of the Wilderlands
kgeilman@eostros.com
http://www.eostros.com
Life is short, live it well, today could be your last.
Scottenkainen
Ill-Fated Peasant

In case anyone's keeping track

Post by Scottenkainen »

Currently, 5 players (plus DM). My last campaign ended with 6 players, though we had many more of the length of the campaign.

~Scott "-enkainen" Casper
Treebore
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Treebore »

4 Players in one, 6 in the other, 2 of which play in both.
Castles and Crusades is my game of choice!
SavageRobby
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by SavageRobby »

We have 8 core members of the group, including the DM (which rotates), plus one remote, who is still an honorary member even if he doesn't game with us regularly. We're also considering bringing another 2 in.
jfrenia
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by jfrenia »

We have 5 players and 1 DM, we often cycle DMs, but I've been our DM for the past 8 months or so.
- Joseph Frenia
Jezza
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Jezza »

In my regular game running RHoD, 4 players.
In the casual game, up to 6 (currently running DCC 44)
fathead
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by fathead »

My group has 4 players (5 when my wife can make it...she is getting her MBA, so she can't always make it on a weekly basis) and 1 GM. I had been GMing every week for about 14 years straight...and then suffered from burnout. Now, one of the players took over as the GM, and has been GMing for the past 2 or 3 years.

I've always found 5 players to be the right amount. 6 players is still reasonable, but anything beyond that is too much. The role of the GM is to provide a story to involve and challenge the players. The more players that you have in the group, the more difficult it is for the GM to really cater to each PC. On the flipside, fewer players makes it less interesting for the GM. Good groups can really help drive the plot and create new adventures...and a larger number of players to interact with always helps.

One other observation - rules lawyers are fine, as are solid and experienced players...but what really livens up a group are stupid/silly players. It may sound counterproductive, but it's really not. Stupid players are more liable to fall into traps, get themselves (and the group) into trouble, and do unpredictable things. All of these make for terrific stories and memories. Some of my fondest campaign stories were brought about by dumb actions. So...recruit a foolish player. You won't be disappointed. ;)
Dark Oracle of Gaming
jfrenia
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by jfrenia »

fathead wrote:One other observation - rules lawyers are fine, as are solid and experienced players...but what really livens up a group are stupid/silly players. It may sound counterproductive, but it's really not. Stupid players are more liable to fall into traps, get themselves (and the group) into trouble, and do unpredictable things. All of these make for terrific stories and memories. Some of my fondest campaign stories were brought about by dumb actions. So...recruit a foolish player. You won't be disappointed. ;)
Wow, I never thought about it that way, but that's a very good point!
- Joseph Frenia
SavageRobby
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by SavageRobby »

fathead wrote:One other observation - rules lawyers are fine, as are solid and experienced players...but what really livens up a group are stupid/silly players. It may sound counterproductive, but it's really not. Stupid players are more liable to fall into traps, get themselves (and the group) into trouble, and do unpredictable things. All of these make for terrific stories and memories. Some of my fondest campaign stories were brought about by dumb actions. So...recruit a foolish player. You won't be disappointed. ;)
I have to disagree with premise, but agree with the outcome. I find foolish/silly players detract from the game play, memorable situations or not.

However, I love games that have Hindrances/Disadvantages or similar mechanics (and often import them into games that don't), specifically because of the situations that arise when players play their character's Hindrances faithfully. Have a Curious character? Make sure to put a lever there. Have a character with a Phobia? Make sure they run into the object their phobia periodically. Like you said, some of our most memorable stories come from good players playing up their character's Hindrances, both comedic and dramatic.
fathead
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by fathead »

SavageRobby wrote: I have to disagree with premise, but agree with the outcome. I find foolish/silly players detract from the game play, memorable situations or not.
I suppose I should qualify it a bit more. I'm not suggesting recruiting a player who is disruptive and constantly hamming it up. Perhaps "silly" was the wrong word.

The bulk of my group consists of methodical players. They plan everything well, rarely make mistakes, and know the rules well. Most of them stay in character well (even to the point of making mistakes)...but they are more predictable.

I had GMed every week for 14 years. In that time, I've had two players (both at different times) who I'd qualify as foolish players. The 1st one wouldn't think about possible outcomes to his actions (which inevitably would lead to memorable results) and would sometimes do something so spontaneous, that even I couldn't have predicted it. The 2nd player was extremely smart and comical (not to the point of being distracting)...but he was an off-the-cuff player, which added an element of randomness to the game.
Dark Oracle of Gaming
Hamakto
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Hamakto »

Our group of players sits officially at seven players and one DM. I DM'd the group fairly steadily for a long time, but recently one of the players took over DM duties and is doing a very good job.

But overall, this group of players have been together in one form or another since 1988 (ok a few drops and a few additions). And over that period of time, we had three DM's. So we have had a fairly consistent set of campaigns over that time frame.

Our current campaign we started in early 2003 and it is still going strong!
Andy
Blood Kings
2007 & 2008 DCC Tourney Champion
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

fathead wrote:Some of my fondest campaign stories were brought about by dumb actions. So...recruit a foolish player. You won't be disappointed. ;)

In my group we have Balzak the Half-Orc Barbarian. He charges into the heart of the army encampment while we're sitting, trying to make a plan of attack. When disscussing what equipment we need to sneak into the villain's citadel, he's walking over to the front door and just knocking.

He's played by a brilliant player who keeps the rest of us from overthinking.

Not that there haven't been a few times when the rest of us really wanted to develop a plan, that was subsequently tossed out the window. But those are few and far between and there's never less than fun to be had when my friend Rick plays Balzak.
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
Jonathan_Shade
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Jonathan_Shade »

We have a total of 5 players and myself as the DM. We have been running through a campaign for 2nd Edition for the last 18+ years. Finally very close to finishing the campaign.
Cardinal
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Cardinal »

number of players in the groups I GM:

D&D3.5 - Wilderlands: 5 (slowly running out)
D&D3.5 - Áereth: 6
GURPS4e - Cabal: 3
GURPS4e - homebrew (interdimensional fantasy pirates): 6
GURPS4e - homebrew (fantasy): 5
GURPS4e - Warp World conversion (post-apocalyptic fantasy): 5

number of players in the group where I play:

Warhammer Fantasy RP2e: 6
GURPS4e - homebrew (semi-postapocalyptic sf, influenced by Firefly, Fallout, Stargate): 6
curmudgeon
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by curmudgeon »

My current gaming group, which plays D&D 3.25 (A mix of mostly 3.0 with a few house rules added), is nine players and the DM. We started at nine players, went down to seven when two players quit, then up to eight, then again up to nine. This is in the span of about 5 years or so.
Hybban
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Hybban »

I have 8 players for my 4E campaign. One for each class. It will be so slow for them to progress that some may quit before the end of the year...

For my C&C, I have only 3 players, 2 may join in August when we'll start again.

Hyb'
DCCfan
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer
FLGS: The Comics Club

Post by DCCfan »

In our Wed. night game for the past four years we have had six in our core group. Sometimes a friend or wife of someone will come bumping us to eight. On Saturdays we have five. I just joined the Sat. game and have heard that it has been as low as three people before. One member is gone for months at a time for work. When he is home that puts us at six. I also play Castle Whiterock with my two children when they unplug from their video games.
"When creating your character,choose an ethical system that can justify nearly any fit of temper, greed, cowardice, or vindictiveness, for example, Chaotic Violent..."

THE PROTOCOLS, ADVANCED PROTOCOL #10
Jengenritz

Post by Jengenritz »

I also play Castle Whiterock with my two children when they unplug from their video games.
Sweet! How are they liking it?
Co-Author: The Almanac of the Endless Traders, DCC #13, DCC #29, DCC #49, DCC #51, DCC #52, DCC #63

Author: DCC #55: Isle of the Sea Drake, DCC #61: Citadel of the Corruptor, more to come....
DCCfan

Post by DCCfan »

They enjoy it in small doses. I on the other hand could play all day long. They tend to fizzle out after about two hours. We have really enjoyed The Inn of the Slumbering Drake. Playing darts, drinking ale, and feasting at Chauntessa's special table for victorious adventurers has bean great fun for them. Some times I think the only reason they go to Casle Whiterock is to get more money for the inn. They have also enjoyed becoming local heroes after rescuing the slaves trapped in the mine. They have had lots of fun interacting with Cookie and the regular patrons. This is a well thought out part of the material. You don't even have to go to the castle. There is just so much there that it is easy to have adventures right in town. I think that we will be happily playing this campaign for years to come. :D
"When creating your character,choose an ethical system that can justify nearly any fit of temper, greed, cowardice, or vindictiveness, for example, Chaotic Violent..."

Jengenritz

Post by Jengenritz »

Yeah, Messers. Stroh and Doyle put a lot of love into the Inn and Cillamar.

Gotta say, that post puts a smile on my face!
Co-Author: The Almanac of the Endless Traders, DCC #13, DCC #29, DCC #49, DCC #51, DCC #52, DCC #63

Author: DCC #55: Isle of the Sea Drake, DCC #61: Citadel of the Corruptor, more to come....
DCCfan

Post by DCCfan »

Jengenritz wrote:Yeah, Messers. Stroh and Doyle put a lot of love into the Inn and Cillamar.

Gotta say, that post puts a smile on my face!
Well the three of us will be at GENCON this year so maybe we will see some of you at the GG booth. That way we can thank everyone in person for all the good times we've had at the Inn.

Jengenritz

Post by Jengenritz »

If you get time, swing on by Union Station (over by the Omni and the Crowne Plaza). Doyle and/or I will be manning the tournament station and could use the company.

DCCfan

Post by DCCfan »

Sounds good. We will stop by and introduce our selves. If its around our True Dungeon run we might even be in costume. In past years I really didn't have the guts to dress up by myself. However with my kids tagging along it just seems like good fun. We are taking a couple of workshops to make foam swords and shields as well. I can't wait to try them out. I feel like a little kid again. This is going to be a great GENCON.

CharlieRock
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by CharlieRock »

We have had various sizes over the years. Started out (as far as D&D3E goes) 2 players and a DM. Then we got three players and a DM going. The next year we had five regular players and two sometimes players and a DM. Last year we shrank back down to four players, all showing up regularly, and a DM. At the moment we are starting a new campaign with only three players and a DM.
Now, our C&C game is two players (two characters each) and a CK.
Roll for initiative!!!

Return to “d20/D&D Conversation”