Player "Problems"

Talk about rules, campaigns, worlds, products, other companies, D&D in general, and anything else d20 or D&D related.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

jfrenia
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Player "Problems"

Post by jfrenia »

Just seeing how other DMs handle this, but here's the issue. You have a player who is playing say a wizard of superior intelligence. The group is presented with a riddle or problem that the "character" could probably figure out with no problem, but the player just can't figure it out.

I know the general way to handle it would be if he can't figure it out, too bad. Or, you could have him roll an Intelligence check and give him the answer, but I'm just curious if any DMs have a creative way to handle this situation.
- Joseph Frenia
JediOre
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by JediOre »

I'd drop some hints.

Is it a life or death kinda riddle? Will the game end if they fail to solve it? If so, I'd drop some big hints. If not, little to no hints.

No one I game with wants things handed to them, but at the same time, it's just a game and if a puzzle or riddle is simply beyond the players, why ruin a good time?
jfrenia
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by jfrenia »

I definitely agree with you there and the group I DM definitely doesn't like things handed to them, but I know I've had times as a DM that they are completely off track and you know the "character" would probably get it based on their years of training in a subject. But, I like the hints idea, guess as I plan something like this I should be some hints prepped ahead of time.
- Joseph Frenia
Jengenritz
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer

Post by Jengenritz »

If this is a recurring problem, or it's a campaign-ender if they DON'T get it, then I would probably do the following:

Determine a Knowledge that this could relate to, set an escalating series of DCs, assign a hint to each DC, with the higher up hints being more specific.
Basically work it like a Gather Information check.

If it's a really irregular problem, then I'd just let it be. Genius does not equal omniscience, and sometimes reallly smart people don't know something they should.
Co-Author: The Almanac of the Endless Traders, DCC #13, DCC #29, DCC #49, DCC #51, DCC #52, DCC #63

Author: DCC #55: Isle of the Sea Drake, DCC #61: Citadel of the Corruptor, more to come....
jfrenia
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by jfrenia »

Jengenritz wrote:Genius does not equal omniscience, and sometimes reallly smart people don't know something they should.
Good point and I prefer that they figure it out on their own and I know they like to figure it out on their own, but I hate it when a campaign ends at an impassible door ;-)
- Joseph Frenia
zirzird
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by zirzird »

I think this all comes down to what type of group you have. Either it's a group who wants to roleplay their decision making processes (less emphasis on skills and abilities), or it's a group that wants their stats taken into account when making decisions (more emphasis on skills and abilities). As DM, I say "play to the group." I think Jengenritz's solution is pretty cool. With all the attention being given to staggered DC's for Knowledge checks these days, I think it's a great way to handle basic Int-type checks when the players want to roll their way out of a problem.
Contributor to DCC #49: The Palace in the Wastes.
Contributor to the upcoming The Adventure Continues.
Author of an upcoming DCC.
Eryx
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Eryx »

Jumping in here a little late, but why doesn't he ask his fellow players/characters?
---

Staunch anti-4E. Nuff said.

Return to “d20/D&D Conversation”