Running Temple of Elemental Evil (1985) for DCC

Talk about rules, campaigns, worlds, products, other companies, D&D in general, and anything else d20 or D&D related.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

Max_The_Judge
Deft-Handed Cutpurse
FLGS: Game Kastle

Running Temple of Elemental Evil (1985) for DCC

Post by Max_The_Judge »

Right now I'm running my Sunday group through the classic adventure The Temple of Elemental Evil (1985). Has anyone ever tried this with DCC? Any issues I should watch out for? I've replaced the village of Homlet with Hirot from Doom of the Savage Kings since my players are already using that village as a home base. I have yet to incorporate Nulb but my players are aware of its existence. I've already removed most of the magical treasure and a fair bit of the coin. These old school adventures toss out magic and treasure like it's candy. Any other suggestions?
Max_The_Judge
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Re: Running Temple of Elemental Evil (1985) for DCC

Post by Max_The_Judge »

My players skipped the motahouse (for now) and and have decided to investigate the Temple Proper. Deterred by the golden chained doors they approached the guard tower and were attacked by the mercenary bandits living inside. Dodging arrows and making clever use of magic missile they were able to dispatch the archers, reach the door, and batter it down. After defeating the bandits and pursuing their escaping captain they discovered the secret entrance to level 3 of the Temple dungeon. Much fun was had with the illusionary basilisk.
Max_The_Judge
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Max_The_Judge »

The party has made its way into the temple proper via a secret hatch in the guard tower and into level 3. The PCs were not quite up to the challenge at level 1 & 2. They made it past the illusionary Basilisk but barely made it out alive against Falrinth & Smigmal Redhand. They were ultimately victorious but just barely.
Max_The_Judge
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Max_The_Judge »

Licking their wounds the party has retreated back to Hirot for some much needed rest. They returned to the Temple and found their way into the temple proper. Finding nothing of interest they descended to dungeon level 1. More cautious this time, they were able to surprise a group of ghouls. The advantage of surprise did not last long and soon 2 of the party were paralyzed and another was infected with the ghoul disease. But ultimately they prevailed. Badly beaten and diseased, the party returned to Hirot to find a high level cleric...

Three players leveled up so now the party consists of two level 3's and three level 2's.

Return to “d20/D&D Conversation”