Feudal Japan Map Objects Project

Share links and comments about your favorite A-R-T and the cool folks who make it. Help other A-R-T fans find cool new A-R-T-ists out there on the net!

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

gamerprinter
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Re: Feudal Japan Map Objects Project

Post by gamerprinter »

Here's my latest map, though not Japanese in style, rather an illustrative map of a cross-section elevation of a sunken pirate ship submerged in the mud and silt at the bottom of an inlet. There is a cut away view of the ship's interior...

Enjoy!

Link to larger file: Brigatine's Rest

gamerprinter
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by gamerprinter »

Updated map of the Archipelago and Empire of Kaidan - for use in the upcoming Gamemasters Guide to Kaidan, in whole for the gazetteer, as well as broken down into provinces with added labels for named forests, lakes, rivers, mountains, additional communities and sites of interest. This has taken me 20 hours to hand-draw and finish in Xara Xtreme Pro, surely the longest I've ever worked on a map. It will be released in Oct/Nov 2013.

Enjoy!

GP

gamerprinter
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by gamerprinter »

I'm starting to work on the specific provincial maps for each main island - for the time being I am working on the provinces of Genshu, the northern island of Kaidan. And for the first province, Atosa, located on the southwest region of Genshu. All the added communities, mountain names, a site of interest and river names came from the gazetteer currently being worked on by Jonathan McAnulty. I'll be doing the same treatment to all the provinces eventually.

Atosa is ruled by Lord Kurashima no Takeshiko, both the last appointed daimyo by the Shogun of Kaidan, and the only one without a noble birthright (in reality he is a necromancer, having achieved a vampiric state from foreign shores.)

Kyobe is the largest city and provincial capital, a port city built in the mouth of the Jakubi river - it is called the Smuggler's City, as many of the surrounding isles in the Kaidan sea serve as pirate (wako) bases of operation, and rely on Kyobe for support.

Mount Hinomoto is currently the most active volcano in the Isles of Kaidan, though several active volcanoes sit on Genshu.

The fortress ruins of Kabutshuchi, sits atop Mount Onikirui, once the stronghold of a mighty oni-king that sought to rule Genshu. Though he was eventually defeated, the castle is now haunted and the mountain beneath honeycombed with dungeons and catacombs from the dark era, when the oni-king ruled here.

gamerprinter
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by gamerprinter »

Released yesterday on both the Paizo Store and DrivethruRPG/RPGNow by Rite Publishing:

Haiku of Horror: Autumn Moon Bath House
- the latest Kaidan release

Scented waters stir,
unbound strands aching in search
for a lover’s touch

The Haiku of Horror series depicts iconic mapped locations for use in Kaidan or other Asian based settings with labeled maps with complete descriptions and full-scale maps ready to print and use, plus image files for use with virtual tabletops. The location includes a complete, detailed, complex encounter featuring new monsters, haunts, and all necessary mechanics to run it. The mapped site is designed for ‘plug-in-play’ use ready to insert into any existing module or Asian campaign.

Autumn Moon Bath House serves as the oriental version of the typical fantasy tavern where adventures begin and end. However, rumors persist of a spectral woman with long black hair, who is seeking vengeance against the living and redemption for her soul.

Author and Cartographer Michael K. Tumey
Cover Artist: Mark Hyzer
Pages: 19

This is the first publication with me as author/designer, although I've been the primary developer of Kaidan all along.

I call it Haiku of Horror, for 3 reasons:

1. Haiku is a Japanese word and concept recognized by most westerners.
2. A haiku elucidating the mystery of the site is included.
3. Because a haiku is a very concise poetry format, this is intended to be a very precise product: as a mapped location with a single encounter and included mechanics. It's just a slice of Kaidan, so using Haiku in the title, seemed fitting.

I see this product as serving those Game Masters who purchase a module then tear it apart to pull encounters, monsters, maps out for their own custom games. This product is just those parts, now easily insertable into any module, campaign or home game.

Also just looking at the maps themselves, while the rest of the product is designed for use in Pathfinder, the maps could be used in any system and would fit well in: L5R, Bushido, Sengoku, Kara-Tur, Rokushima Taiyoo, any feudal Japan based game.
gamerprinter
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by gamerprinter »

Apparently the Haiku of Horror product has been selling really well. And this is intended to be a series of iconic Japanese mapped locations with included cool encounter.

So what iconic Japanese locale should I do next?

Note: I do plan on doing a Japanese castle as the fourth or fifth release and it should be a popular one (however, I plan to do it as 2 separate releases - one for gates, walls, bailleys, and fortifications, and one for shinden place of noble court, offices and residences).

I've got ideas for: kabuki theater, geisha house, mountain monastery, temple complex and cemetery, rural shrine and garden, farmhouse and grounds, 3 typical shops in town, 2 typical shops of the red light district and brothel, bakuto gambling parlor, and several more.

What should I do next, or the next three locales?

Suggestions?
gamerprinter
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by gamerprinter »

Haiku of Horror: Autumn Moon Bath House has gotten 2 reviews over the last few days.

10/10 by Roleplayer's Chronicle
4.5/5 by Endzeitgeist

Looks I need to get the next one started!

Edit: in a couple days, Cape Rust, who wrote that first review from Roleplayer's Chronicle, will be working with me in creating a "Word in Edgewise" Email interview of me, Kaidan and the Haiku of Horror series - I'll post a link when that becomes available!!

GP
gamerprinter
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by gamerprinter »

Roleplayer's Chronicle, reviewer/interviewer, John Rust did an online text interview with me, discussing my background, my development of the Kaidan setting of Japanese horror through Rite Publishing and more! Check it out!

I've been told this is also posted on Zite.com online news in the RPG section (though I haven't found it).

Word in Edgewise: interview with Michael Tumey of Rite Publishing

Mark Knight of Pathfinder Chronicles Blog gives his assessment of Rite Publishing and the Kaidan setting of Japanese horror!
gamerprinter
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by gamerprinter »

I'm the new Cartography columnist for G*M*S Magazine - Paco Garcia Jaen's popular RPG blog/zine, with my first article posted helping want-to-be map-makers in choosing the best software them. Check it out, comment, share.

The Cartographer's Table - Which Mapping Software is Best for You?
gamerprinter
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by gamerprinter »

I just ran a 30 day Kickstarter fund to create a series of Map Tutorials Guides using any graphics software with overwhelming results. Thank you, contributors for doing such awesome job of pledging.

Final results:
Pledged: $23,289, Backers: 456, Funded: 621%

Since the original goal was $3750 for the first guide (of 5), the final was almost $20,000 over that - amazing!

Eventually these will be released to the public: (books) 25 Quick & Dirty Map Tutorials Guide, 25 Advanced Quick & Dirty Map Tutorials Guide, Quick & Dirty Hand-Drawn Mapping Guide, Using 3D Elements in Mapping Guide, Maps and Legends: a Guide to Fantasy Cartography by Josephe Vandel; (map object set) a Basic set of 100 objects, an Advanced set of 250 objects (both photo-realistic object sets), and an Old West Hand-Drawn Map Object set; Endless Terrain Battlemap digital tile sets: 8 different wilderness or urban themes, in sets of 8 uniquely designed geomorphic tiles. These are all the releases from this Kickstarter.

Again, thank you!

Michael

Return to “All things A-R-T related”