None the Wiser's take on the Volcano Caves...

Share links and comments about your favorite A-R-T and the cool folks who make it. Help other A-R-T fans find cool new A-R-T-ists out there on the net!

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

None the Wiser
Wild-Eyed Zealot

None the Wiser's take on the Volcano Caves...

Post by None the Wiser »

I plan to start running this adventure next weekend, so I thought I'd share what progress I've made converting the maps to 3D via SketchUp.

One of SketchUp's shortcomings is that it doesn't really do round/organic shapes very well, so the point of this exercise isn't to generate riveting POV shots, but rather to explore the relationships between levels and how they intersect. So the first pic I have for you is a top-down general overview:

And here is the breakdown of each level with pointers for the Players' Handouts:

Here is how the level should overlap the level beneath:

The spiral stair leads down to the circular shape near the begining of Area 2-1:

And last (but not least) Level 3:

Last edited by None the Wiser on Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
"When in doubt, play a Cleric. They decide who lives and who dies." -None the Wiser
None the Wiser
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by None the Wiser »

I have a couple of closeups of Level 3 I plan to post later this week, but I have a couple of tweaks I'd like to make to the model first.

In the meantime, here are some paper counters I generated just for this campaign:

I modified a Chuul pic from WotC's Monster Manual to make some Klaklin:

Klaklin

Klaklin Soldier

Klaklin Veteran/Leader

I took the liberty of modifying some Fiery Dragon counters to fit the camaign setting (BTW: I UNRESERVEDLY recommend Fiery Dragon's Counter Collection Digital/GOLD! As a neophyte DM, it has proven to be an invaluable digital resource for monster pics: http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php? ... 12265&it=1 ):

Akyanzi

Aquarran

Ice Golem

And finally some plain old colored-up player handouts:

Ziz Ka-Seer

Immolius
Last edited by None the Wiser on Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
"When in doubt, play a Cleric. They decide who lives and who dies." -None the Wiser
Cardinal
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Cardinal »

Wow! :shock: Thanks - now I'm *certain* that this will be the next DCC in my campaign :twisted:
Cardinal
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Cardinal »

...BTW: I was planning to send my players here once they've finished DCC#19 - and one of your "treaments" of the Vault would be most welcome ;)
None the Wiser
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by None the Wiser »

Cardinal wrote:...BTW: I was planning to send my players here once they've finished DCC#19 - and one of your "treaments" of the Vault would be most welcome ;)
Alas, that is not one of the DCCs I have in my ever-expanding PDF library. The next PDFs I need to purchase for my own game are DCC #12 and DCC #12.5 (3.5). I can't really justify the expense of mapping out a DCC I don't plan to run myself someday, although I am willing to map DCCs which are purchased for me (like DCC #26 -Scaly God, for instance).

The way I've worked this in past is to have people post e-cash in my Paypal account in order to purchase the DCC directly from RPGnow, but lately Paypal has been charging me a processing fee whenever someone "sends" money to my account, so if you're really interested in helping me out that way, it might be prudent to add a couple of dollars on top of what the DCC actaully costs. :roll: Feel free to PM me for further details. :wink:

I snapped up the Saga of the the Dragon Cult boxed set when I found it at my local comics shop, but now I'm worried that I'll have to convert all the monsters to 4.0 core rules by the time I'm actually ready to run those adventures. At the very least, I won't have to make up my own maps from scratch and I'll have a good idea of what monsters to place where, but I suspect there will be some additional prep time in retooling the adventures. :cry:
SavageRobby
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by SavageRobby »

Nice work as always, NtW. :)
Luke Johnson
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Luke Johnson »

Holy crap. This is awesome.
Wicked Fantasy Factory editor-in-chief
DCC #19: The Volcano Caves; DCC #42: Secret of the Stonearm; and DCC 2006 Tournament Module: Palace in the Wastes designer
Etherscope developer
http://www.lukejohnson.com
None the Wiser
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by None the Wiser »

Luke Johnson wrote:Holy crap. This is awesome.
Thanks, Mr. Johnson! :oops: If you approve, it means I must be doing something right. :wink:
---------------------------------------------------------------
Here are those close-ups of Level 3 I mentioned earlier:

The chasm in Area 3-15 is so deep that you'd probably have to walk up to the edge of one of the ledges and look down in order to see the web spread out over the lava. (In other words, Players' Handout I probably looks way cooler that the view would actually look in "real life." I say: stick with the view in handout - your players will be blissfully ignorant! 8) ).

And finally, a 3D perspective overview for your viewing pleasure:

Return to “All things A-R-T related”