None the Wiser's Scaly God / Whitefang Stronghold

Share links and comments about your favorite A-R-T and the cool folks who make it. Help other A-R-T fans find cool new A-R-T-ists out there on the net!

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

None the Wiser
Wild-Eyed Zealot

None the Wiser's Scaly God / Whitefang Stronghold

Post by None the Wiser »

Sorry I've been away for a while. I've been busy working on personal portfolio pieces like this:

http://misterhook.net/trojanpress/PR302.html

and this:

http://misterhook.net/trojanpress/PR304.html

But my gaming group just finished up The Sunken Ziggurat last weekend, so I finally found the time to work on some of my other back-burner modeling pojects.

First of all, a big SHOUT OUT should go to Rick Maffei for supplying yours truly with a PDF version of DCC #26 - The Scaly God. What follows are my preliminary salvos over the Whitefang Stronghold. I plan to post some POV shots and maybe even some beautified wide-screen shots (and eventually map out the trog caves), but for now, my initial attempts at modeling Castle Whitefang will have to suffice:

As you can see, when built to scale, the Whitefang Stronghold takes on a more portly appearance, but all of the major massing elements from the original diagram are still on display.

So here is the cut-away view of Level 1. The horses had to be shrunk down to "pony" size along with the wagon, even though I widened the gates on both ends of the Gatehouse. Otherwise the "covered wagon" model I downloaded off of 3D Warehouse would have had a tight squeeze through the gates. Also, conforming the base of the spiral stair case to the size of the map made for some tough modeling decisions later on.

From here you should be able to tell which room is the Chapel and which is the Great Hall. Players' Handout B showed circular stained glass windows in the chapel, which I thought were worth including in the model even though they aren't indicated on the map.

Speaking of which, let's talk about stairwells for a minute. When modeling in 3D, you can't just start a stairwell at the base and NOT follow through all the way to the top of the staircase. Modeling the space in 3D forced me to take into consideration all sorts of things that I would never worry my pretty little head about if I were drawing the map out in Game Master mode.

For instance, you'll notice that the spiral staircase now carves out a sizable chunk of the Great Hall (area 2-2). I'm sorry, but it couldn't be helped. Also, the map indicates two stone pillars located beneath the center of the Captain's Office (area 3-3). In real life, there's no way you'd be able to cantilever stone out that far, especially if the pillars are supposed to support weight of areas 3-3, 4-2 and 5-1 on its massive shoulders. Hence there are four pillars instead of two.

Now you can see the edge of the Captain’s Office resting comfortably on the additional pillars. The stairways in the Training Room (area 3-1) gave me a serious headache as it seemed as though the stairs were drawn right in front of the arrow slits on the north wall. I could never wrap my head around how the soldiers were supposed to use the arrow slits for target practice if you placed a flight of stairs right in front of them, so I ended up placing the stairway in the south corner of the room and placed wooden gangplanks over top of the arrow slits.

Since I used wood for the gangplanks, I figured it would be cheaper and more structurally sound to make the entire floor of the Barracks out of wood, though it would be prudent to support said flooring with a few support beams underneath. On the plus side, all you’d need to alert your entire crew would be to thump the butt of your spear on the wooden floor and you’d be sure to reach the ears of all your bunk mates.

I put the book shelves for the Library against the back of the stairs, so all you can see from this angle is a desk and chair. Again, I pushed the stairways to the sides of the room to prevent them from interfering with the windows and arrow slits on opposite sides.

I made the roof of the west tower thirty feet tall. I also cantilevered the base of the roof out three feet. Practically, this is where you would place an “upstairs latrine” on the north side of the tower so that the refuse would fall outside the castle walls.

The floor of the Captain's Quarters starts at the base of the roof line above the Barracks.

I made the roof of the east tower 40 ft. tall since I figured the builders would try their best to make the castle viewable from a distance.

Well, that's it for now. I REALLY need to get started on The Volcano Caves, so I don't know when I'll finish modeling this DCC, but I will eventually. Honest! 8)
Rick Maffei
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Rick Maffei »

Wonderful, wonderful work, None. I'm gratified to see my vision truly come to life, thanks to your skill. A great many elements seem stolen right out of my head, the way I always pictured them (and I appreciate the great, sensible structural additions/notes as well).

As always, your work is stunning. :D
DCC #26 The Scaly God
DCC #60 Thrones of Punjar
Monstercology: Orcs
Age of Cthulhu 2: Madness in London Town
Co-author Age of Cthulhu 5: The Long Reach of Evil
Co-author 2006, 2007, 2008 Tourney DCCs

Visit Rick's RPG Blog Jabberwock's Rest
Jengenritz
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer

Post by Jengenritz »

My God that look beautiful. Wish I would have had it when I ran my crew through this module.
Co-Author: The Almanac of the Endless Traders, DCC #13, DCC #29, DCC #49, DCC #51, DCC #52, DCC #63

Author: DCC #55: Isle of the Sea Drake, DCC #61: Citadel of the Corruptor, more to come....
None the Wiser
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by None the Wiser »

RE: Rick, Jengenritz
Thanks, guys! Glad you like it! The stronghold alone was a pretty decent modeling challenge. 8) The trog caves may take a while yet.

This is what I meant by a "beautified" wide angle shot, just a quick and dirty Photoshop collage:

I hope to have some POV renders ready to post by next weekend. Cheers!
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

:D :D :D :D :D

:twisted:
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
Jengenritz
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer

Post by Jengenritz »

WALLPAPER'ED!
Co-Author: The Almanac of the Endless Traders, DCC #13, DCC #29, DCC #49, DCC #51, DCC #52, DCC #63

Author: DCC #55: Isle of the Sea Drake, DCC #61: Citadel of the Corruptor, more to come....
Rick Maffei
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Rick Maffei »

:shock:

:D
Jengenritz wrote:WALLPAPER'ED!
Ditto!
DCC #26 The Scaly God

SavageRobby
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by SavageRobby »

Glad to see you back. Your work (as usual) looks great!
None the Wiser
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by None the Wiser »

Thanks, SR!

Here are those POV pics I mentioned earlier:

This is the view of the Gatehouse as you enter from the west side. The Toll Room is pictured on the left.

SketchUp allows you to fiddle with the "Field of View" even though it technically doesn't have virtual camera paths. So if I set the FoV to a ridiculous wide angle setting, the view gets distorted around the edges but encompasses more of the model.

This would be the sight that greets you after you climb the first flight of the spiral staircase which contiues upward on the far left, the door to the Great Hall is situated in the middle, and a slightly distorted arrowslit is pictured on the far right.

So here we enter the Great Hall, attempting to mimic the view from Players' Handout A.

By including the bulge of the spiral stair on the west wall of the room, it became necessary to move the fireplace over a bit, and the large sheild on the wall was moved to the opposite side of the room.

This is the view from one of the windows in the Captain's Office (area 3-3) looking down into the Great Hall.

This view of the Chapel was intended to show how the door related to the angle of the far wall (as opposed to mimicing Players' Handout B).

Here is another beauty shot of Whitefang Stronghold (before the dark times, before the Empire... :P ). This is how the view from the roof parapet may have looked while the castle was still in pristine contidion. The reference photo in the background is actually from a river in China somwhere where a road/bridge was conveniently placed halfway up the mountain side, used here to depict the winding path along the Dragonspire mountain range of Aereth. 8)
"When in doubt, play a Cleric. They decide who lives and who dies." -None the Wiser
Rick Maffei
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Rick Maffei »

More great material None, especially the great hall shots. I love the last beauty shot too. Awesome.
These would be very helpful the next time I run Scaly God for a new batch of victims. :)
DCC #26 The Scaly God

Return to “All things A-R-T related”