None the Wiser's 3-D Wildsgate Excursion...

Share links and comments about your favorite A-R-T and the cool folks who make it. Help other A-R-T fans find cool new A-R-T-ists out there on the net!

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

Argamae
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Argamae »

Mr Goodman - just one question: why don't you simply hire this awesome None the Wiser guy and have him create the 3D maps for ALL DCCs past and future???? :?: :D :wink:
The lucky guy who gets to translate DCCs into German!
Done so far:
DCC#1, DCC #11, DCC #28, DCC #17, DCC #17.5 :)
Warduke
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Warduke »

not being one to speak for the people at goodman games, but .....................

wiser's work is awesome, and we all love it, but it doesn't quite fit the old school mode, right? maybe for the newer fantasy factory stuff, but unless we find a 3d rendering in one of gygax's forgotten manuscripts, my money says we won't be seeing them in goodman's stuff anytime soon.

just my 2 cents.
Member of Fathead's Favorite Posters Team
Nahat Anoj
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Nahat Anoj »

Warduke wrote:not being one to speak for the people at goodman games, but .....................

wiser's work is awesome, and we all love it, but it doesn't quite fit the old school mode, right? maybe for the newer fantasy factory stuff, but unless we find a 3d rendering in one of gygax's forgotten manuscripts, my money says we won't be seeing them in goodman's stuff anytime soon.

just my 2 cents.
While I agree with you, I think that if it's old school in spirit then it would be fine. For example, there are some things that DCCs do that the old school modules never (or rarely) did - things like having handouts, interesting faux-parchment maps like the one for Castle Whiterock, a music CD for DCC 34, etc. So I think there's some wiggle room in the DCC business model (of course, Goodman Games is the final determiner of that).

A map like NtW's final pic of the huts atop the Goblin Spires - the one that looks like it was a rough sketch - has that old school flair to me. While things like that may be hard to do from a technical perspective (it would be for me, because I haven't done it before!), they are done with the same kind of openness, honesty, and raw love that I think typifies many of the old school modules. As long as those qualities are there, I think such artwork would satisfy most of the critics. And certainly if in the old days they *could* have done 3D renderings, they certainly would have!
Ogrepuppy
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ogrepuppy »

Jonathan Moyer wrote:
Warduke wrote:not being one to speak for the people at goodman games, but .....................

just my 2 cents.
While I agree with you, I think that if it's old school in spirit then it would be fine. For example, there are some things that DCCs do that the old school modules never (or rarely) did - things like having handouts, interesting faux-parchment maps like the one for Castle Whiterock, a music CD for DCC 34, etc. So I think there's some wiggle room in the DCC business model (of course, Goodman Games is the final determiner of that).

A map like NtW's final pic of the huts atop the Goblin Spires - the one that looks like it was a rough sketch - has that old school flair to me. While things like that may be hard to do from a technical perspective (it would be for me, because I haven't done it before!), they are done with the same kind of openness, honesty, and raw love that I think typifies many of the old school modules. As long as those qualities are there, I think such artwork would satisfy most of the critics. And certainly if in the old days they *could* have done 3D renderings, they certainly would have!
Can you get an amen, brothuh? Yes you can!

HUZZAH!
Argamae
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Argamae »

Well, don't forget modules like I6 "Ravenloft" or some of the former Dragonlance stuff which had a 3D-esque dungeon map. And I would consider that old-school. So, having such maps in DCC modules wouldn't be a break from old-schoolness for me. :)
The lucky guy who gets to translate DCCs into German!
Done so far:
DCC#1, DCC #11, DCC #28, DCC #17, DCC #17.5 :)

Return to “All things A-R-T related”