Second Run of DCC #12.5 1E Version

General talk about Goodman Games. If it doesn't go anywhere else, post it here. Includes news, announcements, questions, gossip, and so on.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

JediOre
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by JediOre »

Treebore is dead on. Mr. Goodman has always impressed me. I've give the postal service until the end of next week and make it official that your mail may have fallen into the PO Void.
gideon_thorne
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by gideon_thorne »

Treebore wrote:He has since posted that he had the last of them in the mail last Thursday.

Then again Media Mail can take weeks. So they very well may still be on their way. I would guess the more rural you live the longer it will take, etc...

When your convinced your not getting just be sure to e-mail Joe. He will take care of the problem as best he can.
My order arrived about a week after my last, above, post.
Peter B

Castles & Crusades and Lejendary Adventure Artist
Plaag
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Plaag »

Got mine today :D

ShaneG.
I reject your reality and substitute my own
tacojohn4547
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by tacojohn4547 »

JediOre wrote:
I got the 1st edition incarnation yesterday. I've just started to preview it.

Man do I miss AD&D! So elegent, so simple, yet so complex.

Jedi - any chance you might be able to make GorillaCon 4 in March? It is held in Pittsburg, KS by the local gaming group there. I'm planning on going back again this year, and will be running nothing but 1E AD&D at my table. And of course you're always welcome at my table.

Also, I think the Trolls have a con coming up in NE Oklahoma (Miami??). Might be able to get in some 1E in between all those trolls playing C&C. Heh!

tacojohn4547
WereSteve
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by WereSteve »

tacojohn4547 wrote:GorillaCon 4 in March? It is held in Pittsburg, KS by the local gaming group there. I'm planning on going back again this year, and will be running nothing but 1E AD&D at my table.
Now is that regular 1e or OSRIC?

Tho' the scary part is a con being held in the land of Purple Gorillas and Big Brutus. :D
tacojohn4547
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by tacojohn4547 »

Weresteve wrote:
Now is that regular 1e or OSRIC?
Heh! You say tomato, I say tamato. You say potato, I say patatta. You say 1E, I say OSRIC!

tj
gideon_thorne
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by gideon_thorne »

tacojohn4547 wrote:
Also, I think the Trolls have a con coming up in NE Oklahoma (Miami??). Might be able to get in some 1E in between all those trolls playing C&C. Heh!

tacojohn4547
Actullally the Troll Con V is in Muskogee OK at the Castle where they normally hold ren faires at:

http://www.lggc.net/tcindex.html 8)
Peter B

JediOre
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by JediOre »

tacojohn4547,

I have no idea about the con in March. I'd love to. It's within driving distance so I'll start looking at my calander. That would be cool to visit and see what a Con is all about!

This 1st edition version is excellent. The extra rooms that got cut for space (I'm guessing) are quite good. I can see them getting cut since they don't affect the rest of the module. These extra rooms are in a word, "brutal," if the party is careless.

Good job in the conversion tacojohn4547! I have a couple of questions, but I think there is a thread under DCCs that they would be more appropriate. If I can't find it I'll post the questions back here.

By the way, what are the dates of GorillaCon 4 and is there a web site for it?
tacojohn4547
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by tacojohn4547 »

JediOre

GorillaCon is scheduled for March 17-19. Last year it was held at the Holiday Inn Express in Pittsburg. If you could make it, that would be great. We could get acquainted, visit, raise a frosty mug together...

The Con website is not up yet, but the hosting gaming group has a site:
http://sekgg.org/

As small town con's go, it was alright. They had some pretty good dealer/vendor booths. Casey Christofferson ran a marathon D&D game for a big table of guys, and Tom Wham was running board games throughout the whole con. And the charity auction was full of really great stuff that went cheap. I think Grodog is considering going too.

[dons Captian Obvious uniform on]
But, there's no comparison whatsoever of GorillaCon and Gen Con. Gen Con is...Gen Con. Words barely suffice to describe Gen Con.

[removes Captain Obvious uniform]

I'm glad you're enjoying the 1E Iron Crypt. Despite all of the public outcry over the print run size, this is a slick module. Yeah, the added rooms accounted for a couple of fatalities at Gen Con. The 100 ft drop isn't so bad, but the sudden stop is killer.

Thanks for the kind words. I had hoped the conversion would be well received by fans of 1st Edition.

tacojohn4547
Warduke
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Warduke »

Not to get ugly, but how much is this sucker going for these days?
Member of Fathead's Favorite Posters Team
Plaag
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Plaag »

Unknown if it was a 1st print (though was clasified as such) sold on Ebay for around $100
A 2nd print of this went for $50.

With the known differences now classified these should go up in price
tacojohn4547 wrote:The majority of the differences between the two printings, which will become apparent if you read the module and refer back to the dungeon's map, occur on the 2-page spread map that is laid out on the inside of the removable cover.

When we were working through the 1E conversion, the author Harley Stroh and I went back to his original manuscript and added back in the five rooms that were edited out of (excluded from) the final 3.5 version. Those additional rooms begin with room 1-14 and continue through room 1-18. In the body of the module text, then, we renumbered the rooms beginning with room 1-14. So, room 1-14 in the 3.5 E version became 1-19 in the 1E version. That renumbering is consistent with both printings.

Where the differences between the two 1E versions crops up is that the cartographer missed renumbering the last four rooms on the 1E map. So, on the true first printing version, there are two each of the following rooms on the map: 1-17, 1-18 and 1-19. Plus, there is a room 1-18A when that room should have been room 1-23A to match the module text.

On the second printing version, the map renumbering has been corrected and matches the module text.

Beyond that, there are a few typos that were caught in the module text, but they were few and far between. I think Joseph was going to correct the typos in the second printing 1E version. I honestly haven't checked on these personally as they were very minor and didn't affect the playout of the adventure whatsoever.

I did check the credits page and the d20 license page, to see if Joseph had added a "second printing" anywhere. I did not find any such distinguishing verbiage.
1st for collecting, 2nd good for running the module.

ShaneG.
Treebore
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Treebore »

I'm so glad I am not a collector. Even if I was I would refuse to buy these, especially the "1st printing" since a handful of people bought up all the print run at GenCon. So I would refuse to buy these just on principle alone. The pdf, when it becomes available, will work just fine for my collection. If I didn't already have the second printing, which I will USE, just like I use all my other DCC's. From 0 on up.
Castles and Crusades is my game of choice!
JediOre
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by JediOre »

I'm with you Treebore. I buy modules to use, not "collect."

However, it must put a smile on an author's face to see their work move into a collectors status. Hey Harley, am I correct?
Plaag
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Plaag »

I bought 16 of the 1st prints at GenCon for myself and 10 other people from the Acaeum forum.

ShaneG.
Treebore
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Treebore »

I know. I read the posts over there.
Warduke
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Warduke »

Collector/non-collector issues aside, I kow-tow in veneration to the Acaeum folks. You people know your biz.
Member of Fathead's Favorite Posters Team
superfan
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by superfan »

Wow!!!!

Just saw a second run version of the module sell for 111 bucks on Ebay. Un real!!!
"They Might Be Dwarves" - World Champions Xcrawl 2007. So BAD...but yet so good.
gideon_thorne
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by gideon_thorne »

superfan wrote:Wow!!!!

Just saw a second run version of the module sell for 111 bucks on Ebay. Un real!!!
There's one up there for a 'buy it now' price of $145. Honestly, if someone wants mine that badly I'll be happy to sell it for that price. ^_~`

Now here's a thought. Goodman can do a special gold leaf embossed title version for sale on the site. A limited collectors run of 200 for $75 a pop. :lol:
Peter B

guslandt
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by guslandt »

Well my copies are no longer MIA. Too bad there are back at Goodman Games and not here. :evil:
Somehow they got returned as undeliverable after 3 attempts, even though the postal delivery person never left a single note saying he tried to deliver it.
See, I moved into my first house back in October, but I still had my apartment until last friday, and I would go back and check a few times a week for mail and/or package slips.
Anyway, Mr Goodman should have my package on its way to my new address this week! :D
Treebore
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Treebore »

guslandt wrote:Well my copies are no longer MIA. Too bad there are back at Goodman Games and not here. :evil:
Somehow they got returned as undeliverable after 3 attempts, even though the postal delivery person never left a single note saying he tried to deliver it.
See, I moved into my first house back in October, but I still had my apartment until last friday, and I would go back and check a few times a week for mail and/or package slips.
Anyway, Mr Goodman should have my package on its way to my new address this week! :D

I don't expect any employee, especially federal employees, to do their job right until they have a track record with me proving they are one of the all too few who work at their job site.
Frukathka
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Frukathka »

Is this still in print?
superfan
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by superfan »

I'm sorry but I can't resist...

Apologies...

"What the FRUCK?"

I'm sorry Fruck, but this is WAY out of print. Highly valuable and coveted.

Ebay is your friend if you'd like one.

Ben
"They Might Be Dwarves" - World Champions Xcrawl 2007. So BAD...but yet so good.
mbassoc2003
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by mbassoc2003 »

They are still available if you shop around online. I just bought 25 copies from Noble Knight Games at $11 a pop (1E 2nd Printing). I've not checked out the other online retailers yet but I wouldn't be surprised if the second printing is sitting in other shops by the box load also. I bet Titan Games has a box or two. And there's the PDF available on RPGNow.
The big non-TSR D&D database is at Afterglow2.com
mbassoc2003
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by mbassoc2003 »

With the obvious storming success of the DCC #12.5 1E Conversion, can we hope to see any more 'goldenrod' 1E conversions in the future? There is a lot of money held by 1E enthusiasts who don't play 3E.
The big non-TSR D&D database is at Afterglow2.com
superfan
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by superfan »

While I would love to see these as well, I THINK there may some concern about TOO close a releationship between Goodman Games and 1st Edition. Would they get an unfair label in the RPG world for this? Would this take away from their 3rd edition cred?

I don't think so. What do you think?? Let Joe know!

Ben "superfan" Waxman

Return to “Goodman Games General”