Goodman Games

Fan Forums
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:04 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:31 pm 
Offline
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Joined: Tue Aug 24, 2004 2:37 pm
Posts: 39
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Rick Maffei wrote:

I am curious is anyone here played through the shearing room trap/elevator - the trap where you had to jump or duck?


The trap was taller than our halfling who just walked underneath it. At one point he was considering riding the blades like a surf board!

-Andy Brogan


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 5:27 pm 
Offline
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Joined: Sat Jul 08, 2006 11:55 am
Posts: 36
Location: Canada's frozen north
jfrenia wrote:
We did; first of all we got to the mouth of the room and saw the 2 grooves extending down the hallway and the different types of walls that we didn't want to step in. We thought for sure a large blade was going to chop the room in half, so we left the room to explore elsewhere.

After some more exploring, we returned to the location and crawled below the groove all the way back to the room, making sure we stayed under that groove. Once we were in it, luckily the rogue hit the button in time and we stayed with the bottom to take us to the next level, but the room definitely had us on edge!


Cool! Your Rogue had to make two pretty good back to back rolls there or you would have all ended up "ducking into" a "little more chaotic situation"... I am happy you were on edge, but kinda sad you missed the trap!

_________________
Greg Oppedisano
Author: The Great City Campaign setting, PC Pearls, Sidetrek Adventure Weekly, GM Gems, DCC 48, DCC 49, DCC 43, DCC 32, DCC 29...
Contact info and bibliography in the WereCabbage patch: http://www.werecabbages.com/members.php?id=22


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 5:33 pm 
Offline
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2004 5:45 am
Posts: 16
Location: Cincinnati, OH
My favorite moment was in Round 3 in the room with the dagger and the orc shaman.

We got the drop on those guys and our repeating crossbow guy got to go 'Scarface' all over the orcs with a little "Say hello to my little friend" before wiping everything in the room with crossbow death.

Brought a tear to my eye...and makes me itch to watch Al Pacino again.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 5:59 pm 
Offline
Wild-Eyed Zealot
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2006 7:27 am
Posts: 96
Location: Homer, NY
gargoyle wrote:
I am happy you were on edge, but kinda sad you missed the trap!


We did not share with your saddness! :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 6:01 pm 
Offline
Hard-Bitten Adventurer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 11, 2006 2:07 pm
Posts: 110
scrotoz wrote:
My favorite moment was in Round 3 in the room with the dagger and the orc shaman.


None of the other teams detected that room on level 3, so they dont know what you are talking about :D


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 6:52 pm 
Offline
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2004 5:45 am
Posts: 16
Location: Cincinnati, OH
N'Haaz-aua wrote:
None of the other teams detected that room on level 3, so they dont know what you are talking about :D


Whoops, my bad. To set it up, circular room with a dagger that's very important to the conclusion of the dungeon suspended in a red globe of energy. Two orc shamans and 3 (blinking!!) orc warriors pray around the globe. One orc shaman reaches in the globe to grab the dagger and gets disintegrated.

Only entrance to the room is a door at the top of some stairs that wind around the room to the floor below. Perfect setup for repeating crossbow death!!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:44 pm 
Offline
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Joined: Sat Jul 08, 2006 11:55 am
Posts: 36
Location: Canada's frozen north
brogan_a wrote:
Rick Maffei wrote:

I am curious is anyone here played through the shearing room trap/elevator - the trap where you had to jump or duck?


The trap was taller than our halfling who just walked underneath it. At one point he was considering riding the blades like a surf board!

-Andy Brogan


That would have been an amusing assumption had the trap gone off! Man i hope that trap went off on someone!

One of the things i love about D&D - and the authors at Goodman Games understand this and write accordingly - is the best players have seen and done it almost all of it and so the odd "descriptive clue" triggers a cascade of imaginative deduction and reasoning almost as enjoyable as the reality of the pretend situation... think i may have lost my self somewhere in that point!

Anyway i love that more than one person thought the slot was a blade trap!

One of the things i love is reading a module after playing it - and for those of you in the tournament reading the tournament module must be an amazing experience after racing through it in competitive mode.

_________________
Greg Oppedisano
Author: The Great City Campaign setting, PC Pearls, Sidetrek Adventure Weekly, GM Gems, DCC 48, DCC 49, DCC 43, DCC 32, DCC 29...
Contact info and bibliography in the WereCabbage patch: http://www.werecabbages.com/members.php?id=22


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:55 pm 
Offline
Hard-Bitten Adventurer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 11, 2006 2:07 pm
Posts: 110
My group was still looking for a continuation of that trap on the 3rd level. They were eyeing the elevator lever suspiciously. Good times.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:08 am 
Offline
Ill-Fated Peasant

Joined: Wed Aug 16, 2006 3:36 pm
Posts: 8
gargoyle wrote:
One of the things i love about D&D - and the authors at Goodman Games understand this and write accordingly - is the best players have seen and done it almost all of it...

This was my first experience writing and judging for DCC. I ran four rounds of Level 1 and let me tell you, one of my favorite experiences was running a group with players who hadn't cracked open a D&D book since 1st edition. They were my highest scoring group, not because they understood every tactical nuance of v.3.5 D&D, but because they understood and keenly responded to the principles of classic dungeon crawl. Huzzah!

_________________
Contributor to DCC #49: The Palace in the Wastes.
Contributor to the upcoming The Adventure Continues.
Author of an upcoming DCC.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:14 am 
Offline
Cold-Blooded Diabolist
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2004 8:02 am
Posts: 538
Location: Cincinnati, OH
scrotoz wrote:
To set it up, circular room with a dagger that's very important to the conclusion of the dungeon suspended in a red globe of energy.


Is that the dagger that is supposed to free the axe? I was wondering where that was. I don't think you needed it to complete the dungeon though. You wanted the dagger to keep the heartfeasters from using it to free the axe.

Tell us more about what happened in that room! I'm intrigued. Give us details! What happened? :)

_________________
Dark Oracle of Gaming


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 4:42 pm 
Offline
Hard-Bitten Adventurer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2005 12:06 pm
Posts: 135
Location: Flying overhead
Okay, call it writer's ego, but I haven't yet heard a bit about the rooms I created to torture, er, entertain adventurers ... and I'm dying of curiosity (although I'm digging all the stories)...

Hints: Any contestants recall a room on the upper level where it was easy to "get the point" (quite literally) or one on the lower level that had some, well let's say, "gravity problems"?

_________________
DCC #26 The Scaly God
DCC #60 Thrones of Punjar
Monstercology: Orcs
Age of Cthulhu 2: Madness in London Town
Co-author Age of Cthulhu 5: The Long Reach of Evil
Co-author 2006, 2007, 2008 Tourney DCCs

Visit Rick's RPG Blog Jabberwock's Rest


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 4:55 pm 
Offline
Wild-Eyed Zealot
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2006 7:27 am
Posts: 96
Location: Homer, NY
hmmm... not sure if you mean the room that was full of spikes that had a small path working through it, on level 1? If that's the one, my group avoided the room and decided to head back later and ran out of time. That room looked a little dangerous, LOL.

Not sure gravity problems rings a bell, LOL

_________________
- Joseph Frenia


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 4:58 pm 
Offline
Cold-Blooded Diabolist
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2004 8:02 am
Posts: 538
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Rick Maffei wrote:
Hints: Any contestants recall a room on the upper level where it was easy to "get the point" (quite literally) or one on the lower level that had some, well let's say, "gravity problems"?


I'm not sure about the 1st level room, but I definitely recall the room with "gravity problems". We opened a door to find 4 orcs (I think they were orcs)...and one of them was on the ceiling! We fought them from the doorway and never entered the room. We did summon a bear, and had it enter the fray, while the barbarian whacked at anything that came near the door. Suddenly, the room shifted a different direction (in terms of gravity). This happened a couple times during the course of the combat. Yogi wasn't happy about it.

After defeating the orcs, we observed the room in order to get an idea on when it would "shift" so that we weren't caught in the room when it did.

Give another hint regarding the 1st level room.

_________________
Dark Oracle of Gaming


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 5:01 pm 
Offline
Cold-Blooded Diabolist
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2004 8:02 am
Posts: 538
Location: Cincinnati, OH
jfrenia wrote:
hmmm... not sure if you mean the room that was full of spikes that had a small path working through it, on level 1?


Is that the room you're talking about? How did you open the door at the other end? Did it open AT ALL?

We walked straight across the spike room (based on the riddle on the floor about walking the most orderly path).

Then, we proceeded to spend the next 30 minutes trying to open the other door...and finally gave up.

_________________
Dark Oracle of Gaming


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:45 pm 
Offline
Hard-Bitten Adventurer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2005 12:06 pm
Posts: 135
Location: Flying overhead
fathead wrote:
jfrenia wrote:
hmmm... not sure if you mean the room that was full of spikes that had a small path working through it, on level 1?


Is that the room you're talking about? How did you open the door at the other end? Did it open AT ALL?

We walked straight across the spike room (based on the riddle on the floor about walking the most orderly path).

Then, we proceeded to spend the next 30 minutes trying to open the other door...and finally gave up.


That was indeed the room ... and yes, the gate could be opened!
A "special" spike along the "real" (read: safe) pathway provided a clue to open the door; without that clue, opening the door would be difficult, but not impossible.

Well done figuring out the first clue ... I've just heard tell that other teams may not have been so wise/lucky!

_________________
DCC #26 The Scaly God
DCC #60 Thrones of Punjar
Monstercology: Orcs
Age of Cthulhu 2: Madness in London Town
Co-author Age of Cthulhu 5: The Long Reach of Evil
Co-author 2006, 2007, 2008 Tourney DCCs

Visit Rick's RPG Blog Jabberwock's Rest


Last edited by Rick Maffei on Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:47 pm 
Offline
Hard-Bitten Adventurer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2005 12:06 pm
Posts: 135
Location: Flying overhead
jfrenia wrote:
That room looked a little dangerous, LOL.


Just a little. Heh heh. :twisted:

_________________
DCC #26 The Scaly God
DCC #60 Thrones of Punjar
Monstercology: Orcs
Age of Cthulhu 2: Madness in London Town
Co-author Age of Cthulhu 5: The Long Reach of Evil
Co-author 2006, 2007, 2008 Tourney DCCs

Visit Rick's RPG Blog Jabberwock's Rest


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:51 pm 
Offline
Wild-Eyed Zealot
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2006 7:27 am
Posts: 96
Location: Homer, NY
I just love watching the PCs squirm when something I've written go into motion! That's the payoff for all the hard work! :-) I've been writting a module of my own as well and will enjoy seeing it in action!

_________________
- Joseph Frenia


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 8:22 pm 
Offline
Far-Sighted Wanderer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2005 12:35 pm
Posts: 34
Location: Michigan
I had one group that went to the door. They missed the spike (with the clues), but still managed to solve the disc puzzle in under 5 minutes. I was impressed as heck. Unfortunately I wasn't watching time and they were 5 minutes over when they accomplished it. Major bummer. Most people seemed to get hung up on the platinum and the silver. They couldn't decide which cam first. This group started to get hung up on the platinum/silver issue, but then realized the puzzle wouldn't align if it wasnt the correct way. It may have helped that I had my puzzle cut out and laminated so that it actally turned correctely.

Erica :wink:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:23 pm 
Offline
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2004 5:45 am
Posts: 16
Location: Cincinnati, OH
fathead wrote:
Tell us more about what happened in that room! I'm intrigued. Give us details! What happened? :)


As far as the orcs went, nothing but feathered death!!!

The fact that we watched an orc shaman get disintegrated while trying to reach in and get the dagger had us FREAKED OUT.

We went there again when time was running out and had our Fort save guy reach in and snag the dagger (after appropriately buffing him of course).

I'll admit it....we were scared. Goodman Games messed with our minds yet again!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 6:20 am 
Offline
Cold-Blooded Diabolist
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2004 8:02 am
Posts: 538
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Rick Maffei wrote:
That was indeed the room ... and yes, the gate could be opened!
A "special" spike along the "real" (read: safe) pathway provided a clue to open the door; without that clue, opening the door would be difficult, but not impossible.

Well done figuring out the first clue ... I've just heard tell that other teams may not have been so wise/lucky!


We actually had the other clue as well...and STILL couldn't get the door open. All we succeeded in doing was disarming the trap...

That riddle kept me from getting sleep...I'm not kidding. I woke up the next morning at 7:00 (we didn't have to be at an event that morning), thought about the riddle, and then couldn't get back to sleep.

_________________
Dark Oracle of Gaming


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 6:25 am 
Offline
Cold-Blooded Diabolist
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2004 8:02 am
Posts: 538
Location: Cincinnati, OH
scrotoz wrote:
fathead wrote:
Tell us more about what happened in that room! I'm intrigued. Give us details! What happened? :)


As far as the orcs went, nothing but feathered death!!!

The fact that we watched an orc shaman get disintegrated while trying to reach in and get the dagger had us FREAKED OUT.

We went there again when time was running out and had our Fort save guy reach in and snag the dagger (after appropriately buffing him of course).

I'll admit it....we were scared. Goodman Games messed with our minds yet again!


So, nothing happened when he grabbed the dagger? I guess the orc shaman disarmed a magical trap for you. :) Funny.

_________________
Dark Oracle of Gaming


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 6:27 am 
Offline
Wild-Eyed Zealot
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2006 7:27 am
Posts: 96
Location: Homer, NY
Or the shaman failed his save... or possibly it was an alignment that allowed you to grab it...

_________________
- Joseph Frenia


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 6:41 am 
Offline
Cold-Blooded Diabolist
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2004 8:02 am
Posts: 538
Location: Cincinnati, OH
jfrenia wrote:
or possibly it was an alignment that allowed you to grab it...


Ahh...that would make sense considering the room in round 2 (crypt of Desid Blightbane...however you spelled his name).

_________________
Dark Oracle of Gaming


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 6:45 am 
Offline
Wild-Eyed Zealot
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2006 7:27 am
Posts: 96
Location: Homer, NY
fathead wrote:
Ahh...that would make sense considering the room in round 2 (crypt of Desid Blightbane...however you spelled his name).


Yeah, Rella didn't like trying to open that door, LOL

_________________
- Joseph Frenia


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 6:55 am 
Offline
Cold-Blooded Diabolist
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2004 8:02 am
Posts: 538
Location: Cincinnati, OH
jfrenia wrote:
fathead wrote:
Ahh...that would make sense considering the room in round 2 (crypt of Desid Blightbane...however you spelled his name).


Yeah, Rella didn't like trying to open that door, LOL


Neither did Landron. :)

_________________
Dark Oracle of Gaming


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group