Tourney Details - SPOILERS THREAD!!! You've been warned!

General talk about Goodman Games. If it doesn't go anywhere else, post it here. Includes news, announcements, questions, gossip, and so on.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

brogan_a
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by brogan_a »

Rick Maffei wrote:
I am curious is anyone here played through the shearing room trap/elevator - the trap where you had to jump or duck?
The trap was taller than our halfling who just walked underneath it. At one point he was considering riding the blades like a surf board!

-Andy Brogan
gargoyle
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by gargoyle »

jfrenia wrote:We did; first of all we got to the mouth of the room and saw the 2 grooves extending down the hallway and the different types of walls that we didn't want to step in. We thought for sure a large blade was going to chop the room in half, so we left the room to explore elsewhere.

After some more exploring, we returned to the location and crawled below the groove all the way back to the room, making sure we stayed under that groove. Once we were in it, luckily the rogue hit the button in time and we stayed with the bottom to take us to the next level, but the room definitely had us on edge!
Cool! Your Rogue had to make two pretty good back to back rolls there or you would have all ended up "ducking into" a "little more chaotic situation"... I am happy you were on edge, but kinda sad you missed the trap!
Greg Oppedisano
Author: The Great City Campaign setting, PC Pearls, Sidetrek Adventure Weekly, GM Gems, DCC 48, DCC 49, DCC 43, DCC 32, DCC 29...
Contact info and bibliography in the WereCabbage patch: http://www.werecabbages.com/members.php?id=22
scrotoz
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by scrotoz »

My favorite moment was in Round 3 in the room with the dagger and the orc shaman.

We got the drop on those guys and our repeating crossbow guy got to go 'Scarface' all over the orcs with a little "Say hello to my little friend" before wiping everything in the room with crossbow death.

Brought a tear to my eye...and makes me itch to watch Al Pacino again.
jfrenia
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by jfrenia »

gargoyle wrote: I am happy you were on edge, but kinda sad you missed the trap!
We did not share with your saddness! :lol:
N'Haaz-aua
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by N'Haaz-aua »

scrotoz wrote:My favorite moment was in Round 3 in the room with the dagger and the orc shaman.
None of the other teams detected that room on level 3, so they dont know what you are talking about :D
scrotoz
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by scrotoz »

N'Haaz-aua wrote:None of the other teams detected that room on level 3, so they dont know what you are talking about :D
Whoops, my bad. To set it up, circular room with a dagger that's very important to the conclusion of the dungeon suspended in a red globe of energy. Two orc shamans and 3 (blinking!!) orc warriors pray around the globe. One orc shaman reaches in the globe to grab the dagger and gets disintegrated.

Only entrance to the room is a door at the top of some stairs that wind around the room to the floor below. Perfect setup for repeating crossbow death!!
gargoyle
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by gargoyle »

brogan_a wrote:
Rick Maffei wrote:
I am curious is anyone here played through the shearing room trap/elevator - the trap where you had to jump or duck?
The trap was taller than our halfling who just walked underneath it. At one point he was considering riding the blades like a surf board!

-Andy Brogan
That would have been an amusing assumption had the trap gone off! Man i hope that trap went off on someone!

One of the things i love about D&D - and the authors at Goodman Games understand this and write accordingly - is the best players have seen and done it almost all of it and so the odd "descriptive clue" triggers a cascade of imaginative deduction and reasoning almost as enjoyable as the reality of the pretend situation... think i may have lost my self somewhere in that point!

Anyway i love that more than one person thought the slot was a blade trap!

One of the things i love is reading a module after playing it - and for those of you in the tournament reading the tournament module must be an amazing experience after racing through it in competitive mode.
Greg Oppedisano
Author: The Great City Campaign setting, PC Pearls, Sidetrek Adventure Weekly, GM Gems, DCC 48, DCC 49, DCC 43, DCC 32, DCC 29...
Contact info and bibliography in the WereCabbage patch: http://www.werecabbages.com/members.php?id=22
N'Haaz-aua
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by N'Haaz-aua »

My group was still looking for a continuation of that trap on the 3rd level. They were eyeing the elevator lever suspiciously. Good times.
zirzird
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by zirzird »

gargoyle wrote:One of the things i love about D&D - and the authors at Goodman Games understand this and write accordingly - is the best players have seen and done it almost all of it...
This was my first experience writing and judging for DCC. I ran four rounds of Level 1 and let me tell you, one of my favorite experiences was running a group with players who hadn't cracked open a D&D book since 1st edition. They were my highest scoring group, not because they understood every tactical nuance of v.3.5 D&D, but because they understood and keenly responded to the principles of classic dungeon crawl. Huzzah!
Contributor to DCC #49: The Palace in the Wastes.
Contributor to the upcoming The Adventure Continues.
Author of an upcoming DCC.
fathead
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by fathead »

scrotoz wrote:To set it up, circular room with a dagger that's very important to the conclusion of the dungeon suspended in a red globe of energy.
Is that the dagger that is supposed to free the axe? I was wondering where that was. I don't think you needed it to complete the dungeon though. You wanted the dagger to keep the heartfeasters from using it to free the axe.

Tell us more about what happened in that room! I'm intrigued. Give us details! What happened? :)
Dark Oracle of Gaming
Rick Maffei
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Rick Maffei »

Okay, call it writer's ego, but I haven't yet heard a bit about the rooms I created to torture, er, entertain adventurers ... and I'm dying of curiosity (although I'm digging all the stories)...

Hints: Any contestants recall a room on the upper level where it was easy to "get the point" (quite literally) or one on the lower level that had some, well let's say, "gravity problems"?
DCC #26 The Scaly God
DCC #60 Thrones of Punjar
Monstercology: Orcs
Age of Cthulhu 2: Madness in London Town
Co-author Age of Cthulhu 5: The Long Reach of Evil
Co-author 2006, 2007, 2008 Tourney DCCs

Visit Rick's RPG Blog Jabberwock's Rest
jfrenia
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by jfrenia »

hmmm... not sure if you mean the room that was full of spikes that had a small path working through it, on level 1? If that's the one, my group avoided the room and decided to head back later and ran out of time. That room looked a little dangerous, LOL.

Not sure gravity problems rings a bell, LOL
- Joseph Frenia
fathead
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by fathead »

Rick Maffei wrote: Hints: Any contestants recall a room on the upper level where it was easy to "get the point" (quite literally) or one on the lower level that had some, well let's say, "gravity problems"?
I'm not sure about the 1st level room, but I definitely recall the room with "gravity problems". We opened a door to find 4 orcs (I think they were orcs)...and one of them was on the ceiling! We fought them from the doorway and never entered the room. We did summon a bear, and had it enter the fray, while the barbarian whacked at anything that came near the door. Suddenly, the room shifted a different direction (in terms of gravity). This happened a couple times during the course of the combat. Yogi wasn't happy about it.

After defeating the orcs, we observed the room in order to get an idea on when it would "shift" so that we weren't caught in the room when it did.

Give another hint regarding the 1st level room.
Dark Oracle of Gaming
fathead
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by fathead »

jfrenia wrote:hmmm... not sure if you mean the room that was full of spikes that had a small path working through it, on level 1?
Is that the room you're talking about? How did you open the door at the other end? Did it open AT ALL?

We walked straight across the spike room (based on the riddle on the floor about walking the most orderly path).

Then, we proceeded to spend the next 30 minutes trying to open the other door...and finally gave up.
Dark Oracle of Gaming
Rick Maffei
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Rick Maffei »

fathead wrote:
jfrenia wrote:hmmm... not sure if you mean the room that was full of spikes that had a small path working through it, on level 1?
Is that the room you're talking about? How did you open the door at the other end? Did it open AT ALL?

We walked straight across the spike room (based on the riddle on the floor about walking the most orderly path).

Then, we proceeded to spend the next 30 minutes trying to open the other door...and finally gave up.
That was indeed the room ... and yes, the gate could be opened!
A "special" spike along the "real" (read: safe) pathway provided a clue to open the door; without that clue, opening the door would be difficult, but not impossible.

Well done figuring out the first clue ... I've just heard tell that other teams may not have been so wise/lucky!
Last edited by Rick Maffei on Thu Aug 17, 2006 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DCC #26 The Scaly God

Rick Maffei
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Rick Maffei »

jfrenia wrote:That room looked a little dangerous, LOL.
Just a little. Heh heh. :twisted:
DCC #26 The Scaly God

jfrenia
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by jfrenia »

I just love watching the PCs squirm when something I've written go into motion! That's the payoff for all the hard work! :-) I've been writting a module of my own as well and will enjoy seeing it in action!
- Joseph Frenia
Mouse
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Mouse »

I had one group that went to the door. They missed the spike (with the clues), but still managed to solve the disc puzzle in under 5 minutes. I was impressed as heck. Unfortunately I wasn't watching time and they were 5 minutes over when they accomplished it. Major bummer. Most people seemed to get hung up on the platinum and the silver. They couldn't decide which cam first. This group started to get hung up on the platinum/silver issue, but then realized the puzzle wouldn't align if it wasnt the correct way. It may have helped that I had my puzzle cut out and laminated so that it actally turned correctely.

Erica :wink:
scrotoz
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by scrotoz »

fathead wrote:Tell us more about what happened in that room! I'm intrigued. Give us details! What happened? :)
As far as the orcs went, nothing but feathered death!!!

The fact that we watched an orc shaman get disintegrated while trying to reach in and get the dagger had us FREAKED OUT.

We went there again when time was running out and had our Fort save guy reach in and snag the dagger (after appropriately buffing him of course).

I'll admit it....we were scared. Goodman Games messed with our minds yet again!
fathead
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by fathead »

Rick Maffei wrote: That was indeed the room ... and yes, the gate could be opened!
A "special" spike along the "real" (read: safe) pathway provided a clue to open the door; without that clue, opening the door would be difficult, but not impossible.

Well done figuring out the first clue ... I've just heard tell that other teams may not have been so wise/lucky!
We actually had the other clue as well...and STILL couldn't get the door open. All we succeeded in doing was disarming the trap...

That riddle kept me from getting sleep...I'm not kidding. I woke up the next morning at 7:00 (we didn't have to be at an event that morning), thought about the riddle, and then couldn't get back to sleep.
Dark Oracle of Gaming
fathead
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by fathead »

scrotoz wrote:
fathead wrote:Tell us more about what happened in that room! I'm intrigued. Give us details! What happened? :)
As far as the orcs went, nothing but feathered death!!!

The fact that we watched an orc shaman get disintegrated while trying to reach in and get the dagger had us FREAKED OUT.

We went there again when time was running out and had our Fort save guy reach in and snag the dagger (after appropriately buffing him of course).

I'll admit it....we were scared. Goodman Games messed with our minds yet again!
So, nothing happened when he grabbed the dagger? I guess the orc shaman disarmed a magical trap for you. :) Funny.
Dark Oracle of Gaming
jfrenia
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by jfrenia »

Or the shaman failed his save... or possibly it was an alignment that allowed you to grab it...
- Joseph Frenia
fathead
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by fathead »

jfrenia wrote: or possibly it was an alignment that allowed you to grab it...
Ahh...that would make sense considering the room in round 2 (crypt of Desid Blightbane...however you spelled his name).
Dark Oracle of Gaming
jfrenia
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by jfrenia »

fathead wrote:Ahh...that would make sense considering the room in round 2 (crypt of Desid Blightbane...however you spelled his name).
Yeah, Rella didn't like trying to open that door, LOL
- Joseph Frenia
fathead
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by fathead »

jfrenia wrote:
fathead wrote:Ahh...that would make sense considering the room in round 2 (crypt of Desid Blightbane...however you spelled his name).
Yeah, Rella didn't like trying to open that door, LOL
Neither did Landron. :)
Dark Oracle of Gaming

Return to “Goodman Games General”