America's Favorite Game Store

General talk about Goodman Games. If it doesn't go anywhere else, post it here. Includes news, announcements, questions, gossip, and so on.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

Lyrix
Gongfarmer

Re: America's Favorite Game Store

Post by Lyrix »

Cosmic Castle
Towers Shopping Ctr
Roanoke VA 24015
(540) 904-5965
http://www.cosmiccastle.net

This game store was created by a few guys who saw a need for a gaming community in our area. They have worked hard to create an place that's a safe gaming environment for all ages. And these guys go out of their way to find the exactly what the customers want and are always trying to demo different games to strike new interest in the community.
cavalier1864
Gongfarmer

Post by cavalier1864 »

New Moon Comics, LLC
463 Main Street
Little Falls, NJ 07424
973-812-6642
www.newmooncomics.com

New Moon Comics is a great store mainly because the owner cares about his consumers and the community. Rob works hard to integrate the comics and gaming folks with the Science Fiction community by fostering great events and teaching his customers that having fun is the most important thing of all.

Product selection: New Moon Comics carries a wide variety of board games, RPGs, supplemental materials, war games, card games, and anything he does not have, he is more than happy to order.

Stock levels: Rarely I find that I must order something. New Moon is great about supporting all of the games that are played at his store.

Events and community support: Not only does New Moon support official events from WotC and FFG (among many others), but they also host gaming events sponsored by the local Science Fiction Society of Northern New Jersey.

Play space: There is an entire room dedicated to gaming and fun. Customers often run demos for new and old products to showcase cool stuff that New Moon sells.

Gamer outreach: The staff at New Moon is great at showcasing and demonstrating games, and showing customers the benefits of gaming, from social and developmental, to simple entertainment,

Other: It is vanishingly rare to find a store that cares more about its customers than pushing sales. The atmosphere at New Moon is friendly, relaxed, and inclusive with no pressure to buy. This means that customers tend to buy more because they feel like they are being treated like people and not consumers.
Highland Raider
Gongfarmer

Post by Highland Raider »

Game HQ
1620 SW 89th St. Ste J
Oklahoma City, OK 73159
405-691-0509
http://www.gameheadquarters.com

GHQ has been in business in Oklahoma City since 1993, and in that time they have garnered a reputation as one the better stores in the southwest U.S. I often overhear customers from out of state telling the employees that they always have to visit this store when passing through the state.

The store, true to its name, is a headquarters in games. Whether traditional board games, card games, role-playing games, war games, miniatures, dice, books or magazines related to gaming, the store has it, and if an item is not in stock the employees will order it from their distributor within a week or, if the distributor doesn't have it, they will track it down. . . even if it means carting it back from an out-of-state convention. They do ship products to customers out of state. The store has two game rooms, which are usually filled with gamers, and the employees run demonstrations and/or regular games each week. In addition, the store has The Dispatch, a monthly letter (posted on the website) which details upcoming games, products, gaming conventions, and store sales.

I've visited numerous game stores from Colorado to Georgia in the past twenty years, and I have failed to find one that really compares to GHQ in volume of stock or professionalism of the staff.
trechriron
Gongfarmer
FLGS: Olympic Cards & Comics

Post by trechriron »

The Game Matrix

8610 South Tacoma Way
Lakewood, WA 98499
253-583-9708
http://www.thegamematrix.com

Owner: Chris Ewick
Product Selection: Incredible. You can find rare/obscure boardgames, card games, and RPGs! Along with a huge selection of fan favorites. Also note they have a splendid Goodman Games section (they love GG's old school vibe)!!
Stock Levels: Multiple copies. Reorder when they sell. All the time. They also special order and have several orders per week with various distributors and companies. The employees are also gamers/enthusiasts and are willing to search out hard-to-find things as well.
Events/Community Support: There is something always going on here. Warhammer tourneys, Magic, Pokemon, RPGs, War Machine, Boardgame nights, late night gaming 5 days a week!
Play Space: 5000 sq ft of space! Divided evenly between retail and play space. Fold up tables and chairs a plenty. Custom war game tables with end pockets to hold you stuff. 5 shelves of terrain. Consignment space to sell products (and find used stuff you want!). Well lit, bathrooms, water fountain, and snack machines. It truly is a mini-convention in there on a regular basis.
Gamer Outreach: Chris attends several conventions during the year with plenty of volunteers to run games, teach games, and promote the store and gaming activities. He has a regular "boffing" group and runs parties and events for younger gamers at events all over the place. There is a post-board in the front of the store to advertise or find games. The employees will take down emails and numbers and share information with other gamers looking or running games.
Other: This store really is by gamers for gamers. Chris has owned this game store for over ten years (that really is an accomplishment if you know this industry...)! I have not found a game store like it anywhere I have visited. WOTC and other publishers in WA make visiting this store a priority for field trips and D&D days. This is like the America's Super Mall of gaming stores.
Trentin C Bergeron
Poet22
Gongfarmer

Post by Poet22 »

Games Plus
101 W. Prospect Ave. Mt. Prospect, IL Phone: 847-577-9656
http://www.games-plus.com/

Product selection: The best I have ever encountered. Since it's opening two decades ago, Games Plus has prided itself on carrying a very eclectic and wide range of RPGs, board games, miniatures, and gaming supplies. Most notably, Games Plus carried the largest selection of metal and plastic miniatures in the country. More importantly, they are displayed in an organized manner on plenty of wall space. I mean, this store is HUGE and they use every inch to display their products. There is even an entire area devoted to Games Workshop that is as large as a regular GW store, and this is just a corner of Games Plus. It is because of Games Plus' selection that my gaming horizons have been broadened.

Stock levels: First, they stock multiple copies of every item in the store. Rarely have I discovered something not in stock and when it has been they restock by the next week. Second, Games Plus does something pretty cool in that they do much of their initial cataloging and prep of new stock right in the middle of the store near the counter and a great kind of "community" table. That means we all get to watch Rich and the staff pull out the newest products and talk about them. Very friendly! Third, Games Plus maintains their own website daily which means I can go on and check on what the latest arrivals are and know that they are actually accurate! How many games shops do that?

Events and community support: Games Plus has events every weekend which they advertise on their website and on a white board in the store. There is a great message board for people looking for games or players. As you enter the store there are flyers about area conventions and events. Finally, you can see Games Plus yourself at GenCon and many other conventions. I've been going to GenCon for almost 20 years and I can't name too many brick and mortar game stores that consistently appear at GenCon.

Play space: I'm old enough to remember that Games Plus has existed in TWO locations in Mt. Prospect. The first was a large store with a back room and basement. It eventually became too small and they moved across the railroad tracks into an old guitar store that is HUGE!! It means the play space is as large as the entire old store. The new area is large with enough space for dozens of people and multiple games. I love that they have shelves of terrain you can throw down and start playing with. They also have an accessible bathroom and snacks for sale.

Gamer outreach:Over my gaming career, I've been both an intense gamer to a casual gamer. Consistently, the staff at Games Plus has supported whatever level of gaming. They are SO nice, knowledgeable, and helpful. These days, you'll even see some of us bringing in our kids, who are welcomed as well!

Games Plus - The BEST gaming store on the planet.
kingpaul
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by kingpaul »

Books Galore
5546 Peach St.
Erie, PA 16509
814-864-1853
(f) 814-864-4583
http://www.myspace.com/eriebooksgalore

I nominate Books Galore. I have been going to this store since the early 90s for my comic and gaming needs. The staff is friendly, and ready to help you out with any questions. They have a good selection of products, from main stream to niche. Anything that they don't have they are happy to order in.

They participate in Free Comic and Free RPG Day, and usually have a staff member at the midnight premiers of movies with a gaming or comic theme.

While the store does not have space to host games on site, they do have a board for gamers to contact other gamers. I have been involved in many a discussion at Books Galore with gamers on various mechanics from multiple games.

I was introduced to Books Galore in high school by a friend because of our mutual interest in comic books. I am still a loyal customer after all these years because of the friendly and courteous atmosphere.
PL 2nd, PCGen
buzz
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by buzz »

I second this emotion!
bigznak wrote:Games Plus

Product selection: Games Plus has everything, and the kitchen sink. If I am looking for any gaming product, I usually try there first. I have to drive over 1 1/2 hours usually (stupid chicago traffic) to get there but will gladly do it every time.

Stock levels: They have a great stock of all types of products. Minis, rpg books, war games (historical, sci-fi, fantasy, etc...), board games, card games, novels.

Events and community support: Games Plus always usually has something going. Next month is Games Day. Can't wait. 2 events = about 13 hours of gaming. Gotta love it.

Play space: Has a huge back room with plenty of space.

Gamer outreach: I have never had a bad run-in with any of the staff at Games-plus. They have all been nice and helpful.

Games Plus - Chicagoland's Source for Adventure Gaming for Over 26 Years
Wrathamon
Gongfarmer

Post by Wrathamon »

Game Kastle
1350 Coleman Ave.
Santa Clara, CA 95050
(408)243-GAME | (408)727-2452
http://www.gamekastle.com

The store carries a huge number of products from RPG, miniatures, cards, boardgames, etc. They always seem to have what you need on hand. they have a huge area for gaming and are always running events. Every time I visit, they have at least 20 or more people playing something. They run all the major events and their website posts all the events coming up and has forums.

The store is really clean and doesnt look like a dingy place. Parents or casual gamers or even new people curious would go in and not be intimidated or turned away.
They people who work there are extremely friendly and experts... Ray who i think manages the store is the nicest person you would ever meet and he is extremely honest. He gives great recommendations on products.

If I still lived in the bay area I would be running events here myself!
captchris
Gongfarmer

Post by captchris »

Thanks to Trent for his vote for The Game Matrix and his kind words! I too would like to toss in my vote for :
The Game Matrix
8610 South Tacoma Way
Lakewood, WA 98499
253-583-9708
www.thegamematrix.com

Trent did a great job pointing out The Game Matrix high points. Somethings to add:
The Game Matrix holds a great new years eve party each year. This family oriented, alcohol free, pot luck event features great food and friends...and don't forget thedeep fried turkeys!
The Game Matrix had the honor of being the game store used in the filming of the Gamers II:Dorkness Rising full length film

Thanks!
Chris
FryeC
Gongfarmer

Post by FryeC »

Store Name: The Game Matrix
Store Contact Info
Address: 8610 South Tacoma Way Lakewood, WA 98499
Phone: 253-583-9708
Web: http://www.thegamematrix.com/

Then state what makes the store your favorite, being sure to touch on these subjects:

Product selection: The Game Matrix “TGM” carries more then enough product options to satisfy both mine and my boys interest. Historical, Sci-fi, Modern and even hobby related clothing and supplies. If there is something they don’t have that we need, their staff is always willing to investigate and if possible order it for us.

Stock levels: Generally TGM stock levels are deep enough one can actually buy full unit sizes for particular units. On top of that they always seem to have the latest new items on time and stocked at a level that takes care of people whom have forgotten to place a preorder.

Events and community support:

Play space: I’ve seen 60 Pok e Mon players and 10 40k players enjoying the game space at the same time.
Do they have in-store gaming? Yes
Is there terrain for miniatures gaming? Yes and its maintained and upgraded. Additional terrain is supplied by store staff as well as workshops.
Do they run events? Several times a week for a majority of their product lines.

Gamer outreach:

Does the store represent our hobby well to the casual customer?
All of my transactions with staff have been pleasant and understanding. All staff seem to be very knowledgeable about a particular area of gaming. Although they may not know about a particular subject they’re not shut off to listening to your questions and will often attempt to find answers they don’t know.

Are they courteous advocates of gaming who behave to a high standard of customer service?
TGM not only supports the local gamers they also attend several Northwest Conventions as well as sponsor off site events at the local parks.

More
Over the years The Game Matrix has been home to many gamers both new and veterans. Not only do they host many events both in store and out of the store, they seem to always encourage other stores to do the same.
Furthermore they’ve learned what it takes to take care of this community and stay in business at the same time. Which to me personally knowing that my LGS is making the right decisions on all fronts makes me willing to invest my time and money there.
Overall I will say that TGM is a positive influence in our gaming community.

Christopher Frye
Local Gamer
Reidzilla
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Reidzilla »

Consider this thirded!!!
buzz wrote:I second this emotion!
bigznak wrote:Games Plus

Product selection: Games Plus has everything, and the kitchen sink. If I am looking for any gaming product, I usually try there first. I have to drive over 1 1/2 hours usually (stupid chicago traffic) to get there but will gladly do it every time.

Stock levels: They have a great stock of all types of products. Minis, rpg books, war games (historical, sci-fi, fantasy, etc...), board games, card games, novels.

Events and community support: Games Plus always usually has something going. Next month is Games Day. Can't wait. 2 events = about 13 hours of gaming. Gotta love it.

Play space: Has a huge back room with plenty of space.

Gamer outreach: I have never had a bad run-in with any of the staff at Games-plus. They have all been nice and helpful.

Games Plus - Chicagoland's Source for Adventure Gaming for Over 26 Years
crawlingunderabrokenmoon.blogspot.com
A fanzine dedicated to bringing gonzo post apocalyptic content for the Dungeon Crawl Classics RPG.
Ninjacat
Gongfarmer

Post by Ninjacat »

Games Plus

Product selection: Games Plus carries everything from RPGs to miniatures to boardgames to CCGs to dice to terrain to books...you get the idea. And snacks, soda...basically, EVERYTHING.

Stock levels: Games Plus carries multiple copies of every new release and at least one copy of all the their older stuff...and that covers an incredible amount of ground.

Events and community support: Games Plus supports all kinds of gaming organizations, Free RPG Days, D&DDays, EnWorld organized GameDays, CCG tournaments, and more.

Play space: The store has a back room set aside for active gaming that's almost as large as the sales floor. It has eight or nine tables, including several set up for miniatures and painting, terrain available for use, plenty of seating, an outstanding set up.

Gamer outreach: Games Plus goes above and beyond. Besides all the community interaction, they're ready and willing to investigate new product, order it for you, interact online with both patrons and members of the industry...

Other: Games Plus is quite simply The World's Greatest Game Store. I've been going there for a half-decade now for the EnWorld GameDays, and Games Plus has never failed to make all visitors welcome, helping us find anything we ask for, allowing long-running games to remain well after closing time in some cases *cough*TB*cough* They've ordered an impossible-to-find box set for me, supported a friend's endeavor into entering the gaming retail industry, just so happened to have an out-of-print Eden book just when another friend was looking for it...Games Plus is the absolute best!
Ninjacat is in ur shadow, watching you game...
bwaltersdorff
Gongfarmer

Post by bwaltersdorff »

Here's another vote for Comic Store West In York, PA.

Comic Store West
2111 Industrial Highway
York PA 17402
(717) 845-9198
http://www.comicstorewest.com/
clixpals
Gongfarmer

Post by clixpals »

Add me to the Comic Store West band wagon.
I stopped playing clix games with the closing of WizKids and I am 100% RPG now..... and loving it.

Comic Store West
2111 Industrial Highway
York PA 17402
717-845-9198

p.s.
Thanks Goodman Games for doing this !!
creativemountain
Gongfarmer

Post by creativemountain »

Games Plus

Product selection: They carry a wide variety of games, including accessories, smaller lines, niche product, and all the basics.

Stock levels: They always have a copy of what you want in stock.

Events and community support: They support Free RPG Day, Worldwide D&D Game Day, local con support, and EN World Gamedays (we've done three a year for the last eight years).

Play space: They have in-store gaming with terrain for miniatures gaming and they run events.

Gamer outreach: The store represents our hobby well to the casual customer. They are courteous advocates of gaming who behave to a high standard of customer service.

Other: I run events there regularly and there are always fun and intelligent gamers ready to play.
Blue Dwarf
Gongfarmer

Post by Blue Dwarf »

Another nomination for the best gaming store in this reality: Teahouse Comics.

Teahouse Comics
5920 Roswell Rd Suite B-107
Sandy Springs GA 30328
404-252-3994
http://www.teahouse-comics.com/

Product Selection: Carries all new 4th Edition D&D books, miniatures, and home-made terrain. Extensive selection of all previous D&D books. There is also an incredibly diversified offering of many other RPG games (Torg, D20, Adventure, etc.), the store benefiting from a voluminous and ecclectic personal collection supplied by Teahouse's enthusiastic proprietors. This would run the gamut from Gurps and Mecha to Space Sci-Fi and Fantasy.

Stock Levels: Teahouse Comics maintains a very satisfying amount of gaming books and supplies, as the owners pay particular attention to what their gaming clientele demand.

Events and Community Support: Two D&D nights a week, in most cases (3rd and 4th Ed. supported). Engaging and fun D&D/Other book release days, including Con-style RPG with freebies galore. Multiple card-play nights, i.e. Marvel/DC/VS, Magic, Lunch Money, with new games added all the time. Teahouse Comics is very generous to its patrons as they have many miniatures, duplicate game pieces, and small replicas available for free at the counter along with a wide array of stickers and posters from the latest movie and comic releases. Teahouse Comics proudly plays a very active role at all of the local Conventions. These include such fan-favorites as Atlanta ComicCon, Sc-Fi SummerCon, and Chattacon, with plans to attend the ever expanding Labor Day event, DragonCon. And this is just a short list of the conventions Teahouse Comics regularly attends throughout the year.

Play Space: Teahouse Comics is very accomodating to its gaming patrons by providing large, clean tables and comfortable padded chairs for gaming use. They also provide custom table coverings and cunningly rendered props that add a depth and dimension to the gaming experience rarely encountered. Home-made terrain consisting of rocks, obilisques, and other curious features reflect the enthusiasm and attention to detail the in-house DM brings to every game he brings to life. Events offered by Teahouse Comics include most every D&D/book release day, along with several other sanctioned activities.

Gamer Outreach: Teahouse Comics is certainly a shining example of what a comic/gaming store should be. The store is very clean and well lit. The gaming products are presented prominently and in an organized fashion. And the gaming area is tidy and spacious. One cannot enter the store without being promptly and courteously approached by a proprietor offering their knowledge and experience in the hobby to the customer. Said proprietors are Mike and Shelley, a very intelligent and personable couple with many years participating in as well as running a myriad of different RPG's. Their friendly and affable personalities have a way of putting the customer at ease while their enthusiasm for the hobby intrigues the customer. The effect of their influence being that the customer wants to know more about the hobby, thus cultivating another player to the game. An added plus is that, no matter your personal level of experience in RPG, you will be made to feel comfortable at Teahouse Comics.

Other: Teahouse Comics is unique in the realm of comic/gaming stores with the quality of their customer service and the diversity of their wares. The proprietors exhibit a knowledge and passion for the hobby that sets a professional benchmark across the board. They take a great deal of pride in what they do and strive to present the best face forward of the gaming community to the public. Gaming at Teahouse Comics is relaxing and fun. If you are lucky enough to have Mike as your DM, you will be privy to the workings of a maestro, as he readily utilizes his over 20 years of gaming experience to produce scenarios even the most seasoned gamer will enjoy. As a gaming enthusiast with many years in the hobby, I can only express positivity and happiness in regards to Teahouse Comics and all of their endeavors. I genuinely invite everyone to visit them to see just what I have been talking about. Teahouse Comics is a great home of gaming.
frankthedm
Gongfarmer

Post by frankthedm »

Another +1 for Games plus!

Games Plus

Product selection: Unbelievably vast. Countless wargames, just about anything available in current RPG distribution channels and a lot of classic and homegrown products to boot. Mix in copious Collectable game and Board games and you might have an inkling just how vast a selection games plus has.

Stock levels:
The store is jam packed All walls and dividers are filled with product. No “bad economy bald patches” to be seen.

Events and community support: Games Plus often hosts ENworld’s Chicago Game day, many collectable game tournaments and several gaming leagues. They also host a huge seasonal auction for OOP products.

Play space: At least 6 full sized gaming tables and another separate full sized meeting room They also provide 100’s [maybe 1000’s] of pieces of gaming terrain. And most importantly, Games Plus has an incredibly clean restroom for their customers .

Gamer outreach: The staff are always polite, helpful and honest. It can be a long drive, but it is worth it. They go above and beyond the call of duty for their customers from staying open late to keeping track of your frequent buyer purchases for you.
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

Thanks everyone for the great nominations! Keep them coming -- two more days then it's time to vote.
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
martiank9
Gongfarmer

Post by martiank9 »

One more vote for:

Tabletop Game & Hobby
6840 w 105th Street
Overland Park, KS
(913) 962-4263
Tabletopgameandhobby.com
VirginiaEwick
Gongfarmer

Post by VirginiaEwick »

:D The Game Matrix. As a parent, I am always happy to see a store which offers a place for gamers (my age and, of course, younger) to game. This store is professional, friendly, and carries almost any product a gamer could wish for -- no matter the venue he or she is a student of. There are MANY MANY different events, expert supervision, staff participation in conventions, charitable and community events, and in-store events and competitions. It is extremely large and capable of holding many competitions simultaneouslyIt is rare for this store to be out of stock on the most popular products, as well as many of the more obscure ones. This store is definitely the best I have ever seen.
Ravenfeast
Gongfarmer

Post by Ravenfeast »

Six Feet Under Games
844 West Main Street
New Holland, PA 17557
717-351-0359
http://www.sixfeetundergames.com
sixfeetundergames@frontiernet.net

Six Feet Under Games carries new and oop board games, miniatures, CCGs, CMGs as well as RPGs and all sort of gaming necessities. The staff is friendly, knowledgeable, and willing to place special orders if they don’t happen to have an item in stock. They host weekly tournaments, pre-release events, participate in Free RPG Day, and other events so there’s always something going on. There are plenty of gaming tables available with a good supply of terrain for miniature gaming and a huge board game library if you’d like to try them out in the store all for free.

The local miniature wargaming club - Northern Lancaster Wargamers http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/NLWargamers/ - holds their weekly Wednesday game night at Six Feet Under Games, which also supplies prize support for the numerous games the club hosts at local conventions. Many other local groups also gather weekly at the store, ranging in interests from CCGs to RPGs to board gaming. They’re also open around the clock during big events like Cold Wars, Historicon and World Boardgame Championships.
- Al

"It's all fun and games until the launch codes are transmitted."

http://www.rivetsandsteam.com
http://ravenfeast.deviantart.com/
grotar
Gongfarmer

Post by grotar »

The Compleat Strategist
580 Shoemaker Road
King of Prussia, PA
Store: 610-265-8562

This is a great store, primarily for its atmosphere but to me its like that grizzled old war veteran who has seen the changing of times and has weathered them.

The 'Strat' has been around since my recollection of it, in 1983, when my father brought me there to by a three pack of Ral Partha Kobolds. It was not in the location it currently is, and had a lot less room, but still had players. I was 10 at the time. I did not return until 3 years later with friends who played Battletech, hopping the bus to its new, and current location on Shoemaker. Some intense games have gone on there and alas many of those friends have passed to other locales far around the world. When I returned to PA 8 years ago, the store and its warm gaming environment had not changed much, and neither did the gamers who I immediately made friends with. I could not conceive of playing D&D with anyone else, and hope to play some old Battletech there.

The newer manager, Howard Fesler, is a good friend of mine and knows his product. If he doesn't have it he will get it for you.

Product selection: The store carries a HUGE selection of games from all genre's, even popular board games. They display them in view of what a customer would want, with easy access to any of its selection.

Stock levels: They stock multiple copies of a product, and will readily order a product if they do not have something.

Events and community support: The 'Strat' is the flagship store for RPGA and D&D events in the Philadelphia Suburbs, and most of Southeastern Pennsylvania. The RPGA coordinators have their thumb on the pulse of RPGA and present games that accommodate a wide variety of gaming groups and styles. The 'Strat' also boasts one of the oldest gaming groups in its walls friday night in Southeastern Pennsylvania. Also run at the store are several Warmachine and Warhammer events.

Play space: There is a large amount of gaming space surrounded by their product. They have three tables to accomodate playing, and a plethora of terrain for miniature gaming events.

Gamer outreach: As I have said earlier, they attract good people, because they have a staff of good people. If you enter on any given day, you have gamers talking or debating rules or plot. On event days they are full of cool people who accept anyone who walks through the door. Any gamer is welcome at the 'strat'.
wizzzzzard
Gongfarmer

Post by wizzzzzard »

The Compleat Strategist
580 Shoemaker Road
King of Prussia, PA
Store: 610-265-8562

I have been going to this store, since the early 80's when my mother took there to buy dice and books for D&D. Then I rode my bicycle there to buy Car Wars materials. Then later I drove my own car to pickup Robotech game models. Now, I run an LFR campaign there every Friday night. I've probably been coming to this store for 25 years. I took my son there a few weeks ago so he could buy some puzzle games, and my daughter regularly accompanies me to my D&D sessions.

They always have tons of different games. Board Game, RPG's, wargaming, bookcase games, card games, dice games. I could go on and on. My kids love it becuase of all the different things to look at (and wish Dad could buy!)

They usually have what I want, when I can afford to buy it, and if not, can get it within a reasonable amount of time.

I think the "open-ness" of the store it it's best feature. The manager is always ready to host a game, any game, that people want to play. Three large tables are available, and ready to serve. They frequently host events on weekends, and they do run into the wee hours sometimes on Fridays. They have a hosting feature online for D&D events, and have terrain for wargaming, as the manager is a wargamer in his past.

The staff, Howard Fesler, Jack Fitzgerald, and Andrea LaPorte, are top-notch. They're all gamers themselves, and I think well represent gaming as a hobby to the 'average joe'. Curteous and Knowledgeable folk, and always ready to play, if they aren't with customers. Heck, they know my kids names! The 'regulars' are tolerant welcoming folk. Always willing to teach a game to a 'noob'.

"The Strat" is the place to go in the Philly suburbs. I know folks who drive miles out of their way to come here, when they could get thier stuff in mall stores. With the economy the way it's been, I think that says something.

I've taken my kids here, and hopefully, if they decide games are fun, they'll bring thier kids here someday too.
viodragon
Gongfarmer

Post by viodragon »

I don't mean to be doing this again. I meant to hit reply and not new. I don't dabble with message boards very often, so excuse me.

Nominating:
The Complete Strategist
580 Shoemaker Road,
King of Prussia, PA.
(610) 265-8562

The Complete Strategist is a very well rounded fully stock store touching on all forms of gaming products. From Dungeons and Dragons to Warhammer. They host plenty of events where the game days for Dungeons and Dragons 4 edition are usually always packed. They support Warhammer quite well, hosting three tables for game play, and usually will have something going on for people to check out or to buy.

There are plenty of events that go on at this store. It is also a great location for the majority of us to meet up and host our own gaming evening. They are plenty customer friendly and have plenty of options for items and games for people to purchase.
swaldbiesser
Gongfarmer

Post by swaldbiesser »

Six Feet Under Games
844 West Main Street
New Holland, PA 17557
717-351-0359
www.sixfeetundergames.com

Product selection: My favorite game store carries board games, card games, miniatures, collectible card games, singles for Magic the Gathering, Pokemon and Dungeons & Dragons Miniatures, roleplaying games, historical miniatures, paints and brushes, terrain making accessories, CCG accessories, and more!

Stock levels: They try to have at least two copies of things in stock, but if they are out of stock of any item they usually get it gack within the same week they sold out. Special order items usually only take a week unless there is a delay from the manufacturer.

Events and community support: You name it, they run it: Free RPG Day, Worldwide D&D Game Day, delve nights, Friday Night Magic, RPGA, support for the local wargaming club Northern Lancaster Wargamers at Cold Wars and Historicon, they stay open around the clock during World Boardgaming Championship and offer free play space and discounts to attendees, they offer free play space to many gaming clubs and also participate in community fundraising (they host an annual auction to raise funds and food for the community food bank)

Play space: The store itself is 4,200 square feet out of which at least 2,000 square feet is gaming space. They have terrain for miniatures gaming, terrain tables for Warmachine/Hordes and a board game library boasting over 1,000 different titles, all that are free for anyone to use.

Gamer outreach: The staff is always welcoming to anyone that walks through the door. One of the beste examples is of a young lady who was curious about roleplaying, but terrified because she was shy and didn't know anything about it. She came in and spoke with one of the staff for a little bit and was invited to join a group that was starting to play Vampire the Masquerade. She ended up playing that and other roleplaying games and is now a regular customer in the store! The staff believes that everyone should be welcome to play whatever game makes them happy. Gaming is supposed to be about having fun and hanging out with people who enjoy the same games you do.

Other: The hours are incredible! They are open almost every day of the year. Mondays they are open from 11 Am until 6 Pm. Tuesdays through Fridays they are open from 11 Am through 9 Pm (most Fridays they don't close until sometime after midnight!). Saturdays they are open from 10 Am through 9 Pm (most Saturdays they don't close until sometime after midnight!). Sundays they are open from 12 Pm until 5 Pm. Those hours are actually posted as the minimum hours. Many days they are open later and they do around the clock hours and extended hours during any of the local conventions.

Return to “Goodman Games General”