What do you think?

General talk about Goodman Games. If it doesn't go anywhere else, post it here. Includes news, announcements, questions, gossip, and so on.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

What do you think?

Post by goodmangames »

So... welcome to the forums! What do you think? Are the forum topics satisfactory? Anybody need a new topic?
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
Mr. Author
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Mr. Author »

I think that it's wunnduhful!

It needs more penguins, though. I'll fix that! I'll fix it good!
(insert witty phrase)
Mr. Author
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Mr. Author »

BAM! Problem fixed!
(insert witty phrase)
RSKennan
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by RSKennan »

The boards are great! Penguins are scary!
I need a change of pants!

Seriously though, The boards look quite professional. I particularly like this :mad: icon a lot.
Proud Graduate of Parallel University.
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

Glad you caught that penguin bug. I'd been wondering when the penguins would get fixed!
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
RSKennan
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by RSKennan »

nooooo!

:D
Proud Graduate of Parallel University.
JoeCrow
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by JoeCrow »

That penguin's been fixed?
:o

No wonder he looks so pissed.

Hey, you're right. These smilies rock.
gregdetwiler
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by gregdetwiler »

You realize, of course, that according to the latest scientific thinking, penguins ARE dinosaurs, just like all birds are.
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

[quote][i]Originally posted by gregdetwiler[/i]
You realize, of course, that according to the latest scientific thinking, penguins ARE dinosaurs, just like all birds are. [/quote]

heh heh heh... now there's a new prospect for "Dinosaurs That Never Were"... the ferocious arctic "Penguin-o-saurus"...
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
snakewing
Wild-Eyed Zealot

on the forums now

Post by snakewing »

Didn't check my email until today, so I didn't previously know the forums were up.

They do look nice. Now I'll have to check out the rest of the areas on here.

Tim
Mr. Author
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Mr. Author »

[quote][i]Originally posted by goodmangames[/i]
[quote][i]Originally posted by gregdetwiler[/i]
You realize, of course, that according to the latest scientific thinking, penguins ARE dinosaurs, just like all birds are. [/quote]

heh heh heh... now there's a new prospect for "Dinosaurs That Never Were"... the ferocious arctic "Penguin-o-saurus"... [/quote]

Ah-hah! But have you read [i]The New Dinosaurs: An Alternative Evolution[/i] by Dougal Dixon? It's a speculative exploration of what may have happened had the dinosaurs never become extinct, and there is a penguin-like pterosaur.
(insert witty phrase)
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

[quote]
Ah-hah! But have you read [i]The New Dinosaurs: An Alternative Evolution[/i] by Dougal Dixon? It's a speculative exploration of what may have happened had the dinosaurs never become extinct, and there is a penguin-like pterosaur. [/quote]

Man! I've been looking for the Dougal Dixon books for a looooong time. Andy Hopp had one and I read his copy. One of these days I'll break down and buy them online.
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
gregdetwiler
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by gregdetwiler »

If you like giant penguins, get Dixon's first book, "After Man: A Zoology of the Future", in which the human race and all the large animals of today become extinct, allowing the "vermin" species to repopulate the Earth. In it, the largest creature on Earth IS a penguin: the vortex, which is a wholly aquatic species 40' long, that has evolved to the lifestyle of a baleen whale.

"The New Dinosaurs" had some good stuff, but wasn't as interesting as the first book. The final book, "Man After Man", covers the future of the human race after the civilized folks leave for space, while leaving behind on Earth various animal forms of humans in generic forms (aquatic form, tree-climbing form, plains-dweller, arctic herbivore, and generalized forest-dweller). If you like seeing humans get warped into strange forms, you'll love this one. I've got all three; bought the first two when they came out, then missed the third and had to get my copy via the Internet. Aside from the used-book departments at Amazon and Barnes & Noble, try Abe Books (www.abebooks.com) and Bibliofind (www.bibliofind.com), though the latter's connected with Amazon now.
gregdetwiler
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by gregdetwiler »

Oh, and I almost forgot Alibris (www.alibris.com).
Mr. Author
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Mr. Author »

Hullo, I just saw that new Animal Planet "Future is Wild" thing.......really neat stuff. There's an idea factory for you!

Squids forever!
(insert witty phrase)
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

[quote][i]Originally posted by Mr. Author[/i]
Hullo, I just saw that new Animal Planet "Future is Wild" thing.......really neat stuff. There's an idea factory for you!

Squids forever! [/quote]

What's that? I haven't seen it.

Speaking of squids, anybody else read that book on giant squids that came a year or two ago? I can't remember the name now. It was really interesting -- they're fascinating, mysterious creatures, especially in an age where everything else is now textbook knowledge.
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
Eryx
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Eryx »

How good is the "New Dinosaurs" book? Is it written in laymen's terms or as a scientific style?

It sounds interesting, I may well have to look it up.
---

Staunch anti-4E. Nuff said.
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

[quote][i]Originally posted by Eryx[/i]
How good is the "New Dinosaurs" book? Is it written in laymen's terms or as a scientific style?

It sounds interesting, I may well have to look it up. [/quote]

Well, *I* think it's intersting, but I'm biased. :) It's written in layman's terms, as a d20 monster manual. The dinosaurs have "real" scientific names but are also given nicknames, and the main point is to provide dinos that make for interesting gaming. So, in addition to mean carnosaurs and huge sauropods, there are also unusual dinos: lemming-like swarms, cliffside mountain-dwellers (the dinosaur equivalent of mountain goats), and others.
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
gregdetwiler
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by gregdetwiler »

It also has a brief history of Cretasus' Storm Valley, where these dinos are primarily supposed to live. The place has violent storms over it all the time, so simply entering the place is hazardous. And if your character in the Broncosaurus Rex campaign is a member of the Union military, avoid getting posted to Fort Phil Kearny AT ALL COSTS!
Mr. Author
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

It's that time again....

Post by Mr. Author »

That's right, time for another penguin!
(insert witty phrase)
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

heh heh heh... that's pretty funny. The style reminds me a lot of some of the comics Humanoids has published, particularly "Ante Genesum"...
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
BenPowis
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by BenPowis »

:D

Seems I havnt said my piece here yet, excelent you got a forum! Should be a lota fun!

Return to “Goodman Games General”