Convention Conventions, Re: Running

General talk about Goodman Games. If it doesn't go anywhere else, post it here. Includes news, announcements, questions, gossip, and so on.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Convention Conventions, Re: Running

Post by GnomeBoy »

What's the take on folks running DCCs and other Goodman products as 'official' games at conventions?

My 'local' convention, DunDraCon, is coming up, and I'm always looking for something to run as an offical game... Is there any preference on running or not running your adventures? Perhaps regarding how recently something has been published, etc. Maybe there's a GM-SAT test to pass first...?

My suspicion is that you'd be pleased to get the exposure. But DDC* has a policy of not really wanting people to run published material, which to me flies in the face of the number of sub-par home-brewed games I've played in at the con**. I think it's pretty much always down to the quality of the GM, personally. If I had a 'waiver' from a publisher, it might carry weight, if I said I'd like to run a DCC for the con.... [I'm not sure I will have time to prep and run something this year, but I'd like to get my goblins in a row beforehand, in case I do.]

* 'DDC' is DunDraCon... and I wind up typing this about half the time I'm meaning to type 'DCC'.... :roll:

**Still, I get in far more good games than bad, but the stinkers make me wish they had perhaps gone with something published, since at least there'd be some structure or inventiveness, perhaps.
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Re: Convention Conventions, Re: Running

Post by goodmangames »

How long have you been coming to DunDraCon? We came out for several years in a row, and even published DCC #0 originally as a DunDraCon special. Erol Otus lives in the area and would come out to sign autographs... it's a fun con. I certainly have no objections whatsoever if you want to run one of our modules there!
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Re: Convention Conventions, Re: Running

Post by GnomeBoy »

I've been to most DunDraCons since about 1990. Met Mr. Otus and he signed #0 and my vintage C1 for me the first time you had him out there, which was awesome. I was disappointed you weren't there in Feb '08, since I was ready to buy five or six DCC's right then and there... wound up getting one of the CW's off Mr. Ghiozzi, and a 'damaged goods' copy of #25 from another vendor instead. And you're right, it is a fun con.

Alright, so if I do fit in running a DCC at DDC as an official game, and they balk, I'll tell them "Joe sent me!". :wink:

...or at least, he said it's okay.... :roll:
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham

Return to “Goodman Games General”