When's the 3.x/OGL sale?

General talk about Goodman Games. If it doesn't go anywhere else, post it here. Includes news, announcements, questions, gossip, and so on.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

joela
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

When's the 3.x/OGL sale?

Post by joela »

Due to the way the GSL seems to be shaping up, does Goodman Games plan to host a massive sale to get ride of all its 3.x/OGL products before switching to the exclusive 4e license?
What do you mean no?
DaveMage
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Re: When's the 3.x/OGL sale?

Post by DaveMage »

Yeah, now that it's been made clear that you cannot publish products both under the OGL and GSL, I'd like to know when Goodman 3.x .pdfs will no longer be available, (and when the sale on them will be ;) ).
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

DaveMage wrote:...it's been made clear that you cannot publish products both under the OGL and GSL....
Hmm. Really? Wow, I didn't know about that... where's the source? Link?
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
joela
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

link

Post by joela »

gnome boy, see http://www.enworld.org/showpost.php?p=4 ... stcount=51. And Enworld has an excellent summary on the front page of its site which includes clarifications from the WotC liasons: http://www.enworld.org/.

Hmmm. From this http://www.enworld.org/showpost.php?p=4 ... stcount=29, it looks like sales for transitioning 3.x/OGL to 4E sites like Necromancer Games and Goodman Games should be before year's end. Yes! :lol:
What do you mean no?
mythfish
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Re: link

Post by mythfish »

joela wrote:gnome boy, see http://www.enworld.org/showpost.php?p=4 ... stcount=51. And Enworld has an excellent summary on the front page of its site which includes clarifications from the WotC liasons: http://www.enworld.org/.
Does "No Covered Product may include “Miniatures.”" mean no DCC minis?
Dieter Zimmerman
[[Faceless Minion of the Dark Master]]
joela
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by joela »

mythfish wrote:
joela wrote:gnome boy, see http://www.enworld.org/showpost.php?p=4 ... stcount=51. And Enworld has an excellent summary on the front page of its site which includes clarifications from the WotC liasons: http://www.enworld.org/.
Unless they're paper :lol:
What do you mean no?
Nahat Anoj
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Nahat Anoj »

mythfish wrote:
I think what it means is that GG can still publish minis, but they can't slap the "D&D," "GSL," or whatever "official" label on them.
Mongol Warlord: Dungeon Master, what is best in life?
Dungeon Master: To crush the characters, see their sheets pile before you, and to hear the lamentation of the players.
Mongol Warlord: That is good!
frank5471uk
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by frank5471uk »

Hey guys

Joseph might take a real financial hit over this latest shocker from WoTC. I know it'll be good for those of you who want to pick up some cheap modules, but please spare a thought for Mr Goodman's livelihood.

No need to sound quite so delighted :wink:

For me, I'm quite saddened because I was hoping that GG could carry on publishing a few 3.5Ed modules as well as the 4e ones (just like they have managed a few 1st Ed modules). THis doesn't look too likely now, does it :(

Frank
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.
Treebore
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Treebore »

Well, if Joe really wants to he will still be able to publish 3E as well as 4E material, it just won't all be done under the Goodman Games banner anymore.

I would like to know how much the cancellation of the STL will hurt him, though. Hopefully he doesn't have too much of an inventory to clear out.
Castles and Crusades is my game of choice!
JediOre
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by JediOre »

Treebore wrote: I would like to know how much the cancellation of the STL will hurt him, though. Hopefully he doesn't have too much of an inventory to clear out.

What is this "STL" you speak of Rancher Treebore?
ChristinaStiles
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by ChristinaStiles »

[quote="JediOre]
What is this "STL" you speak of Rancher Treebore?[/quote]

In nutshell, it is the license to use the d20 logo. It's going away. All pdf publishers have been told to remove the logo from their offerings. Print publishers have basically been told to get rid of their product within 6 months (I believe).
Christina Stiles
DCC #21 Assault on Stormbringer Castle, DCC #22 The Stormbringer Juggernaut, DCC #49: Palace in the Wastes; Dragonmech: The Last City, 2nd Age of Walkers, Steam Warriors
joela
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

June on

Post by joela »

ChristinaStiles wrote:Print publishers have basically been told to get rid of their product within 6 months (I believe).
Correct. The d20 STL expires in June. Publishers to write up and/or sell 4E will have a six month grace period to get rid of their 3.x and OGL print stock. Pdf publishers will have that time to basically "black out" out the old d20 logo. Not sure about the OGL logo, but I believe it's affected as well.

Thus, in theory, 4E publishers should not be selling any 3.x/OGL material at the beginning of next year.
What do you mean no?
Treebore
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Treebore »

It goes beyond that, anyone with 3E print inventory with the d20 logo on it must sell it off or destroy it by the end of the year. It is a completely independent issue of 4E and the GSL. All 3E publishers are effected by this, even if they aren't going 4E.
Castles and Crusades is my game of choice!
joela
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by joela »

Treebore wrote:It goes beyond that, anyone with 3E print inventory with the d20 logo on it must sell it off or destroy it by the end of the year. It is a completely independent issue of 4E and the GSL. All 3E publishers are effected by this, even if they aren't going 4E.
Ack! That's right. Thanks, Treebore.
What do you mean no?
FlamingManofIron
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by FlamingManofIron »

So judging by the blow out sale, GG is going 4E?
JediOre
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by JediOre »

You are correct. Goodman Games has moved to the fourth edition of D&D.
Raptor
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Raptor »

What about X-Crawl? They just put up a request on these boards to beta test a new version with modified 3.5 rules. Of course, they may be planning to cover that by saying that it is a Pandahead product, not Goodman games.
Last edited by Raptor on Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JediOre
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by JediOre »

Sorry, I should have been more specific.

I know Goodman Games has moved to the Fourth Edition of D&D with the Dungeon Crawl Classic line. How this new edition of D&D will effect the other Goodman lines of products is unclear to me.
joela
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by joela »

Raptor wrote:they may be planning to cover that by saying that it is a Pandahead product, not Goodman games.
Pandahead?
What do you mean no?
Raptor
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Raptor »

The company that originally created and produced X-Crawl.
Grendel T. Troll
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Grendel T. Troll »

Just want to say that WotC has changed their GSL. They REMOVED Section 6 part regarding the "no going back to OGL."

What would that mean to GG support of 3.x????
Grendel T. Troll
Linux Minion #299419
Pathfinder and C&C RPG advocate.

"Mage: Haha! I just wish I was there so see his face when he opens it. Wait....am I still wearing that Ring of Wishing??? *poof*"
DCCfan
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer
FLGS: The Comics Club

Post by DCCfan »

I would like to see GG support it a little. Maybe they could release a few choice adventures 3.5 like they did for C&C. However I doubt it they have gone 4E. Still never say never right?
"When creating your character,choose an ethical system that can justify nearly any fit of temper, greed, cowardice, or vindictiveness, for example, Chaotic Violent..."

THE PROTOCOLS, ADVANCED PROTOCOL #10

Return to “Goodman Games General”