Gen Con DCC Trivia Contest

General talk about Goodman Games. If it doesn't go anywhere else, post it here. Includes news, announcements, questions, gossip, and so on.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Gen Con DCC Trivia Contest

Post by goodmangames »

Hello everyone,

Think you know a lot about the DCC series? Test your knowledge with our DCC trivia contest! The trivia questions are on the file link below. Print it out, write in your name and answers, and bring it by our booth at Gen Con (#2615). The deadline is Saturday at the close of the exhibit hall. Come back Sunday at 1:00 to find out if you advance to the finals. At 1:00 we’ll hold the finals at the booth, where the highest scorers will compete to answer even more trivia until someone walks away with the grand prize! Which is – we don’t know what, yet, but it will be cool.

Here's the file:
http://www.goodman-games.com/downloads/ ... Trivia.pdf

And here are the questions themselves, in case anyone on the forums wants to take a stab at them (either now or after the con):

1. Which DCC first named the Xulmec city-states?

2. The artist “DSL” got his start on TSR modules and now illustrates Dungeon Crawl Classics adventures. What is his real name?

3. What evil dwarf god, first noted in a Harley Stroh adventure, forms an aggregate deity together with six other gods?

4. Who was the Ripper’s last victim?

5. What happens to the adventurers when they are first transported to the Forest of Lanterns in DCC #38?

6. In Tom Moldvay’s D&D Basic Rulebook, the thief Black Dougal dies from a poison needle trap. In what DCC can the PCs loot the corpse of Black Dougal?

7. What is the name of the Witch Queen?

8. In DCC #26: The Scaly God, where is the Magic Repository?

9. Name the infamous pirate who terrorized the Lirean Sea more than a century ago and stored his treasure on a remote island.

10. Metal from a mysterious object that fell from the sky was forged into what group of weapons?

11. The beautiful elven city of Arovarel was destroyed by the forces of which fiendish creature?

12. Name the powerful dark artifact possessed by Ankharet the Sphinx Queen.

13. Members of this family of wererats have appeared more than once in the DCCs.

14. The mountain that houses the Volcano Caves is called what?

15. How many adventures appear in DCC #29?

16. Where did the DCC “The Deep Ruin” appear?

17. How many printings of DCC #1 have there been?

18. What DCC is the only one to feature non-OGL monsters -- and what is the monster?

19. Which DCC features a villain whose name is an anagram of Erol Otus?

20. What is the name of the giant statue in the Criestine Empire that is considered one of the “Wonders of the World”?

21. Name the vile necromancer seeking the Mask of Death.

22. In the world of Áereth, which came first: sphinxes or nagas?

23. The skull of the demon Obitu-que has how many eye sockets?

24. What color is the dragon Myrkjarten, the wayward wyrm who re-discovers his ancestral home?

25. Which artist “keeps it old-school” by signing his DCC work with a date from the early 1980s?
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
Argamae
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Argamae »

Oh, well, since I can't make it to GEN CON - let's try here and now.

1. That must have been DCC#4 "Bloody Jack's Gold".

2. Diesel LaForce.

3. Septych, "Seven as one".

4. Mari Kell.

5. Not a clue.

6. Basic D&D Rulebook by Tom Moldvay?? Never heard of that... I only have the red box edition books and they were edited by Frank Mentzer.

7. Kyleth, or more aptly: Lady Kyleth.

8. I venture a guess: in a secret room.

9. That should be Jack Dascombe a.k.a. Bloody Jack.

10. Hm, did you mean "Shadowstone weapons"? Every weapon forged out of this metal is always a masterwork weapon.

11. Chalychia.

12. That would be the Black Crown, is it?

13. The Gannu Family.

14. Mount Rolnith.

15. It's twenty, all in all.

16. In KOTD #117.

17. I think there were 3 printings.

18. He he he, its DCC #18: "Citadel of the Demon Prince".

19. It is DCC #0 "Legends Are Made, Not Born". The Villain's name is Suto Lore. (It's Erol Otus spelled backwards)

20. The Sentinel of Cortaigne.

21. Mort Kemnon.

22. Sphinxes, right after the Dragons.

23. Five.

24. I can only guess: white?

25. Doug Kovacs.
The lucky guy who gets to translate DCCs into German!
Done so far:
DCC#1, DCC #11, DCC #28, DCC #17, DCC #17.5 :)
Mike_Ferguson
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Mike_Ferguson »

Argamae wrote:Basic D&D Rulebook by Tom Moldvay?? Never heard of that...
Heretic!!!!!! :P :)

It predates the "red" boxed set by a few printings - it features fantastic cover art by Erol Otus, and was indeed written by the late Tom Moldvay. I think it's probably the best version of the D&D Basic rules out there.

If you're trying to introduce someone to RPGs, or want to give an easy, fun RPG to an interested kid, you can't go wrong with picking a copy of the Basic D&D Rulebook by Tom Moldvay off of eBay.
Rick Maffei
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Rick Maffei »

Oddly enough, I actually got a copy of this boxed set for my birthday a few months ago. A friend (really a friend of my wife until a couple years ago) knew I was "into D&D" and, not knowing anything about D&D or RPGs, found the boxed set at a sale and gave it to me on a lark! :D
DCC #26 The Scaly God
DCC #60 Thrones of Punjar
Monstercology: Orcs
Age of Cthulhu 2: Madness in London Town
Co-author Age of Cthulhu 5: The Long Reach of Evil
Co-author 2006, 2007, 2008 Tourney DCCs

Visit Rick's RPG Blog Jabberwock's Rest
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

Mike_Ferguson wrote:It predates the "red" boxed set by a few printings - it features fantastic cover art by Erol Otus, and was indeed written by the late Tom Moldvay. I think it's probably the best version of the D&D Basic rules out there.
I started with the version edited by J. Eric Holmes....

Any notable differences between this and the Moldvay version that you know of? I had always assumed they were essentially the same version with new art...
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
Charke
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Charke »

Lol. Those covers reminded me of Clash of the Titans... ..oh come on, you've seen Clash of the Titans. sigh. When Perseous brings in Calobous's hand and drops it on the floor as the answer to the riddle!

Mark Charke

Return to “Goodman Games General”