Goodman Games & Expansion

General talk about Goodman Games. If it doesn't go anywhere else, post it here. Includes news, announcements, questions, gossip, and so on.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

papaholdy
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Goodman Games & Expansion

Post by papaholdy »

I just want to wright and express both Kudos and concerns. First the Kudos.
Goodman games had the right idea with the DCC line. I has the right spirit to rescue new D&D from itself. It revitaized my game, by bringing it back to basics.

When you branched inot minis I did begin to worry. I am sure you know Kenzer. They did the same thing with HackMaster. I am sure they made a lot of mistakes, but it seems the big one they made was expanding to quickly. They had minis, HackMaster, a D20 line, other games etc. and now they are barely afloat, and never turn out any product.

I would hate to see you guys go the same way.

On another note, I would love to see you and Troll Lord partner so the entire DCC line would get the C&C conversion treatment.
slimykuotoan
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Re: Goodman Games & Expansion

Post by slimykuotoan »

papaholdy wrote:On another note, I would love to see you and Troll Lord partner so the entire DCC line would get the C&C conversion treatment.
Seconded...that way I can keep buying them.

Or perhaps supply DCC/C&C conversion notes as free downloads on this site?

Wouldn't be too much trouble, and you'd be nabbing up all the C&C fans...
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

The fan bases for most companies go through 3-5 year cycles. A game line -- whether it's Warhammer, D&D, Hackmaster, or Magic -- typically interests gamers for roughly 3-5 years, then the fans move on to something else. I think this is pretty much normal behavior... it's how I've always been. Some of the fans inevitably return, and some new ones start up over time, but regardless, there are clear peaks and valleys that seem to run in 3-5 year cycles.

The traditional response of most game publishers to this ranges from complete bewilderment ("Why are our sales declining??") to various efforts to bring back the fans (release a second edition, issue a plea for people to buy, etc.).

Personally, I'd rather offer some more fun products that keep people interested. So once folks get tired of DCC modules, they can try out Wicked Fantasy Factory, or maybe Judges Guild... and when they're tired of DragonMech, they can try out Etherscope... and so on.

So don't worry. I'm thinking ahead. If/when fans need a break from a given line, I hope to have an alternative to offer them. And when the normal peaks and valleys occur, I'm not going to freak out and release a second edition of something. Or a fourth edition, for that matter. :)
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
slimykuotoan
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

re

Post by slimykuotoan »

Any chance for DCC/C&C conversion notes as free downloads on this site?

I know the dual system for DCCs is out, but the above would allow C&C fans to keep purchasing DCCs, and you guys wouldn't need to up the 'ink levels/page counts' of your adventures...
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Re: re

Post by goodmangames »

slimykuotoan wrote:Any chance for DCC/C&C conversion notes as free downloads on this site?

I know the dual system for DCCs is out, but the above would allow C&C fans to keep purchasing DCCs, and you guys wouldn't need to up the 'ink levels/page counts' of your adventures...
Nothing planned right now, but I'd be happy to host anything that fans want to put together. I think Chris did a good job of covering it in his "how to" post on the DCC forums, and people have definitely taken advantage of it (as you know!).
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com

Return to “Goodman Games General”