castles & crusades?

General talk about Goodman Games. If it doesn't go anywhere else, post it here. Includes news, announcements, questions, gossip, and so on.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

slimykuotoan
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

castles & crusades?

Post by slimykuotoan »

is this system truly compatible with d20, if so, why publish adventures separately for them

ie. why not just produce DCCs, etc.
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

You could say it's "d20 light" -- if you understand basic d20 you can play C&C, but it still has enough of its own substance to warrant a conversion.
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
Argamae
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Argamae »

If I may elaborate a little bit on this, C&C differs in many ways to the "standard" D20/OGL rules.

For example, C&C uses a different ability bonus progression. It compares to the old progression from CLassic D&D: an ability value of 9-12 has an ability bonus of 0, 13-15 offers a +1 bonus, 16-17 is +2 and 18 is +3.
Furthermore, C&C makes use of 6 different saving throw categories instead of the 3 (Fort, Ref, Will) of the 3rd Edition.
In the basic rules of C&C there are no skills - everything is covered with ability checks.
C&C keeps the new armor class system, though.

So, to cut this short: C&C is in many ways more like the old D&D/AD&D than D20. And it is much more "rules lite"!
The lucky guy who gets to translate DCCs into German!
Done so far:
DCC#1, DCC #11, DCC #28, DCC #17, DCC #17.5 :)
slimykuotoan
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

re:

Post by slimykuotoan »

Can I use this system with my gazillion Dungeon Crawl Classics I've purchased without too much effort?

I'm so absolutely committed to the DCCs, that I wouldn't even consider moving to another system which would in any way make them unplayable, or 'hard to play'.

Honestly, the DCCs are my bread and butter...
gideon_thorne
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Re: re:

Post by gideon_thorne »

slimykuotoan wrote:Can I use this system with my gazillion Dungeon Crawl Classics I've purchased without too much effort?
Yes
Peter B

Castles & Crusades and Lejendary Adventure Artist
JediOre
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Re: re:

Post by JediOre »

What he said. Although the higher level modules may not be as easy to convert on the fly as the others.
slimykuotoan
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by slimykuotoan »

Thanks guys; I really appreciate the responses.

Could anyone elaborate on how easily the DCCs can be converted over, or perhaps provide a short example?

Will I mainly be just removing stuff from the the monster stats and then eyeballing it?

Or is there a tried and true method, etc?
gideon_thorne
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by gideon_thorne »

slimykuotoan wrote:
Will I mainly be just removing stuff from the the monster stats and then eyeballing it?
Thats what I tend to do. Im the fly by the seat of the pants sort. I scan an eye over the stats, work out HP, AC and offensive capability at a glance and run with it.
Peter B

Castles & Crusades and Lejendary Adventure Artist
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

This question has come up enough now that I've made Chris's conversion post a sticky on the DCC forums. Try this for detailed conversion notes:

http://www.goodman-games.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=785
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
robertsconley
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by robertsconley »

slimykuotoan wrote:Thanks guys; I really appreciate the responses.

Could anyone elaborate on how easily the DCCs can be converted over, or perhaps provide a short example?

Or is there a tried and true method, etc?
Recently I ran Tomb of Horrors under C&C as a one shot for a group of friends. The conversion was stupidly simple as outlined in here.

http://www.goodman-games.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=785

Also the original Tomb of Horrors had these special rules in the text (like there is a 2 in 6 change that firm tapping of the floor by a 10' pole will activate this trap.) That worked fine.

The two main difficulties are

a) multi-class in C&C was not a good fit. All the players preferred single class character using C&C.

b) Figuring out Challenge Ratings for traps and stuff was tough without either being too easy or killing the players outright. I would up looking at Wizards 3.5 conversion of Tomb of Horrors to get the a grip on this.

Won't be an issue with DCC conversions as they have them listed already. After a while I got a better feel for CRs and was able to be more consistent afterward.
JediOre
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by JediOre »

For what it's worth, I ran a friend (and sometimes more than one) through DCC #17 using C&C rules.

Here is the thread I posted about it:

http://www.goodman-games.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=834

Return to “Goodman Games General”