Program used by GG to make the clean, simple, old school map

General talk about Goodman Games. If it doesn't go anywhere else, post it here. Includes news, announcements, questions, gossip, and so on.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

mudpyr8
Ill-Fated Peasant

Program used by GG to make the clean, simple, old school map

Post by mudpyr8 »

What program are you using to make the nice, clean, line maps for most of your modules?

I very much like the full color art filled ones you publish, and use them when I run my games, but I also like the clean maps you have and would like to make my own.

Thanks.
Legendsmiths presents: Narosia * Sea of Tears, a complete fantasy setting for the Hero System. Visit www.narosia.com
superfan
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by superfan »

Hi mudpyr8,

As a FYI, you can download an art pack into Dundjinni that will allow you do the same blue and white clean lined maps that Goodman Games uses....the "old school" maps.

Head over to www.dundjinni.com and look into classic mapping!

Ben
"They Might Be Dwarves" - World Champions Xcrawl 2007. So BAD...but yet so good.
mudpyr8
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by mudpyr8 »

I have that pack. Is that what GG is using, or is it something else, do you know?

I like Dundjinni a lot but it isn't vector based and for larger maps I like to play around with my placement of objects.
Legendsmiths presents: Narosia * Sea of Tears, a complete fantasy setting for the Hero System. Visit www.narosia.com
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

Goodman Games uses Jeremy Simmons, a.k.a. Topographic Rex!
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
Sir Clarence
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Sir Clarence »

You can easily draw these maps with CC2 and also with its follow-up CC3. http://www.profantasy.com/

These programs have a steep learning-curve though and also cost you quite some cash. The advantage is that CC3 is extremely versatile and offers you many possibilities for custom-made maps (the default settings aren't my cup of tea).

As an example, you might take a look at Beneath Black Towen, a free 1st edition adventure, published over at Dragonsfoot. The maps in there are made with CC3.
robertsconley
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by robertsconley »

I used CorelDRAW for my maps in Badabaskor and for Pegasus #15 with a lot of symbol drawn over the years.

For Campaign Cartographer 2 (not the new 3) I recommend use of the Harn tool kit at http://www.thechmp.com/MappaHarnica/index.htm

Harn style interior maps uses similiar interior symbols the classic old style map.

Even with CC3 you can use the symbol libraries from the toolkit.

Rob Conley
Barrataria
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Barrataria »

goodmangames wrote:Goodman Games uses Jeremy Simmons, a.k.a. Topographic Rex!
Where can I get this mystical software? I've never heard of "Jeremysimmons" but I hope it's easy to use and runs on Windows XP.

BB
toper
Far-Sighted Wanderer

JeremySimmons 3.0

Post by toper »

I run on All Windows platforms....except Vista. For that you've got to transplant my brain, add another eye to my face and sing sweet blues to me.

Actually, it's very simple. I use Illustrator for the DCC maps. But there are certain tips and tricks to create the consistency necessary for these maps, and a whole host of icons that I keep creating to fill all the weird and wonderful visions of the DCC authors. If you were to find those secrets out...well, there are plenty of empty tombs in previous adventures where I could hide the bodies of nosy would-be cartographers...heh heh heh.

Just kidding of course. I always eat the bodies.
-Jeremy Simmons "TOPOGRAPHIC REX"

www.dungeonartist.com

www.fourtowersdesign.net

God Save the Penguins
mudpyr8
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by mudpyr8 »

Thank you. Not wanting to pay for Illustrator I will continue my Inkscape route. I have built a small number of standard symbols and they work well. You are the second cartographer to say Illustrator so that must be the route to go.

Return to “Goodman Games General”