Please translate this for me!

General talk about Goodman Games. If it doesn't go anywhere else, post it here. Includes news, announcements, questions, gossip, and so on.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

JediOre
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Please translate this for me!

Post by JediOre »

"Wicked Fantasy Factory adventures feature phat lewt, hordes of mooks waiting to be mowed down..."

What is "phat lewt?'

Who or what is a mook?

Has "culture" left me behind or has the failure that is public education becoming normalized (or both)?

Thanks for educating me.
Save Vs. Death Ray
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Re: Please translate this for me!

Post by Save Vs. Death Ray »

Translation Guide: Ancient Baklunish to New Common
JediOre wrote:"What is "phat lewt?'
Monty Haul, but in a good way.
JediOre wrote:"What is "mook?'
Goons, ala Indiana Jones, but this disagrees with me:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=mook
Has "culture" left me behind or has the failure that is public education becoming normalized (or both)?

I think this was posed tongue-in-cheek, but if not, I'd say that culture is simply becoming schisiming into small factions (the very sort that makes a company devoted to selling adventures soley devoted to dungeon crawls financially viable). So we say Monty Haul, they say phat lewt, and we all roll for initiative and beat up orcs.

Works for me.
superfan
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by superfan »

With any luck, this sucks in younger folks and paves the way for more complex adventures later.

Gotta start hackin' sometime.....gotta learn the ropes before you can win the DCC world tourney at Gencon :D

Kudos to the team for trying something new!

Ben "superfan" Waxman
"They Might Be Dwarves" - World Champions Xcrawl 2007. So BAD...but yet so good.
JediOre
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by JediOre »

Thanks for bringing me up to speed.
trancejeremy
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by trancejeremy »

Yeah, "Mook" in gaming terms (and it's not that new, actually, I think Robin Laws used it in the early 90s? in Feng Shui?) is basically a guy that gets killed easily in a fight. However, it's also slang, but has a different meaning ("idiot" or numbskull).

Rent the movie "Hard Boiled" by John Woo to see an example of mooks vs. er, non-mooks. That movie probably has a body count in the 100s (According to IMD, 230. So close). On one side, you have Tequila (Chow Yun Fat) and Tony Leung mowing down bad guys. But on the other, there's Mad Dog and Anthony Wong doing the same to cops. But when they meet each other, spectacular battles result.

Return to “Goodman Games General”