The Holiday Grab Bags

General talk about Goodman Games. If it doesn't go anywhere else, post it here. Includes news, announcements, questions, gossip, and so on.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

snakewing
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by snakewing »

Silly me, I actually got my package the same day I posted.

Got a lot of good stuff, so I thought I'd post a list:

Miniatures:
The Castellan, Half-Dragon Ettin - sweet looking figure, too bad I can't paint, can't wait to see it fully assembled
Oddwit Silverheel, Gnome Fighter/Bard - I might end up using this for a halfling bard character I have, too bad he doesn't have a crossbow
Wererat Goblin - big fan of wererats so this was a treat
Rez-Zomar, Goblin Warchief - again, something from DCC #1, always nice
Ulfsek of the Purifying Flame, dwarf paladin - maybe I'll play a dwarf paladin
Ulfsek of the Purifying Flame, dwarf paladin - not a typo, I actually got two
Rella Rubyhair, Halfling Bard - too bad she's not male, it would be great for my bard
Issele, Evoker - a nice extra mini
my only regret is that I didn't get any kobolds or Lawrence Gannu

RPG supplements:
DCC #7: Secret of Smuggler's Cove - a DCC I don't have, very nice
Etherscope: Just a Delivery - nice looking short adventure
Etherscope: Upload: Etherpunk - of course now I need the main book for Etherscope
Xcrawl Core Rulebook - I had the original printing, but this was is in color and much nicer
Xcrawl: Necromerica - good looking dungeon to use down the line
Complete Guide to Beholders - I had this already, but this was is 3.5 compatible and my old one was 3.0
Demon Hunter's Handbook - haven't read through it yet, but I like demon-hunting so this is a must-have
Lethal Legacies: Traps of the World Before - nice looking traps, good book

Card Games:
World Championship Dodge Ball - the box may say 9 and above, but I'm gonna see if my two little brothers might like this

Extra Special One of a Kind $100 grab bag prize:
Original art by DCC fan favorite Brad McDevitt: the “Chomper” scene from Xcrawl: Necromerica

That's right, I not only got the Necromerica game but also a nice piece of art from the book.

All in all, a nice haul. I'm seriously considering getting another, but i'd be afraid of getting some stuff twice (like the two dwarves).

Anyone else want to share some of the swag they got?

Tim Grubbs
Goblin
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Goblin »

Are the holiday Grab Bags still available for orders?
and if i order the 100$ the shipment is free to Canada?
which postal service does Goodman Games use for shipping?
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

Hi Goblin,

Yes, the grab bags are still available. The price does include shipping to Canada via the US postal service. At this point I can't guarantee it will arrive before Christmas (since mail to Canada takes a little longer) but they're still a great deal. :)
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
Goblin
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Goblin »

I don't mind if it arrives after the Holidays including New Year eve... especially when the 100$ gift bag is for me :)

I just hope i don't get too many same books from what i just ordered a couple weeks ago. If so.. i guess i will give them to my players. But there is alot of stuff i like and don't have so it shouldn't be a problem. hehe.

I just love the pure randomness of the goodies.
Fintil
Gongfarmer

Received my Grab Bags

Post by Fintil »

I received the grab bags last week. As my special gifts I received:

DCC #17.5: War of the Witch Queen, pulled from Joseph’s personal collection

and

Original post-production green for the DCC miniature “Deadly Fungus”

All in all, I was thrilled with the contents of the grab bags. Thanks!!!

James
superfan
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by superfan »

What a stunner of a new post! you da man!!!!

You just paid for your investment w/ your "winnings".

Be sure to hold onto it for a while. It's only going up and up in value as per the folks on the www.acaeum.com forum.

Well done,

Ben "superfan" Waxman
"They Might Be Dwarves" - World Champions Xcrawl 2007. So BAD...but yet so good.
Goblin
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Goblin »

i wonder what is the 2 "unclaimed mail order" packages. More out of a curiosity than anything. If someone gets them, post what it is.
Goblin
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Goblin »

Goodman Games pay for the shipping which i am really thankful for. Thank you thank you. :)
i sorta forgotten about this till after NYE, but wow that was fast.

--Just a Delivery: i know this is free, but i am type of the person who vastly prefers to read from my hands than on a pdf. This almost completes my Etherscope collection. I am only missing The Great Metropolis and the Lemurian candidate. Not sure if i need the Great Metropolis since i plan to have my players travel around the World. Can't wait to start an Etherscope horror Campaign. :)

-- DDC #7: Secret of the Smuggler's Grove and DDC#37: The Slithering Overload. i don't own any DDC adventures but i really wanted to try one. Now i get to see why they are so popular.

--Lethal Legacies: i just bought this last week, but since this is a great book, i won't have trouble to find a local GM or RPG fan who want this.
--Demon Hunter's Handbook: awesome!! it goes well with the WotC Fiendish Codexes. :twisted:
--MorningStar: bah!! i am cursed with this book :| .

--Aerial Adventure Guide II: bleh, maybe I can use this for a Scope City in my Etherscope campaign.
--Aerial Adventure Guide III: Spelljammer is my favorite DnD setting and this sourcebook has good stuff for it. :)

--Complete Guide to Treant: I love plant type creatures, so i like this.
--Complete Guide to Doppleganger: I'm going to read this and watch "They live". Makes good d20 modern foes.
--Complete Guide to Beholders: freakin' nice! Aberrations is my fav type of monsters and this would complement Lords of Madness nicely. :D
--Complete Guide to Rakshasas: Whoa! my first DM campaign had Rakhasas as behind the scene ûber-villains. Now i have this sourcebook to develop my homebrew campaign. 8)

--Monsters of the Endless Dark: YESS!!! WOOTT!! Wanderer's Guide is now completed. This book was on back-order and now i got it. Save myself some money is a bonus! :o
--Enworld Player's Journal 3: a couple of useful articles.

-- a small postcard size laminated card about the extra room/bonus area for DCC #26: The Scaly God. Ha, no idea why it was put in the bag. :?

-- A print of a drawing from DCC #35: Gazetteer of the World by Jason Edwards. This one i like because i love ships. If fact if anyone knows of a good model ship for miniatures let me know.

All in all, it was a great treasure haul, all these books i don't have except for one.
My only regret is that i should had order not 1 but 2 Grab Bags! hehe, so tempted to order another 1. :P
snakewing
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by snakewing »

How long are the gift bags going to be for sale?

I'm seriously considering getting another, but I'm just afraid I'll get some books I already have, or worse miniatures I already have (got two of the same mini in the first giftbag I ordered).

Are these going to be available until New Years?
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

They're available through December 31. If you order a second, there's a decent chance there will be some duplication from the first order -- since they're not being packed at the same time, it's hard to remember what the first one had!
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
Brer Jackalope
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Brer Jackalope »

Just wanted to reply to Goblin's prior post and let you know that the image you received from the Gazetteer of the World was the original line art, not a copy.

Hope you enjoy it and Happy New Year to all!

-Jason Edwards
Nerdy Dad
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Nerdy Dad »

This is my first post here, so I’d like to say this first. Thanks to Goodman Games for the DCC series! Now you can actually PLAY D&D again without requiring about 200 hours of free time to read all the weird rulebooks, campaigns, and run background checks on all the NPC’s. Just crack open a DCC and start cracking heads!

I was fortunate enough to buy 2 gift bags, and I got lucky number 17 and 18 from the list at the start of this thread. For number 17, in addition to the “heart attack” Gazetteer, they gave me a normal Gazetteer (it had a crushed box, and is probably why they didn’t send it out to a paying customer. Doesn’t bother me in the least though). Very cool!

Number 18 was chock full of miniatures, and here’s the list of what I got:

Glyn Trollbane, Human Sorcerer
2x Ynnen "Chitter-Chatter," Kobold Rogue/Ranger
Loros Truebow, Human Ranger/Cleric
3x Oddwit Silverheel, Gnome Fighter/Bard
Ubo Gutrot, Dwarf Barbarian
Veriander Lyras, Half-Elven Cleric/Rogue
Giant Beetle
Raging Owlbear
Deadly Fungus
Stirge Swarm
Pointy-Hatted Wizard
Lizardman Fighter
Lizardman Ranger
Lizardman Cleric
Darkmantle
Otyugh
Wererat Goblin
Basilisk
Large Centipedes
Kobold with Axe

Plus, the owlbear has an extra left arm piece, so if your creative and good with miniatures, you could make a 3 armed owlbear! :) When I added up the prices on this, it amounted to something like $133 - talk about a haul!

However, being a father of a 5 month old daughter, I really don’t have the time to assemble and paint these bad boys. I don’t even really find myself using miniatures when I find time to play the game. Most of the time it’s something like, “ok, this 6 sided is the orc chieftain, and this crumpled up sticky note is the fire elemental”. Not very detailed, but at least you get to use your imagination!

I also got the following $156 in books! I have some of these, so I don’t need the extras. The others look cool, but realistically, I will never have the time to actually USE them.

Complete Guide to Liches
Complete Guide to Vampires
Complete Guide to Dopplegangers
Complete Guide to Treants
Aerial Adventure Guide 2 - original book before compiled into 1 volume
Aerial Adventure Guide 3 - original book before compiled into 1 volume
DragonMech Almanac of the Endless Traders
XCrawl Welcome to Necromantica
Etherscope Upload Etherpunk
Etherscope Just a Delivery
Castles and Crusades Palace of Shadows
DCC #0 (store edition) - Legends are Made, Not Born

Ok - so now that you know what I got, I would like to propose a trade. I would like to offer up ALL the above listed items (miniatures and extra books) for one of the other “special” goodies that came with the $100 grab bag. I am a huge DCC fan, so I’m only interested in things associated with that product line. For example, I would love trading for a special item from grab bag 2, 4 (although I doubt “superfan” in interested in trading at all), 5, and 27. I am also interested in 24, 25, 26, 28, 29, 31, 32. Some of the other DCC items in the list are interesting as well.

Just thought I would throw this out there, as someone will probably have a lot more fun with these items than I will. And that’s the whole point, right? HAVE FUN!

Happy New Year everyone!
Goblin
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Goblin »

Brer Jackalope wrote:Just wanted to reply to Goblin's prior post and let you know that the image you received from the Gazetteer of the World was the original line art, not a copy.

-Jason Edwards
cool, thanks for the clarification. I need to find a frame for it.

i hope Goodman Games does this promotion again next Holiday season.
Frost Giant
Gongfarmer

Holliday Grab Bag.

Post by Frost Giant »

Hello Fellow Gamers!

I was given one of the Grab Bags for Xmas from my beautiful/wonderful girlfriend and was so impressed by what it contained I thought that I would send in a post.

Anyway, after spending the better part of a week travelling back and forth across the snowy wastes of Western Canada I finally got to open the package on New Years Eve. The first thing that struck me was that the shipping box must have weighed about 10 pounds!!!

My Grab Bag had a good selection of figures which included the Castellan, Half-Dragon Ettin and the Devil Lich Chalychia...very nice!

There was also an assortment of Complete Guides...Beholders...Werwolves...Doppelgangers...Rakshasas...and Treants. As I am just getting back into Gaming after a bit of a hiatus (most of the 90's) these will provide valuable adventure ideas and hooks.

Some of the other neat things included in the Grab Bag were DCC Module #25, A Demon Hunter's Handbook, the Morningstar Campaign Setting, Guides for Aerial Adventures and a Book of Traps (a DM can never have too many traps at his/her disposal, right?).

All of this was good and useful stuff, however, the special gift was truely amazing. The Grab Bag contained DCC#0 signed by Erol Otus himself. For us old timers who can remember the mythic days of 1st Edition, Erol Otus is something of an icon (slight understatement). To make the module even cooler, Mr. Otus added a sketch of a dungeon creature under his signature.

Thank-you Goodman Games for making the Grab Bags available, I hope you can find another Dragon Hoard to plunder for next year.

Good Gaming in 2007!

-The Frost Giant
Treebore
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Treebore »

OK Frost Giant, you got something I am actually jealous of. Good for you!
Castles and Crusades is my game of choice!
Jengenritz
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer

Post by Jengenritz »

So I waited until the last minute to get myself a grab-bag...wanted to make sure no family members got me one, you know how it is...

Here was my haul:

Etherscope: Upload: Etherpunk and The Great Metropolis
Castles and Crusades: Player's Handbook
Lethal Legacies: Traps of the World Before
Complete Guides: Fey, Rakshasa, Beholders, Treants
Iron Heroes: Song of the Blade
Demon Hunter's Handbook
DCC: #10-The Sunless Garden, #36-Talons of the Horned King, #37-The Slithering Overlord, #38-Escape from the Forest of Lanterns
XCrawl: Emperor's Cup 4700
a few Bookmarks o'Doom
and some snazzy, signed art from The Sunless Garden by William McAusland of a Deadwood Treant about to WORK a party of clueless adventurers

My wife and I had a bet as to whether or not I'd get some of my own maps back as the special secret prize.
All in all, a pretty clean haul with very little overlap with what I already had...just a few Complete Guides and DCC#10. I was particularly tickled to get the art 'cause DCC #10 was not only the first two DCCs I ever bought (simultaneous with Aerie of the Crow God), but is one of my faves.
Co-Author: The Almanac of the Endless Traders, DCC #13, DCC #29, DCC #49, DCC #51, DCC #52, DCC #63

Author: DCC #55: Isle of the Sea Drake, DCC #61: Citadel of the Corruptor, more to come....
Ludyee
Far-Sighted Wanderer

My grab bag

Post by Ludyee »

Thought I'd post my goodies here also. DCCs are at the top of my list, but I really don't own much of anything from Goodman Games so interested in an assortment.

Minis:
(lots)
2 Kaila Human Druid (Don't know why the duplicate.)
Lizardman Fighter
Ynnen, Kobold Ranger
Loros Truebow, Holy Ranger
Ubo Gutrot, Dwarf
Master Lerenev Human Fighter
Pointy-Hatted Wizard (great name)
Rella Rubyhair Halfling Bard
Viriander Lyras, Half-Elf Cleric
Otyugh
Deadly Fungus (would have been good if multiples of this)
The Castellan, Half-Dragon Ettin

Books:
Demon Hunter's Handbook
En World Players Journal #3
Morningstar
DragonMech Almanac of the Endless Traders
The Complete Guide to Rakshasas
The Complete Guide to Werewolves
The Complete Guide to Beholders (been eyeing this one for awhile, glad I got it)
Lethal Legacies, Traps of the World Before
Monsters of the Endless Dark
Monsters of the Boundless Blue
Etherscope Upload: Etherpunk
AND
DCC #12 The Blackguard's Revenge (Yes, I don't have this one.)
DCC #28 Into the Wilds (Shucks, I have it already)
DCC #36 Talons of the Horned King (Have this one already too)

Unique:
Line-art from DCC#35 by Jason Edwards (Stern of a ship at port with Sahuagin and Kraken swimming around (page 51 fof one of the books)).

Well I really only own about 5 DCCs and 2 of the 3 that came in the grab bag happened to be one of those 5.

Anyone know if there is a DCC where 2 Druids would be nice to have as figures?

Loved the overall contents and can't wait to digest the material contained therein. I also have quite a bit of mini painting to catch up on.

E.

Return to “Goodman Games General”