Search found 93 matches

by jozxyqk
Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:45 am
Forum: DCC RPG Adventure Modules
Topic: Sailors of the Charred Astrologer
Replies: 19
Views: 7281

Re: Sailors of the Charred Astrologer

Great play report! I have to say, one of my most irksome pet peeves is when a player asks: "Can I ....?" I have taken to responding, "You can do...\/\/hatever you want." They've finally started to get the picture. I don't remember this being a problem in older editions. I just wonder if d20 broke a...
by jozxyqk
Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:05 pm
Forum: Characters
Topic: Wizard vs Elf
Replies: 15
Views: 10461

Re: Wizard vs Elf

The main advantage, I find, is that each character has a 69% chance of being able to be a Wizard vs. a 31% chance that their class is decided for them, and only a third of those whose class is determined for them by occupation roll are Elf characters. A 69% chance to be a Wizard vs. a 10% chance to...
by jozxyqk
Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:03 am
Forum: Characters
Topic: Wizard vs Elf
Replies: 15
Views: 10461

Re: Wizard vs Elf

The main advantage, I find, is that each character has a 69% chance of being able to be a Wizard vs. a 31% chance that their class is decided for them, and only a third of those whose class is determined for them by occupation roll are Elf characters. A 69% chance to be a Wizard vs. a 10% chance to...
by jozxyqk
Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:46 am
Forum: Rules discussion
Topic: Birth Auger at +0
Replies: 28
Views: 11858

Re: Birth Auger at +0

Regardless of the Birth Auger, it is entirely conceivable that Al the warrior rolls 8, 4, 9 (not bad!) whereas Bob the warrior rolls 3, 6, 2 (ouch!). The problem is it might be Bob who has the -1 hp per level birth augur... Some players may like the challenge but I know many would be irritated his ...
by jozxyqk
Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:55 am
Forum: DCC RPG Adventure Modules
Topic: The 13th Skull / The Balance Blade
Replies: 15
Views: 9674

Re: The 13th Skull / The Balance Blade

Any chance anyone wants to post an actual photo of the limited edition cover of this module? I love my LE rulebook, and I'm trying to decide whether I can justify getting the black/silver cover... maybe even framing the damn thing after I've run it...
by jozxyqk
Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:22 am
Forum: Rules discussion
Topic: awarding xp
Replies: 16
Views: 8151

Re: awarding xp

If I use XP (and, frankly, I don't do it much anymore) I do it at the end of the adventure session or when they hit a convenient stopping point in the adventure such as ending a module. Nowadays I mostly keep XP very loose and just let the group know when they level up. XP is one more detail that I...
by jozxyqk
Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:37 am
Forum: Rules discussion
Topic: Another Recover the Body Question
Replies: 12
Views: 6937

Re: Another Recover the Body Question

I don't like TND and RC interpretation (though it is the most natural reading of the text) because it becomes not necessarily obvious that you want to save your buddy who's bleeding out. This is problematic to me. I don't think there should be any situation where a character would *want* the party ...
by jozxyqk
Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:34 pm
Forum: Rules discussion
Topic: Another Recover the Body Question
Replies: 12
Views: 6937

Re: Another Recover the Body Question

I don't like TND and RC interpretation (though it is the most natural reading of the text) because it becomes not necessarily obvious that you want to save your buddy who's bleeding out. This is problematic to me. I don't think there should be any situation where a character would *want* the party t...
by jozxyqk
Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:50 pm
Forum: DCC RPG Adventure Modules
Topic: Modules in Washington State...
Replies: 3
Views: 2265

Modules in Washington State...

My FLGS seems to have trouble getting DCC RPG modules in -- when last I checked they told me that their distributor reported being out of Starless Sea, and that People of the Pit was not available in the "Western warehouse." Both have been on order for quite some time, and I'm starting to get antsy....
by jozxyqk
Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:05 pm
Forum: DCC RPG General
Topic: Selling loot...
Replies: 29
Views: 8792

Selling loot...

How do others deal with players selling the gains of their dungeon forays? Is it an in-game process? ("Want to sell those crystals you recovered in the Portal Under the Stars? Better get yourself to a city with a gem dealer, or be prepared to haggle with the local blacksmith about how many handfuls ...
by jozxyqk
Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:33 am
Forum: Judges' Forum
Topic: Anybody daring to swear he doesn't roll concealed? ;)
Replies: 69
Views: 41060

Re: Anybody daring to swear he doesn't roll concealed? ;)

Good points, acting, radio, muppet shows, playing RPGs, murder and mystery nights, delivering a presentation to a client like jozxyqk suggested, they're all different experiences. I don't think we can conclude to any one single good way to do it for either one of those, let alone for all of them! M...
by jozxyqk
Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:19 pm
Forum: Judges' Forum
Topic: Anybody daring to swear he doesn't roll concealed? ;)
Replies: 69
Views: 41060

Re: Anybody daring to swear he doesn't roll concealed? ;)

What I do is use a side table where I set up my screen and maps, if I feel it's necessary, otherwise I use no screen at all. In any event, no screen on the gaming table between the players and I. I encourage you to at least try that, it's a different energy at the table. I've been doing that for a ...
by jozxyqk
Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:35 pm
Forum: DCC RPG Third Party Publishers
Topic: Patrons supplement Kickstarter live!
Replies: 320
Views: 190068

Re: Patrons supplement Kickstarter live!

Thanks for taking the point on this, Sean. Some other possible titles: "Unnatural Agencies: A Patron Sourcebook for Dungeon Crawl Classics RPG"? "At Their Bidding: A Patron Sourcebook for DCC RPG"? "Bazaar of the Benefactors: A Patron Sourcebook for DCC RPG"? "Angels, Daemons, and Beings Between: A...
by jozxyqk
Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:39 am
Forum: Judges' Forum
Topic: Anybody daring to swear he doesn't roll concealed? ;)
Replies: 69
Views: 41060

Re: Anybody daring to swear he doesn't roll concealed? ;)

I like to roll in the open. My only issue is that table space is relatively limited -- I have a screen up in order to keep my maps secret, so if I roll in the open I have to stand up and toss the dice in the middle of the table on the other side of the screen. This leads to the problem of gradually ...
by jozxyqk
Fri May 25, 2012 2:06 pm
Forum: DCC RPG General
Topic: The pre-order shipments have left the printer!
Replies: 310
Views: 102145

Re: The pre-order shipments have left the printer!

My FLGS received my preorder today! It is magnificent -- I think I'm going to have to order the black and gold copy as well.. .
by jozxyqk
Thu May 24, 2012 8:17 am
Forum: DCC RPG General
Topic: DCC RPG- having problems getting it to work for me/us.
Replies: 63
Views: 17005

Re: DCC RPG- having problems getting it to work for me/us.

Why was 3.5/Pathfinder a minmax nightmare? In my games, Pathfinder/3.5 was a very streamlined and simple game, How? I didn't let players break the game. ( which could be done in any edition mind you) We had a player who would create an Arcane Winged Ape/ Red Wizard if you let him, but we didn't let...
by jozxyqk
Wed May 23, 2012 11:03 am
Forum: DCC RPG General
Topic: DCC RPG- having problems getting it to work for me/us.
Replies: 63
Views: 17005

Re: DCC RPG- having problems getting it to work for me/us.

Where the problem to be addressed is that "DCCRPG feels unnecessarily clunky and complex and I am having trouble explaining it to new players," it is simply not helpful to respond with "DCC RPG (and by extension, me) is hardcore--a system for people who can handle flawed characters and character de...
by jozxyqk
Mon May 21, 2012 8:29 am
Forum: DCC RPG General
Topic: DCC RPG- having problems getting it to work for me/us.
Replies: 63
Views: 17005

Re: DCC RPG- having problems getting it to work for me/us.

I have not yet played DCC RPG (preordered my copy at my FLGS--excited to see it soon!), but I am annoyed by how many posters have taken what seems to me to be a fairly straightforward post about DCC RPG's complexity as to new players, and twisted it to advance a preconceived narrative of "DCC RPG vs...

Go to advanced search