Search found 126 matches

by moes1980
Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:28 am
Forum: Playtest Feedback: Other
Topic: Idea: Remove most negative penalties from DCCRPG
Replies: 34
Views: 21339

Re: Idea: Remove most negative penalties from DCCRPG

This sounds like a good idea. using the lower die types for using untrained weapons, initiative checks when wilding a great sword, and other "static" mods that are not situational sounds like a great way to give the game a bit of its own feel and utilize those cool dice more often. I will change the...
by moes1980
Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:22 am
Forum: Playtest Feedback: Other
Topic: Scrap the XP table. One table to rule them all
Replies: 47
Views: 29456

Re: Scrap the XP table. One table to rule them all

I would vote to keep the advancement rates different for each class. I don't belive it makes the game harder to run or more complicated. In the old days, I knew how much xp my fighter needed to reach the next level, belive me. Not once during a session did some one go "what? my mage needs a differen...
by moes1980
Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:43 am
Forum: Playtest Feedback: Characters
Topic: Luck Kind of Sucks
Replies: 105
Views: 63483

Re: Luck Kind of Sucks

What I like about the "only luck on your own rolls" rule is that it really speeds play. The DM doesn't need to pause after each attack roll to find out of the player wants to spend luck (or rewind because they keep going and the player takes ten seconds to speak up). Players can add luck to saving ...
by moes1980
Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:45 pm
Forum: Playtest Feedback: Characters
Topic: Cleric's Divine Aid - It just isn't adding up for me
Replies: 13
Views: 6085

Re: Cleric's Divine Aid - It just isn't adding up for me

I thought the -10 only applied to further attempts to cast devine aid for the day, not for casting other cleric spells that day, or did I misread it?
by moes1980
Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:42 pm
Forum: Playtest Feedback: Characters
Topic: Warriors: "Lucky Weapon"
Replies: 27
Views: 15430

Re: Warriors: "Lucky Weapon"

I dont know about all this talk here, one reason why its so bad to burn luck is because it has all kinds of negative consequences down the road. So, taking away those consequences sounds like potential trouble. As for the with the lucky weapon, yes, at low leves you can swithc out your weapons if yo...
by moes1980
Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:30 pm
Forum: Playtest Feedback: Characters
Topic: Luck Kind of Sucks
Replies: 105
Views: 63483

Re: Luck Kind of Sucks

I think luck should be allowed to adjust monster to hit rolls to allow pcs to avoid getting hit as well I disagree, I think there should always be the chance that the opposition got lucky. Thieves could become invincible otherwise, especially in one-shot sessions. Thieves avoid getting hit by being...
by moes1980
Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:21 pm
Forum: Playtest Feedback: Characters
Topic: What happens when a (n)th level character dies?
Replies: 8
Views: 7338

Re: What happens when a (n)th level character dies?

Yeah, I think every group will works this issue out a bit differently which is fine. Im planning on letting characters chose to make 2-4 lvl 0s, than they can chose to keep playing each pc that lived or hold which ever ones they want in reserve. Then, if they lose all thier characters later on, I mi...
by moes1980
Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:13 pm
Forum: Playtest Feedback: Characters
Topic: Ability Score Modifier Progression
Replies: 15
Views: 4700

Re: Ability Score Modifier Progression

In this game, unlike 3E, you could perfectly play a 13 INT wizard, without feeling like garbage. This is what I think is so great about the system. It does take getting used to, and is an adjustment, particularly for those with a point buy background. What makes the game work is that you don't need...
by moes1980
Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:02 pm
Forum: Playtest Feedback: Characters
Topic: Elves, Wizards, Balance, Oh My!
Replies: 15
Views: 5253

Re: Elves, Wizards, Balance, Oh My!

Maybe the balance is this, if you roll an elf, your stuck playing an elf despite your rolls! What I mean is, I had a level 0 elf in my playtest with an int of 4 or 5! So, when he reached level one, he had a horrible time casting spells, and was about impossible to cast a level one spell if he starte...
by moes1980
Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:50 pm
Forum: Playtest Feedback: Characters
Topic: Luck Kind of Sucks
Replies: 105
Views: 63483

Re: Luck Kind of Sucks

I would point out that only halflings and thievs recover luck points by resting. All other classes it counts as a permenant loss unless rewarded by a diety or DM for some exceptional accomplishments. Also, remmeber that luck affects listing checks, and rolls on fumble and crit tables, as well as wha...
by moes1980
Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:44 pm
Forum: Playtest Feedback: Characters
Topic: Beta Testing Questions from my group.
Replies: 11
Views: 3939

Re: Beta Testing Questions from my group.

I actually tell my players by how much they failed a roll and let them decide if they want to burn the luck rather than let them guess. The reason is that burning luck really, really hurts and other than the thief and halfling, pcs don't get those points back just by resting. Also, I house ruled it ...
by moes1980
Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:40 am
Forum: DCC RPG General
Topic: Mighty Deeds of Arms
Replies: 29
Views: 10417

Re: Mighty Deeds of Arms

DON'T GET RID OF THE GUIDELINES!!!! Ok, maybe some GMs are aswome and don't need them, but others do need them and want them. When in doubt about including something like this, include it, and if others don't like it they can ignore that section. And for people who are worried the players will try t...
by moes1980
Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:19 pm
Forum: DCC RPG General
Topic: GM Screen
Replies: 16
Views: 4606

Re: GM Screen

Have you ever seen Hackmaster's 32 page GM screen? You wouldn't think it's possible, but they did it, and did it well. You have to see it to get the idea, but something like that would work great for DCC's many tables and such. Yes, I have, own one :P Its like a dm screen with several "pages" that ...
by moes1980
Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:30 pm
Forum: DCC RPG General
Topic: GM Screen
Replies: 16
Views: 4606

Re: GM Screen

there are so many charts, im thinking of going with a binder with tabs that list each crit table, coruption table, devine disaproval, fumbles, and spell dualing charts, and MDoA guidelines. Then ill think about making a home made screen with combat mods, conditions for making moral checks, unholy tu...
by moes1980
Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:21 pm
Forum: DCC RPG General
Topic: Monster XP
Replies: 16
Views: 4138

Re: Monster XP

With the threshold of achieving level 1 being 100 experience points, I wonder if the DCC RPG was meant to be used with the pre-3e XP rules. You know the sliding scale, 5 XP for a 1 HD monster, 15 for a 2 HD monsters, and so on and so forth, although I don't know if what values I have posted are ent...
by moes1980
Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:12 pm
Forum: DCC RPG General
Topic: Selling DCC to my group
Replies: 26
Views: 6632

Re: Selling DCC to my group

Well, my strategy is talk up all the cool stuff you can do as a way to compete with all those "options" in the other games. Fighters being able to do mighty deed of arms every attack, level one magic missles that have the potential to fire 5d10 magicic misslies that each do d10+caster level damage a...
by moes1980
Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:55 pm
Forum: DCC RPG General
Topic: Rules printed out and put into plastic binder. Some thoughts
Replies: 8
Views: 3384

Re: Rules printed out and put into plastic binder. Some thou

Printed mine out at office max for about 17 bucks (i got the cover in black in white and printed the whole thing double sided). Don't know if that was cheaper or not but it at least made me feel like I didn't need to worry about all the ink :P
by moes1980
Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:16 pm
Forum: DCC RPG General
Topic: Warriors and MDoA's
Replies: 63
Views: 14300

Re: Warriors and MDoA's

...What actually happens is up to the DM, as always... I think this is where the root of the problem lives. Unfortunately, as my experience with the RPGA and my own home-games for the past decade has proven, what "actually happens" isn't "always" up to the DM. It's what I was used to when I first p...
by moes1980
Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:42 pm
Forum: DCC RPG General
Topic: DCC Character Sheet?
Replies: 24
Views: 5382

Re: DCC Character Sheet?

Race as Class Still not a fan of this. It's one of the reasons I can't get RC to the table. Too many friends think this it is stupid that all Elves are the SAME and all dwarves are the SAME. Yeah, I will miss playing my dwarven fighter/thief and it will be a hurddle for convincing some players to d...
by moes1980
Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:08 pm
Forum: DCC RPG General
Topic: The beta rules will be available...
Replies: 65
Views: 20720

Re: The beta rules will be available...

mshensley wrote:For spellbooks, I think something like this would be pretty cool-

http://strangemagic.robertsongames.com/ ... lbook.html

Image
That looks awsome!
by moes1980
Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:08 pm
Forum: DCC RPG General
Topic: The beta rules will be available...
Replies: 65
Views: 20720

Re: The beta rules will be available...

And not to steal thunder from moes, but the idea of a pdf for the spells has been suggested in these forums before... Good point, credit where credit is due! Maybe it was just thought of the little printed "portfolio" spell book that got me excited. I suddenly had this image of the wizards referenc...
by moes1980
Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:13 pm
Forum: DCC RPG General
Topic: The beta rules will be available...
Replies: 65
Views: 20720

Re: The beta rules will be available...

Actually, in game turns dosnt a spell take up one page per level of spell in the spell book? I would say print out each page and stable them and than you have an actual spell book at the table that you can look up spells in! That sounds cool, even if it dose take up a bit of space. Maybe when the f...
by moes1980
Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:28 pm
Forum: DCC RPG General
Topic: Warriors and MDoA's
Replies: 63
Views: 14300

Re: Warriors and MDoA's

You really think a 1st level fighter with a spear with no str bonus should have a 17% chance off putting spear through the front rank mook and pinning the second rank mook to him. (33% for roll 3 on d3 times 50% chance to hit a fellow first level mook = 17%). After the first time that works all the...
by moes1980
Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:30 pm
Forum: DCC RPG General
Topic: The beta rules will be available...
Replies: 65
Views: 20720

Re: The beta rules will be available...

Is that Wed at midnight? :D:D:D
by moes1980
Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:19 pm
Forum: DCC RPG General
Topic: Warriors and MDoA's
Replies: 63
Views: 14300

Re: Warriors and MDoA's

Sorry about all the grammer mistakes in that post, I shuold have proof read it better :(

Go to advanced search