Xcrawl Core Rulebook, Color Edition
Fabulous prizes! Cars, wealth, and a year’s supply of furniture wax! All of these – and much, much more – can be yours... if you survive. Of course, you are going to have to kill the monsters to get the treasure, and you aren’t the crowd favorite today, and the cameras are very unforgiving. But there are no second takes, and if you die... YOU DIE!
In Xcrawl, the players are superstar athletes taking their chances in a live-on-pay-per-view death sport. It’s a modern-day world with a fantasy twist, and the game is simple: the Dungeon Judge, or DJ, creates an artificial dungeon under controlled – but lethal – conditions. He designs the maze, and stocks it with monsters, secret doors, magical traps, treasure and prizes. The players must go through the dungeon and fulfill whatever conditions the DJ puts forth in order to win.
Xcrawl is a sport and the challenges are created, but the danger is no less real. If you die, you die. There are no second chances. Citizens of the North American Empire tune in every week to watch their favorite celebrities get eaten, paralyzed, turned to stone, and ripped apart. The nation’s hunger for blood and mayhem grows with every contest. How will you fare?
The Xcrawl core rulebook includes everything you need to start playing Xcrawl, including background material, equipment, character options, and new rules for Xcrawl, including rules for mojo, fame, signature moves, and more. It also includes MemphisCrawl XVII, a level 3-5 introductory Xcrawl adventure.
Rules Set: d20 v3.5.
- Nominee, Best d20 Game, 2005 Gen Con ENnie Awards
- Nominee, Best Production Values, 2005 Gen Con ENnie Awards
- Nominee, Best Campaign Setting/Setting Supplement, 2005 Gen Con ENnie Awards
- EN World Staff Review: 5 stars. "It's perhaps unlike any other campaign setting I've seen, in that Dungeon Crawling is a televised professional sport, and the PCs are professional athletes instead of adventurers... The book itself is great for reading. Hillarious in places. So you won't waste your money if you buy this, even if you never run it."
- RPGNow Fan Review: 5 stars. "Xcrawl itself isn't the most interesting feature of the setting, but it's a great excuse for getting PCs up to a decent level before involving them in the real meat of the setting -- the intrigue in the Leagues, how they can use their celebrity to change the world around them, and how they interact with the lunatic populace and government."
- RPG.net Fan Review: 4-1/2 stars. "If you and your group like good old-fashioned dungeon crawls and WWE Smackdown, you'll love Xcrawl. If you're like me and don't particularly care for that style of play, Xcrawl could change your mind. It did for me and that's high praise for any book."
Published in cooperation with Pandahead Publishing.
GMGP1050, hardback, full color, 240 pages, $37.95