Dungeon Crawl Classics #13:
Crypt of the Devil Lich
Gen Con 2004 Tournament Module
For 15th Level Characters
Remember the good old days, when adventures were underground, NPCs were there to be killed, and the finale of every dungeon was the dragon on the 20th level? Those days are back. Dungeon Crawl Classics don't waste your time with long-winded speeches, weird campaign settings, or NPCs who aren't meant to be killed. Each adventure is 100% good, solid dungeon crawl, with the monsters you know, the traps you fear, and the secret doors you know are there somewhere.
This special tournament module was used for the First Annual Dungeon Crawl Classics Open Tournament in at Gen Indy 2004. The module includes the official tournament scoring system and pregenerated characters, as well as almost two dozen illustrated player handouts.
An ancient prophecy sends the heroes into the crypt of the Devil Lich to destroy her before she can return to power. Once inside, they must face horrors that could only be dreamt of by a mad half-drow half-fiend lich!
- The most vicious dungeon crawl since Tomb of Horrors, created in homage to this classic with the goal of providing an even greater challenge
- An adventure destined to be legend, created collaboratively by 10 talented dungeon designers
- Color! The first printing is the first to feature color interior art (second printing in B/W)
- The same module enjoyed by 52 gamers in the First Annual Dungeon Crawl Classics Open Tournament at Gen Con Indy 2004
- 25 keyed encounter areas, each one a unique challenge, with a whopping 22 illustrated player handouts
- The longest DCC to date -- 96 pages of dungeon crawl action! Good for many, many sessions of home play
- Highlights from the convention tournament, including 2 pages of color photos, the Erol Otus art of the convention winner, a Roster of Heroes recording all those who tried to best the Crypt at Gen Con '04, the tournament scoring rules and pregenerated characters, and more
Rules Set: d20 v3.5.
Áereth Map Grid: TM13.
Tournament Results: For a recap of the Gen Con tournament, click here.
- Winner, Best Adventure, 2005 Pen & Paper Fan Awards
- RPG Now fan review: 4 stars. "Now, to my amazement, Goodman Games has managed to single-handedly redeem the 'killer dungeon' sub-genre, and to create something worthwhile out of a sub-genre which I have always considered beyond redemption. In my opinion, the student has surpassed the master in this endeavor. The Crypt of the Devil-Lich is the high-level, high-risk adventure the Tomb of Horrors never was, and ought to have been."
- EN World, staff reviewer John Cooper: 4 stars. "I think Crypt of the Devil Lich does a great job in doing what it sets out to do: provide the DM with a 'meatgrinder' PC-killer of an adventure that any PC would be proud to be able to boast that he survived. The numerous player handouts add greatly to the adventure's appeal, and the majority of the tricks and traps in the crypt are very well thought out, with rules accounting for most everything a PC might try. Without giving anything away to those who might go through this adventure, I really liked the word-puzzle in room 3-3; congratulations to Mike Ferguson for a real brain teaser!"
- Battle Maps: Visit Prester's Maps and Charts Emporium to download battle maps for this adventure.
- Tournament Materials: These tournament materials may be useful for home tournaments.
Developer and Project Manager: Chris Doyle
Additional Development: Jason Little
Writers: Chris Doyle, Lisa Doyle, Mike Ferguson, Joseph Goodman, Andrew Hind, Jason Little, Adrian M. Pommier, Jeffrey Quinn, F. Wesley Schneider, Andrew N. Smith
Front Cover Artist: Erol Otus
Back Cover Artist: William McAusland
Interior Artists: Ian Armstrong, Jeff Doten, Jason Edwards, Michael Erickson, Tom Galambos, Friedrich Haas, James Holloway, Cliff Kurowski, Eric Lofgren, Lokarian, William McAusland, Brad McDevitt, Jesse Mohn, Erol Otus, Mark Parsons, Jim Pavelec, Chris Watkins, Chuck Whelon, Leo Winstead
Cartographer: Jeremy Simmons
Editor: Ken Hart
First printing: GMG5012, 96 pages, color interior, $24.99
Second printing: GMG5012R, 96 pages, B/W interior, $19.99
I got wasted by the Devil Lich!
"Well, folks, here it is. Uh... Bill... why don't you go in first?"
Advance cautiously. The key word is cautiously...
The Chapel of Khetira. Who's afraid of a drow vampire, his sorceress lover, and their massive animated cobra statue?
Underwater spiked pit traps? And ghost sharks? Who thinks up this stuff?
"A hall of statues? Surely there can't be two animated statues in the same dungeon?"
"The Devil Lich isn't in right now. This is Foegar, her assistant... can I take a message?"
When you're in the Crypt of the Devil Lich, you shouldn't stop to smell the roses -- but you should definitely stop to read the runes on the floor...
Player handouts! And lots of them!