Dungeon Crawl Classics #12.5:
The Iron Crypt of the Heretics
An Adventure for Character Levels 11-13
Remember the good old days, when adventures were underground, NPCs were there to be killed, and the finale of every dungeon was the dragon on the 20th level? Those days are back. Dungeon Crawl Classics don't waste your time with long-winded speeches, weird campaign settings, or NPCs who aren't meant to be killed. Each adventure is 100% good, solid dungeon crawl, with the monsters you know, the traps you fear, and the secret doors you know are there somewhere.
Many centuries ago, a band of paladins fell from grace. These blackguards were defeated after a great battle and their grim fortress, the Iron Tower, was razed. A small abbey was established near the ruins, where generations of monks mixed ancient eldritch wards, mighty clockwork traps, and multiple failsafes to build the Iron Crypt of the Heretics. Three mighty vaults ensured that its evils would be sealed for all eternity. But unbeknownst to the brotherhood, their impregnable crypt had a single weakness: the very monks that had built it, for they knew its secrets. When a devourer stole into their abbey, the profane beast forced the monks to help it inside the Iron Crypt. It successfully broke into the first of three vaults, releasing an army of wights. The story of the devourer and his wight army is told in Dungeon Crawl Classics #12: The Blackguard's Revenge. Now, in the Iron Crypt of the Heretics, the heroes must venture into a crypt designed by the world's greatest thieves, magicians, and seers, solve its puzzles and deadly traps, and seal it once more from the outside world.
- A devious, dangerous dungeon built to keep great evil imprisoned forever.
- A stand-alone adventure that can be played as a sequel or prequel to DCC #12: The Blackguard's Revenge, or on its own.
- Seven illustrated player handouts.
Rules Set: d20 v3.5.
Áereth Map Grid: TM8.
- EN World: "In short, if youíre looking for a solid adventure with lots of opportunities for players to exercise their brains as well as their brawn, the Iron Crypt of the Heretics is for you. Itís quick to start and straightforward enough to require minimum adjustment prior to playing."
- Nomination, Best Adventure, 2006 Gen Con ENnie Awards
Writer: Harley Stroh
Front Cover Artist: Leo Winstead
Back Cover Artist: William McAusland
Interior Artists: Jason Edwards, Doug Kovacs, Brad McDevitt, Jesse Mohn, Chris Watkins, Leo Winstead
Cartographer: Jeremy Simmons
GMG50125; 24 pages; detachable cover; $10.99.
The frozen wastes hold many dangers.
There lies the Iron Crypt of the Heretics!
Watch out for heretics!
Be nice on the way up. You never know what monsters you'll meet on the way down...
Who knows what secrets lie buried in the sand?