Dungeon Crawl Classics #12:
An Adventure for Character Levels 9-11
The Blackguard's Revenge
Remember the good old days, when adventures were underground, NPCs were there to be killed, and the finale of every dungeon was the dragon on the 20th level? Those days are back. Dungeon Crawl Classics don't waste your time with long-winded speeches, weird campaign settings, or NPCs who aren't meant to be killed. Each adventure is 100% good, solid dungeon crawl, with the monsters you know, the traps you fear, and the secret doors you know are there somewhere.
When the heroes come into town, word arrives that a nearby cloister of the god of valor is under siege by an army of undead. The adventurers travel to help defend the bastion of paladins, only to discover that these undead are actually ancient enemies of the paladins' order. They have discovered a way to exact vengeance for slights committed centuries ago, but to finish their plan they must breach the cloister's catacombs! Can the heroes battle them to the catacombs and defeat their horrific blackguard champion?
- You've asked for it: a DCC featuring an undead army. Here it is! A blackguard's army of wights, devourers, and mohrgs are ready to face your noble heroes.
- 48 keyed encounter areas against a relentless army of undead
- A magic item of near-artifact power holds the power to sway the battle -- will the heroes discover this fact in time to save the paladins?
- Four illustrated player handouts
Rules Set: d20 v3.5.
Áereth Map Grid: TM8.
- EN World, fan review: 5 stars. "Do buy this adventure if your PCs need to kick some serious undead butt; if your heroes want to face down a true army of undead; if you want to make your players quiver over their character sheets; if you want a night of memorable gaming!"
- EN World, fan review: 4 stars. "The Blackguard's Revenge is a solid dungeon crawl in a more dynamic setting with some opportunity for roleplaying. It's well-presented, pays attention to details, creates ambience and offers interesting and exciting challenges."
- EN World, fan review: 4 stars. "Overall, this is close to what I'd have written for my own campaign, if I had the time, so I'm psyched and I really want to use it. I buy a lot of adventures, but for most, I'm like "ehh"; this one is way more than "ehh" for me -- nearly perfect, to me, but tastes vary."
Writer: F. Wesley Schneider
Front Cover Artist: Jim Pavelec
Back Cover Artist: Brad McDevitt
Interior Artists: Jason Edwards, William McAusland, Brad McDevitt, Jesse Mohn
Cartographer: Jeremy Simmons
GMG5010, 40 pages, $11.99.
The undead invade!
An order of paladins is under siege... can the heroes sway the battle?
Wights! Wights everywhere! Can you say, "energy drain"?
The blackguard himself: Grave, evilest of them all.