The Complete Guide to Doppelgangers
What if everyone around you were a doppelganger... and only you didn't know?
Most GMs use doppelgangers in the same basic way: there are a couple doppelgangers who impersonate an important figure, and they may be involved with the thieves' guild. The Complete Guide to Doppelgangers sets out to develop doppelgangers into something more than that. It answers the questions about doppelgangers that have never been asked, much less answered: Why do they want to impersonate people? What do they get out of it? What is their society like? And the scariest question of all: How many doppelgangers are out there? The ones you hear about are those who impersonate the king or run the thieves guild... but what if they're just the fall guys, to distract us from the entire neighborhoods that have been replaced by doppelgangers impersonating mundane shop keepers and farmers? And what about the rustic doppelgangers, who impersonate bears and deer and other mundane creatures? Once you understand a doppelganger's motivations, you realize that impersonating the king is more important to us than them.
The Complete Guide to Doppelgangers is a stand-alone, world-neutral sourcebook covering everything you ever wanted to know about doppelgangers. As a GM, you'll learn how to run doppelgangers -- both in combat and role-playing situations. And since every Complete Guide includes guidelines on playing the monster as a character race, players have new options, too. The Complete Guide to Doppelgangers features:
- The true origin of these bizarre creatures.
- Background on doppelganger social structure, including their various life stages and details on how they have penetrated human and demi-human society.
- Unique campaign ideas and adventure hooks centered around doppelgangers.
- New monster stats for intriguing variations on the standard doppelganger.
Rules Set: d20 v3.5.
- The Firebrand: A prestige class devoted to hunting shapechangers, including doppelgangers and wererats. 76K PDF.
- Geistspeakers: Rules for doppelganger clerics. 200K PDF.
- Blackborough: A detailed doppelganger node (constructed using the guidelines for building doppelganger communities described on pages 27-28 of the book). 200K PDF.
- Dungeon Doppelgangers: Full information on the third subspecies of doppelgangers. 200K PDF.
Writer: Keith Baker
Cover Artist: V. Shane
Interior Artist: Andy Hopp
32 pages, $11.00
A doppelganger impersonating a dwarf
Which one is the noble, and which one's the doppelganger?
The Extend Limb feat in action
An urban mimic traps yet another victim...